Ancestry site shite

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Searched for topics and couldn’t get anywhere so, rather than lob it in the nature section, technology’s arena seems more appropriate

My brother bought an Ancestry dna “kit’ (mouth swab, envelope) for Christmas to complete. Naturally, Ancestry’s base is in Utah, full of Christian cultists and western scenery, what could possibly be malevolent about building a global ancestry database? What could possibly be done profiling genetic lineages re disease or whatever other excuses are needed?

Didn’t submit the sample after much fumbling around connecting cousins who already had trees - perversely all the data worth finding has been submitted from people we’re a fair few degrees of separation from. In 4 days I completed about 13-14 generations which, traumatically, included one English person. It’s not abstract identitarianism or blood that draws you in but names, inherited names, places, census data, photos, marriages, births, colonial transport for Australian convicts was one useful source, a shocking number of clergymen of the Protestant faith and surgeons on my Mum’s side another etc. A leap in life expectancy in the 1800’s evolves as survivable operations rolled out, I’ve googled address after address due to google st views too, another dopamine hit

Total dopamine trap overall. And weird too, all these ghosts looking back at you, people you didn’t know existed prior to any involvement, all long dead like you will be. You can delete your tree but there’s so many that overlap, your genetics has probably already been decoded remotely somewhere in Salt Lake City

william_kent

the Mormon "Ancestry' thing is because they want to baptise the dead, it bumps the membership numbers up

The LDS Church teaches that deceased persons who have not accepted, or had the opportunity to accept, the gospel of Christ in this life will have such opportunity in the afterlife. The belief is that as all must follow Jesus Christ, they must also receive all the ordinances that a living person is expected to receive, including baptism. For this reason, members of the LDS Church are encouraged to research their genealogy. This research is then used as the basis for church performing temple ordinances for as many deceased persons as possible. As a part of these efforts, Latter-day Saints have performed temple ordinances on behalf of a number of high-profile people, including the Founding Fathers of the United States,[45][46][47] U.S. Presidents,[45] most Catholic popes,[48][49] John Wesley,[45] Christopher Columbus,[45] Adolf Hitler,[48] Joan of Arc,[48] Genghis Khan,[48] Joseph Stalin,[48] and Gautama Buddha.[48]

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
there’s no therapy for English ancestry as it is Gus, they weren’t from Oxfordshire they were from Yorkshire too and that’s fairly ironic given how much time I’ve spent in Sheffield and regional stereotypes - genetic resolution isn’t what you get from ancestry, it’s a spreadsheet

faith inheritance is another one particularly if you know the north of Ireland intimately

both world wars shape practically everyone on source files, pensions, people staying on or moving to relatives in Boston/Quebec and returning to Boston for 200+ years, which is nothing in the big scheme of deeper timeframes except the virtual age of your nation, war is intriguing for who makes it through too and who doesn’t

admit to wanting a more granular analysis than the sum total of surnames and specific geo-biases but such perks come with complete surrender of your dna, what you may be susceptible to health wise and you’d be as well off contacting a local university for your familial dna analysis

with Utah I couldn’t help think of a mix of huge paper roller churning out personal data by people like this

2D9FAC28-87C1-4313-B98B-904EDCEC52AF.jpeg

martin

----
I don't believe these sites or companies know what they're talking about. How can they compare DNA samples when they didn't even have that technology before the 1980s?

"Your great great great grandfather was a Sioux blacksmith in Chattanooga" - who's going to contradict them? I can't exactly ask my great great great grandmother.

DLaurent

Chatting to my uncle I don't see very often a while back, he told me he did one and it came back 87% English. Most have scoffed when I told them that, saying either there's no such thing as English, or what is this, the UKIP test?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I don't believe these sites or companies know what they're talking about. How can they compare DNA samples when they didn't even have that technology before the 1980s?

"Your great great great grandfather was a Sioux blacksmith in Chattanooga" - who's going to contradict them? I can't exactly ask my great great great grandmother.

It’s not that difficult to map an individual into a pre-existing database

Granular analysis? This is the con, one variety claims to match you to prehistoric archaeo-genetics but i don’t know what the comparison database is so it’s like a surname/locale % profile or next best estimate

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Chatting to my uncle I don't see very often a while back, he told me he did one and it came back 87% English. Most have scoffed when I told them that, saying either there's no such thing as English, or what is this, the UKIP test?
I think this probably means something like an 87% match against the present averaged population of England, rather than that 87% of your ancestors derived from some well-defined genetic population called "English."

Did you hear about this big study from a few years ago?

v2web-genetics-map.jpg

It turns out most of England does form a more or less identifiable genetic cluster, though there are different groups in the West and the North. But the South Welsh and North Welsh are pretty different from each other, and you can see there are several distinct clusters in Scotland, too.

There might be some exceptions, where you have a country that's very genetically homogeneous - maybe Japan? - but otherwise I expect most countries are like this.

Last edited:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Had a run on lunch breaks snatching 5 mins

Strange bios from the one English line - an ambassador to Afghanistan, an Earl of Cork considered one of the worst planters given free reign by both Elizabeth I and Cromwell who decimated Kinsale, and an Earl of Montrose who launched a siege on Aberdeen for Charles I

Getting dark now, if you disclose shit like this at the football you‘ll get tagged as a +Hun+

See what happens when you let the Saxons in? They scheme and you get tarred by history

william_kent

also I'd be wary of giving my DNA to strangers, who knows what databases it'd end up in

and...who'd have thought it...

Hacker leaks millions more 23andMe user records on cybercrime forum

The same hacker who leaked a trove of user data stolen from the genetic testing company 23andMe two weeks ago has now leaked millions of new user records.

On Tuesday, a hacker who goes by Golem published a new dataset of 23andMe user information containing records of four million users on the known cybercrime forum BreachForums. TechCrunch has found that some of the newly leaked stolen data matches known and public 23andMe user and genetic information.

Golem claimed the dataset contains information on people who come from Great Britain, including data from “the wealthiest people living in the U.S. and Western Europe on this list.”

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Oooph, their name branding was cursed from the start

The most interesting thing addable is I’m a direct descendant of Charlemagne and a lass named Gambara of the Lombards

Far out!

Oooph, their name branding was cursed from the start

The most interesting thing addable is I’m a direct descendant of Charlemagne and a lass named Gambara of the Lombards

Far out!
iu

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Are you aggrieved, lad?

Do you want to be Jennifer?

Let me explain. The irony of your loathing of gender transition might lead to further cognitive dissonance. Talk to a pro first and good luck on your own ancestry journey!