Playing instruments with other people

linebaugh

they have tons of those jams in america and its interesting because the call of the public eye is what thrusts them into being but I dont think anyone involved, the players or the audience, actually wants them on stage

linebaugh

I dont know though because Ive never been. They seem awful but I can also see how in two decades when Im Teas age they could be quite fun and could even envision myself involved

william_kent

when i was a teenager i used to "score" from the biggest dealer in [redacted]shire

a lot of older "heads" used to score there and they would be keen to inflict their "wisdom" on us younger folk

the only one I took half seriously was the guy who fucked the mother and then the daughters of the same family in turn who told us "the only thing you learn from tripping is how to trip"

but another guy asked us; 'have you ever played on stage?' and when we shook our heads he pronounced: 'it's better than any drugs or any sex that you will experience!"

and now I'm older I can tell you he was 100% wrong

linebaugh

when i was a teenager i used to "score" from the biggest dealer in [redacted]shire

a lot of older "heads" used to score there and they would be keen to inflict their "wisdom" on us younger folk

the only one I took half seriously was the guy who fucked the mother and then the daughters of the same family in turn who told us "the only thing you learn from tripping is how to trip"

but another guy asked us; 'have you ever played on stage?' and when we shook our heads he pronounced: 'it's better than any drugs or any sex that you will experience!"

and now I'm older I can tell you he was 100% wrong
do tell

sus

Have you done it? do you do it?
Love it. Historically was not good but am getting better, I can do a 20-30 min improvised riff-around on piano now over some pop chords, maybe toss in an odd 7th or diminished. Keeping it simple stupid but love getting in that flow, of just following feeling and watching it become form. It's a particular kind of doing that requires letting go. You can't grasp too tightly or try too hard; it's a chinese fingertrap. The tao of jamming.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what do you play? was this like an open blues jam?
We sometimes did ye goode olde 12-bar blues, but I liked it best when we went off in a more freeform direction with some jazzy/kraut-y/psychedelic sounds. This was greatly helped by the fact that one of the regulars was a hurdy-gurdy player.

sus

Been starting to do it with a pal on Fridays, I think we've come up with some good riffs and are pretty evenly matched. Evenly matched is important; being much better or more worse than the other guy is very painful. Bit like having conversation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember that. He was confused. He was like... why is it so big? What is all this plastic? You were like, it's a synthesizer Ian. He was like, oh, I've got a buncha those but they're all virtual plugins on my DAW, I didn't know they came in physical form.
The wisdom of the Ancients!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
we played live exactly once
So what happened? Did the singer's girlfriend have a Yoko Ono effect on the rest of the band? Irreconcilable artistic differences? Pressures of touring get too much for you? Drummer's heroin habit get out of hand?

woops

is not like other people
So what happened? Did the singer's girlfriend have a Yoko Ono effect on the rest of the band? Irreconcilable artistic differences? Pressures of touring get too much for you? Drummer's heroin habit get out of hand?

there's not much of a scene round East Lancashire. not many squat parties to play in or whatever. the drummer got more into hip hop, i went to university. the bassist is well into Jesus now if that satisfies your craving for rock cliché

william_kent

there's not much of a scene round East Lancashire. not many squat parties to play in or whatever. the drummer got more into hip hop, i went to university. the bassist is well into Jesus now if that satisfies your craving for rock cliché

got to love it when a bassist gets inducted into a cult

i live for this shit

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
best bassist story has to be the one from Les Rallizes Denudes

hijacked a plane, "take us to Cuba!", forced landing in North Korea

#bad life choices
And that bassist now plays in DPRK's single, official, state-approved, state-run, Juchelogically correct Rock Band, and can be seen performing live on TV, smiling maniacally with a gun pressed up against his back.