IdleRich

IdleRich
I got captured by a somewhat anxious mirror-relation one of my early acid excursions in college, and also came across tripping advice at that time along the lines of "don't look at the mirror." (Berghain, and some other imitator dance clubs, don't have any mirrors in their bathrooms, very intentionally)

Perfect timing. Yesterday I was in Desterro and I went in the backroom with the sound guy (yes, for that reason) and there was this freaky guy in there who was pointing at this broken mirror stuck on the wall and giggling, and the sound guy said "That is the only mirror in the whole of Desterro, we deliberately don't have any in the bathrooms*"

*he's American

version

e35d3c601fe7ec7327dcb5077353a3a2.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Rochat quotes the anthropologist Edmund Carpenter’s description of showing mirrors to the Biamis of Papua New Guinea for the first time, a phenomenon Carpenter calls “the tribal terror of self-recognition”: "After a first frightening reaction, they became paralyzed, covering their mouths and hiding their heads – they stood transfixed looking at their own images, only their stomach muscles betraying great tension."

Is it King Solomon's Mines where our intrepid adventurers convince the tribe of savages that they are as powerful as their witch Gagool by showing them their reflections in a mirror? I've seen variants of that story crop up a few times so it wouldn't surprise me to find out it had its roots in some real event.

version

What is so compelling about seeing yourself? You can say it's simply because it's you and you have a unique connection to yourself, but that doesn't do it justice, does it? It makes sense, but it's reductive and unsatisfying.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Borges and Baudrillard on the revenge of the mirror people feels like it could already apply to the internet, what with filters, "echo chambers" and the like. There are now millions of mirrors reflecting a distorted image that's punching through to our world.

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror is named for the screens on our phones that let us into the internet.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's a bit in Against the Day where Pynchon talks about a Venetian mirror used as part of an illusionist's act which literally splits a person into two. The only way to undo it is to convince both of them to climb back into the cabinet.

I meant to mention Pepper's Ghost as the classic mirror illusion.

woops

is not like other people
What is so compelling about seeing yourself? You can say it's simply because it's you and you have a unique connection to yourself, but that doesn't do it justice, does it? It makes sense, but it's reductive and unsatisfying.
i find it very satisfying. cos i look so good. and now there's 2 of me

IdleRich

IdleRich
Woody Allen mirroring the mirrors of Welles' finale.

Enter the Dragon has the mirror scene at the end which I believe was inspired by The Lady from Shanghai - same kinda thing at the end of The Man With the Golden Gun.

Jordan Peele's Us (or is it we, I've forgotten) is all about being terrorised by mirror images of ourselves - and doesn't that end in a fairground hall of mirrors too?

woops

is not like other people
it's the perfect subject for a songwriter. alone with your ultimate inspiration.