The good Chief Keef songs

maxi

too much of keefs own production gets into this territory discussed in the other thread for me:

Back from the dead 2 is the best because of the idea of it, but its not really any more listenable than any of the others. It feels too cute to go 'wow look how bad he is at music, isnt that cool????' and call that his best stuff when he has tons of stuff that is both interesting and also real songs.
I don't think its good because it's amateurish, I think it's just good. the drum patterns are more interesting and the song structures more original than a lot of other rap from the time, while still being compelling and not random-feeling. I like the minimalism with not too many elements crowding the songs. I love the combination of strings, pianos and choral synths (like in UK drill) and deep subbass as opposed to distorted trap bass. the melodies are great and there's a lot of sadness and tension in the music. they are very much real songs.

that said I do tend to like so-called amateurish or lo-fi music. I have a problem with some music that is said to be well produced, especially hip hop because it sounds too harsh and tinny and the hi-hats and snares pierce my eardrums. to me, that's not well produced. music that is described as lo-fi sounds better produced to me as it just sounds more pleasing to the ear (even if in some cases it may be due to limited expertise) and that's how I look at back from the dead 2. I'd say the same about 80s chicago house or 60s garage rock or triple six mafia. to some people it may sound weak/amateurish now but I think it's just better and that's how production should sound (generally),, especially when it comes to drums.

linebaugh

kinda sad watching how these rappers who blow up at 16 get fat and normal looking. not that sad, but you notice it. this is what keef looks like now

linebaugh

he doesnt even look that fat he just looks normal, maybe a little chubbier than he should, but it looks like he just lost his 16 year old metabolism.

maxi

I like the tempo of this one, bops and braps along in a leisurely fashion

Lil Reese classic example of a terrible but good rapper.

Looks a bit dazed behind the eyes, like he had a head injury (or PTSD) and that's what made him a psycho.

Actually really like this one, its growing on me like a fungus
was obsessed with that when it came out. the video with the windscreen reflection and synth sound just felt ultra modern for some reason. lil reese sounds good cos he sounds like his teeth are permanently gritted