Laptop Screens (really dumb question from an ignoramus)

IdleRich

IdleRich
The screen on my laptop is totally fucked. Everything else works fine but I can only see part of what I'm doing when I'm using it. I've seen people break their laptop keyboard and just plug a new one in and use that instead. Can I do the same thing with a screen? If I could just buy a screen and carry on using this laptop and accessing all the files that are on there and so on.... well, it would obviously be hugely preferable to buying a new laptop and moving all my files and so on and so forth. So can you get replacement (or simply plug-in) laptop screens, and if so do I have to get a specific one and where do I get it from and how much does it cost?

When you answer this please bear in mind that I am really really thick and useless when it comes to any kind of computer technology or anything like that. So I will reluctantly accept any piss-taking of my ignorance in the responses as long as it's not too cruel and you do actually answer the question for me.

Mr. Naga Pickle

yes replacing laptop screens is easy and fun. you can find just about any model in the world here:

every laptop is different, though the procedure for replacing the screen is pretty similar for all of them:

you can also buy a usb powered laptop monitor, should you prefer not to go to the trouble of replacing the screen:

linebaugh

The screen on my laptop is totally fucked. Everything else works fine but I can only see part of what I'm doing when I'm using it. I've seen people break their laptop keyboard and just plug a new one in and use that instead. Can I do the same thing with a screen? If I could just buy a screen and carry on using this laptop and accessing all the files that are on there and so on.... well, it would obviously be hugely preferable to buying a new laptop and moving all my files and so on and so forth. So can you get replacement (or simply plug-in) laptop screens, and if so do I have to get a specific one and where do I get it from and how much does it cost?

When you answer this please bear in mind that I am really really thick and useless when it comes to any kind of computer technology or anything like that. So I will reluctantly accept any piss-taking of my ignorance in the responses as long as it's not too cruel and you do actually answer the question for me.
does it it have an hdmi slot?

linebaugh

Ive been in similar situations, lap top screen is fucked but everything else works fine. I just plug it into my tv and its good

IdleRich

IdleRich
you can also buy a usb powered laptop monitor, should you prefer not to go to the trouble of replacing the screen

Yeah this is what I want, great!

does it it have an hdmi slot?

Ain't got it in front of me but I'm pretty sure it does. But I thought that if I did that it might just broadcast the fucked view from the screen on to the tv screen... or is that me being extra stupid?

Thanks for these tips guys, I'm just about to crash so I will read in detail tomorrow, but you're making me hopeful that I ain't gonna have to splash out on a new one. Cheers guys, really much appreciate.

linebaugh

Yeah this is what I want, great!

Ain't got it in front of me but I'm pretty sure it does. But I thought that if I did that it might just broadcast the fucked view from the screen on to the tv screen... or is that me being extra stupid?

Thanks for these tips guys, I'm just about to crash so I will read in detail tomorrow, but you're making me hopeful that I ain't gonna have to splash out on a new one. Cheers guys, really much appreciate.
yes that is you being extra stupid. the screen is a separate thing from what makes what goes on the screen

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah you're right, I thought I'd tried it before is all. But yeah this is literally a hardware problem, cat smashed the screen, I think now I think about it properly, before there was an issue with what was transmitting the pic to the screen which is why the problem was also transferred.

Leo

what's the best way to clean a laptop screen? weirdly, in addition to the usual smudges, I've started to notice very faint images of the keyboard on it.