Spring 25

DLaurent

I've done a few lists before that have never really worked out. That's not to say this one won't fail either, but it's worth a try? To try and save a wall of YouTube I'll try and write something about each track. I call it a spring 25, but that's only because the month of spring is on us, not because the tracks are particular spring like. Some of them I've even posted before, some of them I don't even know that much about, I just like playing music to people even if I doubt you'll learn anything from it.

I hope you don't mind my new playlist I'll start below.

DLaurent

2. First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder (Ron Hardy Dub)

"Hi let me tell you something". It seems First Choice did some of the best disco music with a proper Philly Sound and Ron Hardy's edit is intense, the way the vocals loop round. I don't mind playing anthems that everyone will recognise as a 'floor filler'.

DLaurent

3. King Sunny Ade - 365 is my Number

I don't know that much about Nigerian music or even African music in general. King Sunny Ade is one of the most well know. I think his musicians have played with famous people like Paul Simon. I heard of him from an Altman film called OC and Stiggs. That's an Apocalypse Now parody in part. Anyway this track blows me with it's steel type guitars and mellow vocal chants.

DLaurent

4. Cannon Fodder Game Intro

When it comes to game music we always tend to like that of games that we've played. For a lot of us that's Amiga type stuff that reminds us of being a kid and this was always a firm favourite for me. It's funny I never really got that much into reggae proper, but this has the vibe I like.

william_kent

1. Delia Derbshire - Pot Au Feu

Starting with this earmark of early electronic music that sounds so modern you could call it proto something. Danny Brown sampled it but I'm not really into rap music I like it because it's got dark tech step esque synths that sound way ahead of its time.

apologies: don't want to hi-jack thread but...

I've not learnt my lesson about posting when in altered states, but one of my regrets is that one of my former work colleagues knew someone who was working as an archivist at a local institution which had come into possession of a few cardboard boxes full of Delia Derbyshire reel to reel tapes and there was an invitation to smoke skunk and listen to them 'on the roof", but for whatever reason it never happened... I was so disappointed although I understand that maybe the head of the institution was a bit of a...and she probably forbid them being played... anyway @catalog might know her, I think she was his boss, at least a few months ago, whenever the last great northern dissensus meetup was

DLaurent

5. The Connection Machine - Echoes From Tau City

Think of 'epic sax' and some of us might think of George Micheal, Gerry Rafferty, 808 State, Pink Floyd or Guru Josh. This track ever is just so uplifting. I don't want to post too much Techno, if any at all, but this is too hypnotic not to post. If it was better known than what I think it is, you could call it The Horn Track of Techno?

DLaurent

I've not learnt my lesson about posting when in altered states, but one of my regrets is that one of my former work colleagues knew someone who was working as an archivist at a local institution which had come into possession of a few cardboard boxes full of Delia Derbyshire reel to reel tapes and there was an invitation to smoke skunk and listen to them 'on the roof", but for whatever reason it never happened... I was so disappointed although I understand that maybe the head of the institution was a bit of a...and she probably forbid them being played... anyway @catalog might know her, I think she was his boss, at least a few months ago, whenever the last great northern dissensus meetup was

Don't worry mate, I hope this thread doesn't just end up with only me posting and it generates some other discussion

sufi

lala

I don't know that much about Nigerian music or even African music in general. King Sunny Ade is one of the most well know. I think his musicians have played with famous people like Paul Simon. I heard of him from an Altman film called OC and Stiggs. That's an Apocalypse Now parody in part. Anyway this track blows me with it's steel type guitars and mellow vocal chants.

such a beautiful tune so spare and minimal

catalog

I'll have to ask you about this one again. I'll add it to the list

catalog

Don't worry mate, I hope this thread doesn't just end up with only me posting and it generates some other discussion
All I know is that I've got room three part two nearly ready I'm just doing some final tweaks so I always welcome a new sele tuon from you.

I've listened to nowt on the list so far, but I will do

DLaurent

6 - Alan Hawkshaw - Chicken Man

I'm not sure whether it's because it's a famous childhood TV Theme or whether it's because it's one of the best bits of brit library funk. Up there with other stuff on a similar vibe like Was Dog a Donut and always gets me bouncing.

william_kent

Oh, i'm going to chip in

going to go full on @L**, and rave about how I saw King Sunny Ade live at some festival, before it was trendy and then mainstream and now it's a regular feature of the BBC red button... even though even back then when tickets for the weekend were £12.50 there were dentists in volvos "glamping" ( even though that insidious word didn't even exist then )

I was out of place, wandering around in a Motorhead tee-shirt when I was accosted by a Hare Krishna "chick" ( I'm being ironic here, don't call the sexism police ) and she tried to lure me into the Krishna compound with promises of "Poly Styrene" is playing, and I had to excuse myself by saying "I've lost my friends" and she replied "bummer, man"

but anyway, King Sunny Ade live was something to behold, at least twelve talking drummers mashing out a ju-ju beat, the King throwing out psychedelic licks on his guitar, African Queens answering the call and response

he was the headliner on the Sunday night

what do you get at that rip off festival nowadays? probably going to be Elton John this year

DLaurent

7, Martin Hannett - First Aspect of the Same Thing

Another track I know little about. I'm not sure if it's something to do with Durutti Column or not, I always had it down as their first record under a different name but I think it's just a Martin Hannett production. Anyway, it sounds to me a bit like dubstep wobble bass before it's time,

DLaurent

8. R Steve Moore - There is no God in America

I'm not sure how I first heard this. I've had a listen to some of his other 'DIY' music, but this one stands out because of its 'jump up' style synths. Sounds like something DJ Zinc could have produced 20 years later. I like having little oddities like this on my playlist even if I don't know or like much else from the artist.

DLaurent

9. Godlfesh - Whose Truth is Your Truth

I'm not a 'metal head' but I am from Birmingham and like some Industrial style beats. Godflesh used Amens and beats so heavy I've only heard from Dave Clarke or something. This is one of the heaviest tracks on the album and my favourtie Godflesh track.

DLaurent

10. Esy Morales - Jungle Fantasy

Flutes generally do my head in. This is from the film noir Criss Cross though. I posted it before in the best melody thread. He was known as the worlds most unique flutist.

william_kent

6 - Alan Hawkshaw - Chicken Man

I'm not sure whether it's because it's a famous childhood TV Theme or whether it's because it's one of the best bits of brit library funk. Up there with other stuff on a similar vibe like Was Dog a Donut and always gets me bouncing.

ah, it was going so well..

but isn't this the Grange Hill Theme tune?

grange hill theme tune

edit; overfamiliarity with the theme may have dampened my appreciation for this tune, not going to knock anyone hearing this with fresh ears

DLaurent

11. Daphne Oram - Bird of Parallax

I also posted this before in the best melody thread, but it fits my playlist. I remember getting into this early electronic music, listening to this album, and it's all a bit avant-garde until halfway through, towards the end of this excerpt from the track, some weird oriental melody comes out of nowhere!