Spring 25

DLaurent

12. Quincy Jones - Kitty with the Bent Frame
Most people know the Jessica Mobb Deep sample, and the other half already know this too. That it's been sampled a few times is testament to its gloomy crime funkiness, sounds like a lot of the film noir soundtracks I fall asleep to but groovier.

Mr. Naga Pickle

5. The Connection Machine - Echoes From Tau City

Think of 'epic sax' and some of us might think of George Micheal, Gerry Rafferty, 808 State, Pink Floyd or Guru Josh. This track ever is just so uplifting. I don't want to post too much Techno, if any at all, but this is too hypnotic not to post. If it was better known than what I think it is, you could call it The Horn Track of Techno?

william_kent

Ha. I'm bound to show myself up at some point. I had it down as Alan Hawkshaw. It's why I'm economical with my writing!

it probably is Hawkshaw, I'm guessing the BBC just lifted this off a KPM lp or something, after all, that's the purpose of library music?

still kicking myself for when [ insert infamous Manchester publisher ] had a record shop just off Shudehill and there were racks and racks of "library music" on sale at 50p a pop and I was too young and ignorant ( and unemployed, so essentially skint ) to realise that there was a pension fund just sat in front of me...

years later I did some "computer work", cash in hand, moonlighting, for him ( infamous publisher ) and he picked me up in an estate car with black plastic bin bags that masqueraded as the rear window, and when I sort of raised an eyebrow he said "I didn't see the lorry" and then there was a painful ride to his lockup as every red light involved a "I'd do her" style innuendo whenever he spotted a female cyclist

DLaurent

13. Windows - Creation Rebel

I don't know what draws me to these kind of post punk dub records. I'm not too much into pure dub or punk music, but the combination of the two and resulting experimentation leads me to find tracks like these that contain sounds that warp my mind. It's the reversed piano in this that is straight out of a Breakage record.

sufi

lala
ah, it was going so well..

but isn't this the Grange Hill Theme tune?

grange hill theme tune

edit; overfamiliarity with the theme may have dampened my appreciation for this tune, not going to knock anyone hearing this with fresh ears
highly evocative
503fb11fe5c728e78d09266841012841.jpg

DLaurent

15. Paperclip People - Oscillator

I said no Techno. Already done another Techno list elsewhere. But what's a list without some Carl Criag. Has enough talent in his little finger to warrant a place. Ahead of its time synth wise even for 1991.

sufi

lala

I don't know what draws me to these kind of post punk dub records. I'm not too much into pure dub or punk music, but the combination of the two and resulting experimentation leads me to find tracks like these that contain sounds that warp my mind. It's the reversed piano in this that is straight out of a Breakage record.

rebel in the morning rebel in the evening

william_kent

I held back last time you posted this...

but surely it's a homage to:

Creation Rebel - Starship Africa part 1 (1982 )

DLaurent

16. Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - You Can't Blame Me

I listen to a fair bit of old soul music but listen to a lot of rubbish in the process. It seems to me a lot of songs are vocally a bit grating, and tend to start with lyrics that are the title of the track. Can't fault this one though, with call and response vocals, and also I've learned from the comments, a Mobb Deep sample.

DLaurent

17. MFSB - Picnic in the Park

I've posted this one before too. I go fishing a lot at a local park, came home, and it popped up on my playlist.

DLaurent

20. Eric Random - Second Sight

I'm a bit worried as I go on, with a lack of proper reggae knowledge, that I'm posting up second rate versions. I do like this though, it reminds me in vibe of the above.

william_kent

18. The Congos - Row Fisherman

Talking of fishing, and my lack of dub knowledge, I can't help but like this. I know it's Lee Perry.

yeah, Congos, most overrated act in reggae

but this tune I can accept

I like this Carl Craig twelve that i own:

carl craig - congoman edit

I once played on a free party sound system in a car park in the afternoon "back 2 back" with a local record shop employee and he put this on

DLaurent

21. Chez Damier - I Never Knew Love (Made in Detroit Mix)

Thsi is a brutally good house record, probably my favourite. The lyrics are great, 'Never Knew Love'... that's how it feels to be NASA or similar experiment, and the intro synth it starts with is brilliant, probably a sample. It's got that recognisable melody like 7th Wonder - Daisy Lady... it will be from something like that I bet but I don't know