sublime detournement of samples from pop songs

blissblogger

the distraught "my mind" and the highly strung "feeling so special" are the detournements here

I can't find it but there is another tune (one of many) that ransacks the Alex o' Neal / Cherelle song but instead of just "my mind", they use the whole "still on my mind" lick. It's so sped up and smushed that I've always heard it as "stealing my mind" - sampling-as-mondegreen poetry.

"Still on my mind" is also pretty good as a love song to drug song / in love to luvd up switch.

maxi

sampling madonna's 'dress you up'. original lyrics are "gonna dress you up in my love / all over, all over"

this one takes another sample from somewhere ("I feel it") and combines with "all over all over", turning it into a drug rush tune

then for most of the song just "all over" is repeated, making it a comedown/end of the night lament as well

blissblogger

sez Wiki

"A détournement meaning "rerouting, hijacking" in French, is a technique developed in the 1950s by the Letterist International,nd later adapted by the Situationist International that was defined in the SI's inaugural 1958 journal as "integration of present or past artistic productions into a superior construction of a milieu.... In general it can be defined as a variation on previous work, in which the newly created work has a meaning that is antagonistic or antithetical to the original. The original media work that is détourned must be somewhat familiar to the target audience, so that it can appreciate the opposition of the new message.."

so it is the right word

according to Wiki, the opposite of detournement is recuperation - which had never occurred to me before, but I suppose is true

blissblogger

Now this isn't really detournement, but it does shift the meaning from something straightforwardly romantic to something romantic but with a tinge of cosmic mysticism

The end bit of "The Light" - from about 3.33 onwards - where Dilla stitches together different vocal bits and grace notes from "Open Your Eyes" that aren't in proximity to each other in the original song, is incredibly skillful and musical - it's as though Bobby Caldwell (RIP) is right there in the studio with them extemporizing.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Not going to dig out the Youtube link, but I do love the way the Orb smear Minnie Ripperton's Loving You out over 20 minutes of Tangerine Dream arpeggios and birdsong on A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain...

catalog

One from my night out, specifically the drive in to Manchester.

I had Carl Crack's 'Black Ark' on (thanks to @thirdform and @padraig (u.s.) for highlighting it, been caning it last few days).

Whole album is great and warrants a whole other post or even thread (would appreciate any tips as to good blogs or articles about it).

But this particular bit jumps out in context of this thread.

'What's going on?' asks Marvin and Carl replies 'Drill 'n' bass' pal.

blissblogger

Not going to dig out the Youtube link, but I do love the way the Orb smear Minnie Ripperton's Loving You out over 20 minutes of Tangerine Dream arpeggios and birdsong on A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain...

That one is a bit like the Common / Bobby Caldwell one in that it's more like sample-as-affinity move - the original Minnie song already sounds blissed out and idyllic and the Orb just activate its cosmic / kooky aspects - her singing sounds like she's drifting off into the ether

william_kent

this isn't sublime, and it's not a sample from a pop song, but it's a detour of some sort, although not exactly detournment

children's educational record repurposed into thug drug dealing anthem

original:

Jimmy Van M. & Richard Hieronymous – I Weigh With Kilos

"a kilo is a thousand grams, easy to remember"

"all around the world today the kilo is a measure"

catchy lyrics for kids to memorise weights and measures

descends into darkness

Ghostface Killah - Kilo

those of us that were brought up with Imperial have all had to make the switch, I can remember the days when a "teenth" was weighed on balance scales with a half pence piece ( greedily stockpiled by weed dealers once they were out of circulation ), but then I moved to a part of the UK that had gone metric and then had to do mental arithmetic in order to score - 7 grams was a quarter, etc.,

nowadays it's easy, digital scales, tare them in ( a starbucks takeaway "grande" coffee cup can accommodate about 14 grams of skunk )

blissblogger

this isn't sublime, and it's not a sample from a pop song, but it's a detour of some sort, although not exactly detournment

children's educational record repurposed into thug drug dealing anthem

original:

Jimmy Van M. & Richard Hieronymous – I Weigh With Kilos

"a kilo is a thousand grams, easy to remember"

"all around the world today the kilo is a measure"

catchy lyrics for kids to memorise weights and measures

descends into darkness

Ghostface Killah - Kilo

that's a great one

the topic reminded me of this weed anthem that takes a soul song that already contains a love-as-drug metaphor and just strips away the metaphor element