DannyL

Wild Horses
A small sally into the unlistenable (actually not at all, these tunes bang) would be my interest in On-U Sound which tends to piss off reggae purists. But I found the combination of reggae vocalists, absolutely fucked productions and heavyweight bass very compelling. It's the model for what people like The Bug are doing now, just 30 years before its time.

45. Peter Broggs/Prince Far I - Higher Field Marshall
This is a pre-On U production from Sherwood. The unusual instrumentation - violins?! - shows crossovers with postpunk and is a prrecursor of the sounds of African Headcharge, Singers & Players etc. You really need to listen to this on a big system for when Far I comes in sounding like the Old Testament Jehovah.

46. New Age Steppers - Fade Away
Ari Up on vox, covering the Junior Byles classic. First record on On U, iirc. Recently reissued like everything else, so maybe familiar. Look at that cover!

47. Keith Le Blanc - Major Malfunction
Really extraordinary unplaceable record. Not hip hop, not house, sui generis. Le Blanc started out on Sugarhill, like Skip McDonald & Doug Wimbush. Still blows my mind they played on Rapper's Delight!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Talking of Sugarhill, here's a couple of left field early rap things that I experienced on what was I guess their first round of rediscovery.

48. Catch the Beat - T Ski Valley
Over what I think is Tania Gardener's Heartbeat (though a bit sped up perhaps?), one of the old school disco MCs.

49. Jimmy Spicer - Dollar Bill
You don't need the rap with this. Another undeniable groove.

william_kent

Absolute fire. Sold my copy when times were tight and have since been trying to buy it back.

it got a re-release last year

edit: oh, and great list by the way ( I suppose I should mention the DJ Cheese meets Tackhead / on-u sound "king of the beat" tune here )

Client Eastwood

So what do people think? Keep with the classic London pirate selection or follow my own timeline, where it may get weird and unlistenable? Maybe I should do a poll?
Great list Danny. I guessing we grew up in the same timeline by your choices. Late 70's to late 90's a constant state of flux. Maybe a weird 10 thrown in for measure.

Client Eastwood

So what do people think? Keep with the classic London pirate selection or follow my own timeline, where it may get weird and unlistenable? Maybe I should do a poll?
On second thoughts, perhaps follow your own timeline with a dash of classics for reference (influence) on you weird stuff. I dunno, your call tbh.

DannyL

Wild Horses
On second thoughts, perhaps follow your own timeline with a dash of classics for reference (influence) on you weird stuff. I dunno, your call tbh.
A weird 10, or 5, is a good shout. Probably towards the end, I'll put in some private press stuff. Have a few more little tangents to explore first though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
50 has to be a big one, right? I nearly went with Can U Feel It, but decided on this instead.

50. Aswad - Warrior Charge
I'm really picking this 'cos the film was so important to me and my friends - this is the dubplate in the film that virtually has a role of its own. Absolutely iconic masterpiece, clip below.

If you've somehow not seen this, you need to correct this oversight in your education as soon as possible.

51. Kunte Kinte - Mad Professor
Very similar vibes. Prefer this I think in a way? I used to have an Ariwa white label 10" of this, bit of a prized possession for a long time.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Couple more in the roots selection. Used to have both of these but they've evaporated over the years

52. Slyford Walker - Jah Golden Pen

53. Big Youth - I Pray Thee
Damn. Talk about dread. Amazed that someone basically reading a curse on all of civilization from the Old Testament was once even vaguely considered "popular music".

DannyL

Wild Horses
Been very light on the house music so far, so a couple from that camp. Again, trying not just to put up classics that people know, though i'm sure the knowledge runs deep on here.

54. Bou Khan - Magic. I tended to like the moody soulful stuff.

55. Blake Baxter - Where We Used To Play

56. New York House'n Authority - Apt 3a
I did once aspire to collect all the 12"s on Nu Groove but didn't get very far.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Go with your own timeline I reckon that's the point of these threads.