You can stick your coronation up your arse

IdleRich

IdleRich
Every now and again we find ourselves in complete agreement. Not much bunting here in Novi Sad I'm pleased to report. My sole involvement in the whole thing has been a reply to the questionnaire about whether I'd swear allegiance to king Carlos... I replied I'd much rather drink a pint of diarrhoea, a sentiment which I assume captures the mood of the nation.

Leo

what's the level of public support/interest compared to the queen's funeral?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Much bunting round your way? The Plant Whisperer has a lot of work to do winning over more than a single figure percentage of the British public, is my guess.
Surprised you aren't fully supporting it just to own the libz, tbh.

martin

----
Don’t think anyone gives a shit. He’s well-known as a perverted cabbage who talks to rosebushes and wants to be reincarnated as a box of Tampax, so even royalists are a bit sniffy about him.

Dunno whether the diehard Di fans have ever forgiven him either, but people are fickle...

sufi

lala
I'm undecided whether to ignore entirely or mount some sort of oppositional activity
i seem to have booked a work call with non-uk people on monday already :(

has anyone come up with an alternative oath we can swear, promising to destroy all tyrants?

oathing is a serious thing
The original aim of Mau Mau, as expressed in the words of the oath, was secretly to unite, discipline and foster political consciousness among the Kikuyu, with the ultimate object of satisfying the political aspirations of its leaders, if necessary by force. The terms of the original oath were as follows:

(a) If I ever reveal the secrets of this organisation, may this oath kill me.
(b) If I ever sell or dispose of any Kikuyu land to a foreigner, may this oath kill me.
(c) If I ever fail to follow our great leader Kenyatta, may this oath kill me.
(d) If I ever inform against any member of this organisation or against any member who steals from a European, may this oath kill me.
(e) If I ever fail to pay the fees of this organisation, may this oath kill me.
(a) If I am sent to bring in the head of any one and I fail to do so, may this oath kill me.
(b) If I fail to steal anything from the European, may this oath kill me.
(c) If I know of any enemy to our organisation and I fail to report him to my leader, may this oath kill me.
(d) If I ever receive any money from a European as a bribe for information, may this oath kill me.
(e) If I am ever sent by a leader to do something big for the house of Kikuyu, and I refuse, may this oath kill me.
(f) If I refuse to help in driving the Europeans from this county, may this oath kill me.
(g) If I worship any leader but Jomo, may this oath kill me.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Being completely bewildered by the fact that the UK somehow still has a useless, parasitical monarchy is one of the few issues that unites the entire dissensus political spectrum

Every time I hear about austerity and things like people starving/freezing to death in their homes bc they can't afford to both buy food and turn on the heat, I'll think about these assholes and their impossibly wealthy duchies based on claims from the reign of Edward III

DannyL

Wild Horses
what's the level of public support/interest compared to the queen's funeral?
Not much. I think people find the weird pagentry appealing (as do I in a way) but no one really gives a fuck, largely 'cos it's unclear what they actually fucking do.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Being completely bewildered by the fact that the UK somehow still has a useless, parasitical monarchy is one of the few issues that unites the entire dissensus political spectrum

Every time I hear about austerity and things like people starving/freezing to death in their homes bc they can't afford to both buy food and turn on the heat, I'll think about these assholes and their impossibly wealthy duchies based on claims from the reign of Edward III

The interesting thing is about how their wealth, power and control of land (and rental income) largely stays out of public consciousness until moments like this when they can't resist waving bejewelled fucking sceptres right in your face.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh is that what's going on? I keep seeing pictures of that guy but I didn't know why... I can see why they are drawing the comparison though cos, other than being different sex, different colour, different age, different height and build and basically being totally different people, the likeness is uncanny.

Reactions: Leo