100 PERCENT REAL HIP HOP

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
Good freestyle. Definitely going for a vibe like Big L's "Ebonics."

To me good rap is about street metaphysics and embedded consciousness. See Nas and Wu Tang. Rather than just cultural capital of varying degrees of refinement. See Jay Z and 50 Cent, whom I love. Er, I should say I simply like 50. He reminds me of Patrick Bateman. :sick:

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
Eh, someone will have to link me to some good Brooklyn drill because that thread is too big for me to sort through. I've never listened to Pop Smoke, but I'm intrigued that he came from Brooklyn.

I will say that, when it comes to New York artists making trap or drill records, that's music that resembles southern or midwestern styles of rap. I'm from Brooklyn. Joey Badass went to my high school. I like stuff like him and the Underachievers. Stuff that tries to capture the spirit of classic hip hop. Not nostalgia bullshit that tries to copy the classics, but stuff that tries to do what the classics did while sounding new. I'm into east coast artists making east coast style rap, not copying other regions' styles.

Not dissing BK drill, but I found this clip funny. Danny Brown is another rapper I like. I rock with "Scaring the Hoes Vol. 1"

He said Batman Beyond ahahahahah

woops

is not like other people
Eh, someone will have to link me to some good Brooklyn drill because that thread is too big for me to sort through. I've never listened to Pop Smoke, but I'm intrigued that he came from Brooklyn.

I will say that, when it comes to New York artists making trap or drill records, that's music that resembles southern or midwestern styles of rap. I'm from Brooklyn. Joey Badass went to my high school. I like stuff like him and the Underachievers. Stuff that tries to capture the spirit of classic hip hop. Not nostalgia bullshit that tries to copy the classics, but stuff that tries to do what the classics did while sounding new. I'm into east coast artists making east coast style rap, not copying other regions' styles.

Not dissing BK drill, but I found this clip funny. Danny Brown is another rapper I like. I rock with "Scaring the Hoes Vol. 1"

i might be mad but i feel like male lesbian has just entered the dissensus zone. we don't care if you researched in depth Kantian metaphysics but if Joey badass went to your school then yh.

shakahislop

I spent some time hitchhiking in europe a decade ago and that danny brown mixtape with 30 and the one about steeling copper pipes was the soundtrack to all of that. sleeping in tents by the side of the road and thumbing at pieges. drinking on benches in little french towns. church bells in the morning, rides with priests and wasted moroccans. where in Brooklyn?

shakahislop

Can't forget about the Danny Brown song about eating pussy!

I grew up on Prospect Park SW.
that was the period where I was getting into that kind of indie mainstream hiphop, I remember there was a bit of a revolution in those guys being not only willing to talk about eating pussy but bragging about how good they are at it. the recaliberation of masculinity in general, of which that was an example, was one aspect of it that I liked. it went along with the openness of that period musically, the sudden plasticity of the beats as well, people jumping on all kinds of sounds

shakahislop

what do you think about rap shaping the popular sense of masculinity in the US. It seems like a key cultural thread to me. rap isn't exactly marginal as a mainstream influence

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
I think rap has gotten progressively more feminine. It has always had a feminine fixation on fashion. First you had the skinny jeans generation of rappers that spanned from Lil B to Kendrick. I include myself in that generation. There was a black hipster aesthetic at work in Danny Brown's love of Joy Division for example.

After that there was the Rich Homie Quan era where everyone was half an R&B singer, singing and rapping about women. That was super feminine.

When I saw Lil' Wayne playing guitar and talking about his love for Nirvana, I predicted that rap would incorporate more elements of indie rock. This came true with the aformentioned skinny jeans era, but it peaked with To Pimp a Butterfly. To me, that album simply is a post-punk classic in the vein of Wire's Pink Flag or Pere Ubu's Dub Housing. This injection of indie rock into rap brings along alot of femininity.

Today I think it's telling that Run the Jewel got so big, like stadium big, way bigger than either member was alone. El-P spent years as an indie. He even remixed TV on the Radio! But no one cared. Killer Mike was one of the realest rappers for years yet his beats sucked so no one cared. The fact that the two got so popular together shows that people want a mix of an indie sound with a traditionally technical and true-to-life lyricist. They want real hip hop lyricism with beats that mix rock, electronic music and classic soul beats. Check out Ghostface's album with BadBadNotGood if you want music like this.

I'm on a quest to further rap's feminization. Queer hip hop must evolve into an autonomous and legitimate genre. We need a sub-genre of hip hop to elevate queer and feminine voices that hip hop too often fails to platform or listen to.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i find it comforting that malelesbian is still a student at heart and rates an indie rapper with a ketamine addiction who dated girls 12 years his junior. (danny brown...)

the street vs hipster division on Dissensus will never die!