Primal Scream

IdleRich

IdleRich
Today I read this tragic essay by the son of Martin Duffy who was the keyboard player of Primal Scream until he died in December last year.

The gist of the story is that although he was a founder member with song-writing credits on some of the early albums, at some point Gillespie and Innes pushed him out of the band proper and relegated him to being a session musician and employee with the result that while they were pocketing millions and swanning around with Kate Moss banging on about workers rights, he was scraping by on being paid an amount for each gig. When the lockdown meant they couldn't tour, he couldn't meet his mortgage and fell into an alcoholic depression, the rest of the band did absolutely fuck all to help him, even selling the rights to albums he'd part written and giving him nothing - the manager advised him not to sue - disappearing with their millions from the same band that left him broke after thirty years service. They were not to be seen until he died when predictably they gave moving testaments to their beloved soul brother and revered musician.

There was a load more but in short it was a horrible story of greed, bullying, hypocrisy etc etc that confirmed Gillespie is just as much of a wanker as you always thought.

william_kent

there was an Oasis documentary on BBC2 where Noel had this to say:

When Oasis signed to Creation in '94 they took us to the warehouse where all the...
[ long pause punctuated by Noel's laboured breathing while he searches for the words ]
their stock is.

And they, err, said "You can go in and choose anything you want".
And we all started laughing, we were just like..."we've already got Screamadelica".
The rest of it's shit, you know...
who wants a BMX Bandits 12 inch?
The first thing Bobby Gillespie said to me, which I'll never forget, which I thought "what a fucking odd thing to say" was,
um...
"This is Noel from Oasis"
"Oh, right, right, right"
And the first thing he said was...
"What's your favourite Bob Marley B-side?"
And I thought, "Really?"
Fuck Off.
You know what I mean?
Fuck. Off.
And, err, someone handed me a guitar, like, and he said, [ Noel chuckles], "Play me your favourite song"
and I played him "This Guy's In Love with You" by Burt Bacharach.
He didn't fucking say much after that.
And we were firm friends ever since.

Dusty

Tone deaf
Yeah, never liked that weasily little scrote. Just looked like he'd steal your nans purse the moment you turned your back on him. Seems gut instinct was right.

catalog

agCV6q7.jpeg