The Prose Stylist

version

Who's up there? What makes someone a stylist rather than simply having good or great prose? And don't say "a style,".

version

It can feel like an admission good prose is all they have. That they can't do the other things. When I think of someone being referred to as a stylist, I think of someone like DeLillo where many will say his plots go nowhere and his characters all sound the same, but his sentences are impeccable.

I don't think I've seen Beckett referred to as a stylist even though he has a voice and an ear and an eye and sometimes a gimmick.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I bought this book after reading the Oxen episode of Ulysses. Joyce used another guide to prose history which I couldn't find.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've only read bits of it but as far as I remember he nominated Jonathan Swift as having the best English prose style evs

version

Amis was considered a stylist, wasn't he? I've heard Didion and Easton Ellis, who idolised her, referred to as stylists too.

version

Is there a difference between being a stylist and having a voice? Burroughs has a voice, but referring to him as a stylist doesn't feel right.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno it's probably something you could define in different ways

I suppose with the acclaimed 'stylists' you can usually tell it's them within a few sentences.

They don't write conventional sentences, or if they do they don't structure them conventionally.

Perhaps 'stylist' suggests a self-consciousness about style that you'd find in the modernist/postmodernist writers.

Like Dickens I don't think is seen as a 'stylist' but he writes in this unmistakable way – but maybe that's less about the rhythm of the prose than the metaphors he uses, the way he sees the world.

version

It's a difficult one to pin down, isn't it? Ellroy's another who comes to mind once you get to his rat-a-tat stuff like White Jazz.

version

Perhaps 'stylist' suggests a self-consciousness about style that you'd find in the modernist/postmodernist writers.

Yeah, maybe you can reduce it to something along the lines of a writer who cares about their language and sentences above all. That would make DeLillo a perfect example as by the time he was writing The Names he said he'd write by the sentence and focus on things like the shape of the letters.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It can feel like an admission good prose is all they have. That they can't do the other things. When I think of someone being referred to as a stylist, I think of someone like DeLillo where many will say his plots go nowhere and his characters all sound the same, but his sentences are impeccable.

I don't think I've seen Beckett referred to as a stylist even though he has a voice and an ear and an eye and sometimes a gimmick.
Oh interesting, I haven't read any DeLillo, but this does remind me of a bit of Pynchon and DFW (perhaps more so the latter, but I've only read Broom of the System). Absolutely beautiful sentences, excellent on a purely aesthetic level, but when you dig does into substance, it doesn't always seem to compare with the style. I mean, you could argue thats as much a reflection of postmodernism itself, and that Pynchon and DFW are just zeitgeist mouthpieces.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I did think that Oedipa Maas's treatment more closely approximated a character arc/development, perhaps more so than anyone in GR, but I could be forgetting someone. I think character development is a way to tap into some of the more substantial potnetial of literature, and most of the characters in GR were more like chess pieces and monad-like windows into some maximalist phantasmagoria.

version

Pynchon's clearly very conscious of style, but I wouldn't call him a stylist as I think the historical and political elements of his writing are also what really make him him.

Henry Miller strikes me as a stylist.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Pynchon's clearly very conscious of style, but I wouldn't call him a stylist as I think the historical and political elements of his writing are also what really make him him.

Henry Miller strikes me as a stylist.
Yeah and the paranoid/conspiratorial "style" is really more than just a prosaic sensibility in his case, at least in what I've read. It permeates the psychology of characters and kinda colors the whole world they inhabit.

jenks

thread death
I think a prose stylist is someone whose prose style you really like but which drives others mad. It can be the ornate spiralling sentences of Proust, the muscular pithiness of Hemingway, the strange elusiveness of Lispector - it’s the very grain of their voice I think. It’s the self conscious choice to write ‘like this’ rather than ‘like that’

I ask because its a very corpsey story - a funny exploration of self doubt, wanting love, worries about authenticity, to be seen as clever. Its obviously an indirect suicide note from him, but it does have a pay off and lesson and imo its the best thing hes done and maybe the easiest thing to read. Did you like it @jenks ?

jenks

thread death
I ask because its a very corpsey story - a funny exploration of self doubt, wanting love, worries about authenticity, to be seen as clever. Its obviously an indirect suicide note from him, but it does have a pay off and lesson and imo its the best thing hes done and maybe the easiest thing to read. Did you like it @jenks ?
Not read dfw for a while - i used to be huge fan - i will settle down and have a re-read of this tonight