Leaning In: The Only Way Out is Through (?)

version

Read that Harmony Korine profile in GQ last night and found myself grimacing when he talked about reduced attention spans and the usual fare then suggested leaning into it, ditching the traditional film and simply catering to this new sensibility.

I appreciate someone trying to work with what's around them, but actively cultivating what seems to be a pretty damaging development strikes me as a misstep.

He doesn't refer to what he's doing as the 'way out' of the title. He says he's been waiting for this situation his whole life. I'm just wondering whether this process of acceleration and miniaturization is a one-way thing, or whether we'll hit a point where things start to go the other way - either because people get bored or because of some logic within the process itself.

first-look-at-new-harmony-korine-film-aggro-dr1ft-v0-hqhzv3zp7jfb1.jpg

On Korine specifically, I'm curious about this Aggro Dr1ft film of his, but I don't have high hopes for the overall EDGLRD project. The pitches being made in the profile aren't particularly convincing. A lot of waffle with some corporate 'creative' sort of terms thrown in and attempts at coining the odd buzzword - "Blinx," "Gamecore."

I appreciate someone trying to work with what's around them,

Whatever my misgivings, I do think this is important. There's a strong argument that there's no way back or around and what needs to be done is serious work on and within the situation to understand it as best we can rather than increasingly futile attempts at batting the thing away and holding it back.

The question is, says Korine, “How do you take the whole idea of entertainment, of live-action gaming, and create something new? The obsession here is that there’s something else after where we’ve been—that one thing is dying, and something new is being born right now.”

We can expand the thread to the principle of the only way out being through in general too. It's definitely applicable in some cases, e.g. exposure therapy for people with anxiety.

sus

"I didn't sell out; I bought in" (SLC Punk!)

Compare the proliferation of accelerationist movements, e/acc being the hottest.

mvuent

Void Dweller
this thread really deserved more replies. one thing i've been noticing a lot lately is how even though the internet's shattered our attention spans and inundated us with content, it hasn't eliminated the urge to pay obsessive attention to certain things. the autechre fandom is obviously a close to home example, but you even find it with much more mainstream content. you can get hundreds of thousands of followers just by close-reading a popular series. even with those internet video series shaka made a thread about, you can find tons of kids obsessing and speculating about details in the comments. miniaturization doesn't have to entail a loss of intensity/ambition.

version

this thread really deserved more replies. one thing i've been noticing a lot lately is how even though the internet's shattered our attention spans and inundated us with content, it hasn't eliminated the urge to pay obsessive attention to certain things. the autechre fandom is obviously a close to home example, but you even find it with much more mainstream content. you can get hundreds of thousands of followers just by close-reading a popular series. even with those internet video series shaka make a thread about, you can find tons of kids obsessing and speculating about details in the comments. miniaturization doesn't have to entail a loss of intensity/ambition.

I like the idea of zooming in far enough that it becomes another world/landscape. Worlds within worlds. The grooves on a record become valleys.

version

this thread really deserved more replies. one thing i've been noticing a lot lately is how even though the internet's shattered our attention spans and inundated us with content, it hasn't eliminated the urge to pay obsessive attention to certain things. the autechre fandom is obviously a close to home example, but you even find it with much more mainstream content. you can get hundreds of thousands of followers just by close-reading a popular series. even with those internet video series shaka make a thread about, you can find tons of kids obsessing and speculating about details in the comments. miniaturization doesn't have to entail a loss of intensity/ambition.

Scanning the internet for rabbit holes like scanning the universe for habitable planets.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Scanning the internet for rabbit holes like scanning the universe for habitable planets.
I agree in that the bulk of content isn't really rabbit hole material, but I also feel like there are a lot of platforms which facilitate rabbit hole discovery, almost like a space terminal with a variety of wormholes to habitable planets.

version

this thread really deserved more replies. one thing i've been noticing a lot lately is how even though the internet's shattered our attention spans and inundated us with content, it hasn't eliminated the urge to pay obsessive attention to certain things. the autechre fandom is obviously a close to home example, but you even find it with much more mainstream content. you can get hundreds of thousands of followers just by close-reading a popular series. even with those internet video series shaka made a thread about, you can find tons of kids obsessing and speculating about details in the comments. miniaturization doesn't have to entail a loss of intensity/ambition.

You could use Autechre's music itself as an example here. The process seems an ever-deepening rabbit hole.

"What if each and every Latin Rascals razor blade micro edit was to re-edit itself violently?"

Take this and couple it with a relentless zooming in, seconds blown up into minutes under the microscope.

rubberdingyrapids

"actively cultivating what seems to be a pretty damaging development strikes me as a misstep."

This describes so much of the modern internet

Attention spans were unduly stretched by tedious, drawn out media. There's no merit in taking ages to get to the point. I'm reading the Brothers Karamazov — it's a bit shit. Come on, Ted, get to the fucking point. Hopefully, there's a TikTok adaptation soon.

Out on the savannah in the good old days, it was lionlioncrocgazellekilleatsingahuntingsonglionelephantgazelle every minute, all day long. Dying at 28 was a blessed relief, life was so indefinably fluid and hectic. I hope we can return to that tempo of being, our evolutionary birth right.

It's fine for you slow coaches to mouth read your way through Henry James books, but please don't pollute our media with your sub plots, allusions, references, and other literary "techniques". I want emojis and wojaks, you cunts. You're holding back a species breakthrough to DMT-elf pictokinetic hypersymbols.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
iu

This is the only valid response to anything you post.

You’ve succumbed to Tea’s gif disease, what a trooper

Back to the main question - the answer is in the title. What’s drill if not a metaphor for an acute state of ‘through’? Do you walk around a problem or go directly through it to attain a resolution? Depends on the the problem, any set of social domains and any given set of pathologies. What’s law? What are behavioural protocols?

Clearly this isn’t a universal. In rugby an expression “up the guts” means forwards staying tight to each other and moving directly up through the middle of the pitch repeatedly. In other realms people love to pontificate and theorise around shit, just look at certain interactions here of divs going round and round the mulberry bush. Conversely, you could apply ‘through’ more appropriately to the current discussions around the Israel/Hamas crisis thread, where the discourse cuts through core aspects of complex problems, ignoring divs aside. You might not agree with every aspect but I respect the ways discussions don’t manoeuvre around bs, unless you’re some kind of freak like @Rude Velvet

mixed_biscuits

Back to the main question - the answer is in the title. What’s drill if not a metaphor for an acute state of ‘through’? Do you walk around a problem or go directly through it to attain a resolution? Depends on the the problem, any set of social domains and any given set of pathologies. What’s law? What are behavioural protocols?

Clearly this isn’t a universal. In rugby an expression “up the guts” means forwards staying tight to each other and moving directly up through the middle of the pitch repeatedly. In other realms people love to pontificate and theorise around shit, just look at certain interactions here of divs going round and round the mulberry bush. Conversely, you could apply ‘through’ more appropriately to the current discussions around the Israel/Hamas crisis thread, where the discourse cuts through core aspects of complex problems, ignoring divs aside. You might not agree with every aspect but I respect the ways discussions don’t manoeuvre around bs, unless you’re some kind of freak like @Rude Velvet
Where did I read about the Israeli urban warfare technique of 'walking through walls' ie. just blasting their way through whatever lies in the way of a straight line

version

Where did I read about the Israeli urban warfare technique of 'walking through walls' ie. just blasting their way through whatever lies in the way of a straight line

In the infamous Frieze article of 2006,