The Maze

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Something where the trail you leave behind you (like in Greek myth) to find your way back out is mysteriously hoovered up b as you move along

You have to think you’ve mapped it only to realise you’re compromised to truly know you’re in one

version

My first thought's always the bird's eye view. I have to consciously imagine myself within the maze to get that perspective. It isn't my natural inclination. It feels less like a maze if you can't see a decent chunk of it, more like a topless corridor.

Reactions: sus

version

Hedges and statues. When I think concrete, I think labyrinth. I dunno that there's any distinction, but I get different images from the two terms.

woops

is not like other people
Hedges and statues. When I think concrete, I think labyrinth. I dunno that there's any distinction, but I get different images from the two terms.
i think the difference is that one of them doesn't have junctions, just a twisting path, but i don't remember which is which :(

version

The folds of the brain are patterned like a maze. Perhaps Kenner could have spoken literally when he described thought as a labyrinth.

william_kent

i think the difference is that one of them doesn't have junctions, just a twisting path, but i don't remember which is which :(

labyrinths only have one path, mazes have branching paths

323489a30c3459a2980bc84a2b67285c.jpg

william_kent

a big childhood disappointment was Hampton Court maze

beforehand, in my mind I imagined lush manicured grass and thick green hedges

but in reality the ground was tarmac decorated with bits of chewing gum, the hedges were dry, brittle, dead and dying leaves leaving whole patches where you could see through to the neighbouring paths and spot the dead ends , and they weren't that tall so even I, as a child could peer over them, and there were discarded empty crisp bags that had been deposited into them, took minutes to solve

version

This place is great.

The Forbidden Corner is a unique labyrinth of tunnels, chambers, follies and surprises created within a four acre garden in the heart of Tupgill Park and the Yorkshire Dales

The temple of the underworld, the eye of the needle, a huge pyramid made of translucent glass, paths and passages that lead nowhere, extraordinary statues – at every turn there are decisions to make and tricks to avoid.

nOA0OK9dTZ6.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember being really pleased to learn that the verb 'amaze' comes from the noun 'maze', as in, to be dumbfounded, as if lost in a maze.

sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What an apposite and intriguing thread to link to here! I wonder which hip young intellectual gunslinger started it?

• Haha