Am I in a parallel universe?

0bleak

Does anyone know anyone that actually listens to this stuff?
I mean, they must be very popular to afford such an elaborate stage show and massive band!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Does anyone know anyone that actually listens to this stuff?
I mean, they must be very popular to afford such an elaborate stage show and massive band!

I used to, for my sins.

Well, it's how you could get trips.

Very popular on university campuses, amongst a certain demographic.

0bleak

I'm just amazed at how massive the band is, and the whole stage show.
How do they afford all of that if they're not extremely popular?
It's so weird that I don't even see them being talked about anywhere - even the most generic electronic music forums, but maybe I never went to the right ones... either that or I've just ignored it when I've seen it talked about.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the guy behind this is a fantastic producer on a technical level. Great ear for what works. Mate of Woebot's I believe.

Awful music though in my opinion. too maximal and whimsy. just too hippie. Needs to be way funkier and much more minimal.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm just amazed at how massive the band is, and the whole stage show.
How do they afford all of that if they're not extremely popular?
It's so weird that I don't even see them being talked about anywhere - even the most generic electronic music forums, but maybe I never went to the right ones... either that or I've just ignored it when I've seen it talked about.

as far as I can understand it they tend to draw their fanbase from a mostly rock orientated/ex-rock crowd. Well in the UK at least!

0bleak

Awful music though in my opinion. too maximal and whimsy. just too hippie. Needs to be way funkier and much more minimal.
Aye - I tried to give Hallucinogen and a few others like that fair chance and some time with my ears back in the day, but it all just washed over me - nothing stuck.

mixed_biscuits

I came across this band via charity shop CDs a couple of years ago and thought they were the best thing of that type that I had heard, as well as having lots of variety and energetic musicality. My impression is that this sort of thing is an adjunct to a lifestyle, which lifestyle I know almost nothing about.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Patrick Lundborg who wrote Acid Archives (*the* book about 60s US psych) used to talk about Sphongle and some other contemporary trance stuff. He died a few years ago but I like to think he would have bounced before they had their ska punk years.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Patrick Lundborg who wrote Acid Archives (*the* book about 60s US psych) used to talk about Sphongle and some other contemporary trance stuff. He died a few years ago but I like to think he would have bounced before they had their ska punk years.
I should add he was deep into acid and psychedelia and saw them as a modern face of that. I respect his taste enough to contemplate that he might have been right but we all have off days.