maxi

9a848a21e34e4b1baada614ab4d1b158.jpg

he wrote this close to the end
Love? what is H. mort natural pain chillin what there in. love.

wtf does that mean

mixed_biscuits

Burroughs was definitely on the Beckett end of the spectrum but very occasionally hinted at wishing he could be more open. I wonder with that type of demeanour, like you ended up like that one way or another, does it ever feel like a cage or whatever.
Nominative determinism.

version

So artists are being authentic in their artifice but everyday Joes are in performance mode?

They're both performing, but there are levels to it. Someone making small talk at a party's performing, but it's usually not as deliberate and conscious a performance as an artist getting on stage and playing their music. It's done with a different intent, intensity, and set of expectations.

mixed_biscuits

Nor is artistic creation primarily communicative rather than just being a form of thought.

version

I don't think artists are especially authentic or open;

Neither do I, but I think making art is an act of openness because you're creating something outside yourself that other people can access. The same goes for public speaking or anything where you stick yourself in front of other people. You can be totally insincere, but you're still on stage showing people how insincere you are rather than keeping it to yourself.

mixed_biscuits

The primary communicative process is with one's self, as one gets to see how one builds on this expressed thinking through its continued expression...creative work is fun for that reason rather than for its reception by others...being in the process of creation is its own reward.

mixed_biscuits

Most people do something creative but most of them have no desire for a substantial audience. Artists who optimise for audience contact probably lose personal interest in their own work because they are no longer communicating with themselves e.g. the technically masterful songwriter sausage machines of the hit parade.