william_kent

The Hulme Crescents are beautiful. Gerald Simpson lived there

they were so beautiful I was moved to write a poem

Streets in the sky
a place where you could score
and get high
without your feet touching the floor

william_kent

you can see one of my giro drops and a flat where I actually resided in the photo above

the phone box in that picture is where I phoned 999 to report a dead body

william_kent

that estate pub you can see, it was THE EAGLE

1_LG_MEN_24214192_The_Eagle_Hulme.jpg

that was run by the wrestling champion HONEY BOY ZIMBA

After stumbling across The Eagle on a night out, one former student remembered the locals clientele of the pub as "like inmates from an insane asylum".

He described one former boxer who commandeered the pool table as staring at him with "mad red chicken eyes". He also recounts another "heavy metal Rasta guy" as dancing in the middle of the pub to a tune that was playing in his own head.

On Sunday afternoons I used to love looking out my window and watching the traveller folk outside the EAGLE egging on their children to 'fucking deck the bastard' in bare knuckle contests, but then the parents would get all aggro and before you know it blood feuds would form

william_kent

THE EAGLE landlord:

The Grass skirt, muscles on top of muscles, the colourful persona, the red and white beads around his neck all combined to make Honey Boy Zimba one of the most popular heavyweights of the sixties and seventies. He impressed wrestling enthusiast Main Mask who believed promoters could have done more to give him a higher profile, “His style was built around strength and power moves and he was well equipped with the ‘lethal’ Head Butt which all his opponents were anxious to avoid! On occasions he shared top billing, but he never seemed to win. I saw him dominate in some contests with his foe clearly struggling against his power,then it would end as a draw, as those were the orders.”

At 15 stone 7 pounds but only 5’7″, Honey Boy was ideally placed to take on middleweights and up, and regularly faced Giant Haystacks. Apart from the aforementioned Head Butt he could deliver a very effective dropkick at speed, much to the surprise of fans who did not expect a man of his stature to spring into action.

catalog

Sir Kent of William is a true gent, he let me scab as many rollies as I wanted and walked me towards the station when I was falling down drunk and in danger of missing my last train.

He's also one of those people who starts a ridiculous adventure story off minimal prompting and then you say two words and he's off again but I'm hanging on his every word.

Has truly lived a life and has an admirable moral code. I feel like his coworkers are blessed to be around him cos he knows computers inside out but not in a patronising way.