I hate Sigur Ros!

shudder

soundslike1981 said:
The main proselytising mix I've made was the 1981 box, which was about 460 bands/musicians over 25 hrs of music, etc. etc.

holy shit. 25 hours. holy shit.

soundslike1981 said:
I'm working on one right now for conversion purposes (of Radiohead type kids, etc.) that just kind of combines the "holy shit" basics with a certain vibe that really does it for me--stuff like:

---big list---

looks very cool. There are some songs there which i love, and so many artists that have been on the outside of my radar/meaning to check out...

I kno this is a dead thread but I saw these guys'

new video on TV yesterday and was blown the f*** away. F*** the hate - that was fiyah. Scary and happy at the same time. Big tune standard.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
In Moll said:
I'd regret if in 10 years I said to myself "hmmph, wish I would have payed attention 10 years ago, I'd have loved to see animal collective or gang gang dance when they were in their prime, but I was too preoccupied with avoiding new 'fads.'"

"avoiding new fads", well put.

ewmy

Genre Addict
Revive! New Album...

Anyone got the new album, "Takk..."? I'm kind of imagining not, given some of the vitriol here, but I really like it :)

It's very hard to explain why, but listening to Sigur Rós makes me feel like someone's just given me some really bad news, but it's a sunny day and I've got nothing to do, so I go outside to think about it, and while staring at the sky I think "oh, fuck it, maybe it's not so bad after all". It's a totally false feeling most of the time, but that bizarre euphoric rush sensation from the depths is worth it. I get the same from Orbital's "Belfast", "Hallogallo" on Neu!, or Raymond Scott's baby music - it's like a musical opiate.

treblekicker

True Faith
ewmy said:
Anyone got the new album, "Takk..."? I'm kind of imagining not, given some of the vitriol here, but I really like it :)

It's very hard to explain why, but listening to Sigur Rós makes me feel like someone's just given me some really bad news, but it's a sunny day and I've got nothing to do, so I go outside to think about it, and while staring at the sky I think "oh, fuck it, maybe it's not so bad after all". It's a totally false feeling most of the time, but that bizarre euphoric rush sensation from the depths is worth it. I get the same from Orbital's "Belfast", "Hallogallo" on Neu!, or Raymond Scott's baby music - it's like a musical opiate.

Yeah, I've always disliked the band but the new album is great. He's finally toned down the histronics that ruined the previous albums. I guess the only thing I would say that it's probably the last iteration of the whole post-shoegaze thing. I can't see anywhere for it to go - the beatific nature of the new album feels like a final refinement of that tendency of the genre. Someone please prove me wrong though! Great post BTW In Moll :)

As for the whole age thing, one of the pleasures for me of getting older is seeing how one thing leads to another. I like knowing how Sigur Ros are influenced by Eno, Mogwai, MBV etc. It adds to the pleasure, it doesn't detract, because regardless of influences, like it or not every generation puts its own spin and always does something that adds to the story.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
treblekicker said:
Yeah, I've always disliked the band but the new album is great. He's finally toned down the histronics that ruined the previous albums. I guess the only thing I would say that it's probably the last iteration of the whole post-shoegaze thing. I can't see anywhere for it to go - the beatific nature of the new album feels like a final refinement of that tendency of the genre. Someone please prove me wrong though! Great post BTW In Moll :)

As for the whole age thing, one of the pleasures for me of getting older is seeing how one thing leads to another. I like knowing how Sigur Ros are influenced by Eno, Mogwai, MBV etc. It adds to the pleasure, it doesn't detract, because regardless of influences, like it or not every generation puts its own spin and always does something that adds to the story.

you're a nitwit. They're trying even harder to sound like ColdPlay as opposed to Eno, MBV and I don't know anything of Mogwai, just shows how pseudo-intellectual Sigur fans really are. C.R.A.P.

treblekicker

True Faith
Buick6 said:
you're a nitwit. They're trying even harder to sound like ColdPlay as opposed to Eno, MBV and I don't know anything of Mogwai, just shows how pseudo-intellectual Sigur fans really are. C.R.A.P.

So I'm a nitwit and you can't place them in context? Coldplay has little to do with them - they predate Coldplay and haven't really changed their style, just worked on their quality control. See for me Coldplay are Radiohead-lite and nothing to do with Sigur Ros. Whereas, Flying Saucer Attack, My Bloody Valentine, Mogwai, Jessica Balliff, Clear Horizon etc, all had these long periods of droney, beatific music which Sigur Ros take and amplify. This isn't to say they are superior - MBV are wayyyy superior but they have perfected one aspect of this style of music. Maybe you just don't like them. Stranger things have happened you know, Mr Intellectual.

When do we invoke Godwin's law? :)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Heard a song off this new album on the radio this morning (having not read these last few posts) and immediately thought of Coldplay. The vocalist sounds different, obviously, but in terms of a musical ball park for what they sound like - with the prominence of the piano, the weepy strings, brushed drums, etc. - I reckon Coldplay is a better point of reference than most of that 90s Shoegaze stuff. If you want to talk about Eno, the closest point I can think of is U2's 'Unforgettable Fire' or the quiet stuff on James's 'Laid'.