Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Distant Voices, Still Lives is playing at a local revival house in San Francisco next week, maybe even in 35mm, might go see that again. First saw it at the Gene Siskel theater in Chicago.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's a funny question because Chaplin, Hitchcock, Ridley and Tony Scott are better than most of the British directors who you would talk about as British directors but because all of their best work has been Hollywood product they don't really get put on the list. Michael Powell could easily have joined them, but chose not to. So he made (mostly) British films, but none of these would have happened without a large contingent of emigre Hungarians and Germans who helped to give these films their European texture and sensibility.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It's a funny question because Chaplin, Hitchcock, Ridley and Tony Scott are better than most of the British directors who you would talk about as British directors but because all of their best work has been Hollywood product they don't really get put on the list. Michael Powell could easily have joined them, but chose not to. So he made (mostly) British films, but none of these would have happened without a large contingent of emigre Hungarians and Germans who helped to give his films their European texture and sensibility.
Yeah thats why I had reservations including about Chaplin and Hitchcock here (although I had been overlooking the Scotts). Of the pre-hollywood films Hitchcock made, I dare say 39 Steps is the only really good one. Think I've seen all of his before that, and that must be among the last he made before going to Hollywood (although I think he did a few more back in London in later years).

craner

Beast of Burden
You could probably argue that one of the greatest British film makers of all was the Hungarian producer Alexander Korda.

craner

Beast of Burden
I dare say 39 Steps is the only really good one.

I think Hitchcock lovers would take exception to this and certainly stick up for The Lodger, Blackmail, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Sabotage and The Lady Vanishes. I'm not a Hitchcock lover, so I probably wouldn't.

craner

Beast of Burden
The one thing I will say for British film directors is that at least they're better than the French.