Jump-up anyone?

reza

matt b said:
time. jump-up started around 1996. most of the ones you mention are 1995, if i remember correctly

well, they're ace tunes, but a bit busy for jump-up.

dj hype's 'peace love and unity' would be the ganja tunes jump-up standard.

I disagree - second half of 95, that's when it all kicked off. If they're not jump-up tunes what are they?

ThinKing

ewmy said:
Joker Recordings. Seen as a bit of a joke (no pun intended) aren't they though?

Also, just found this site: http://j4jungle.com. Every single AWOL set ever!

Joker are def now seen as a bit of a pisstake, but they did put out some decent tunes in with all the crap.

Don't forget labels like Back 2 Basics & 2nd Movement (decent stuff by Ascend, Ultravibe & JB). TOV put out some quality jump-up around 96/97, as someone mentioned further up ^^. Special K's track Danger was classic TOV at the time, and there was good stuff from Reality, Nu Balance and DJ Red too. Also, noone seems to have mentioned the No Smoking/Smokers Inc camp either.

Damn, I could go on but I might bore you.

reza

ThinKing said:
Joker are def now seen as a bit of a pisstake, but they did put out some decent tunes in with all the crap.

Don't forget labels like Back 2 Basics & 2nd Movement (decent stuff by Ascend, Ultravibe & JB). TOV put out some quality jump-up around 96/97, as someone mentioned further up ^^. Special K's track Danger was classic TOV at the time, and there was good stuff from Reality, Nu Balance and DJ Red too. Also, noone seems to have mentioned the No Smoking/Smokers Inc camp either.

Damn, I could go on but I might bore you.

yes indeed ThinKing - always thought Smokey Joe/ No Smoking were a bit underrated myself...

ripley

ThinKing said:
TOV put out some quality jump-up around 96/97, as someone mentioned further up ^^.

That was me.

ThinKing said:
Special K's track Danger was classic TOV at the time,

yes, I mentioned that track too!

and yeah, like you said, lots of of the smoking-reference labels (pro or con) had some good, bouncy choons back then.
Look for a cigarette on the label = my first clue for the Breakbeat Science sale bin back in 1996.

Prizna made some great jump-up (perhaps some would dispute it's "really" jump-up, I dunno)

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
jump-up/hardstep mix I did two weeks ago

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1R9AZW796056V3EBDKZ8M1DLZM

(sorry about the YSI link, but for some bizarre reason I can't upload stuff via FTP programs, yet I can upload on a web browser)

Pearsall - Firestorm
01. Tribe of Issachar - Champion Natty (Jungle Redemption) (Congo Natty)
02. MA3 - Those DJ's (Formation)
03. Prisoners of Technology - Trick of Technology (Fresh Kutt)
04. Ganja Kru - Plague That Never Ends (Parousia)
05. DJ Red - Enta Da Dragon (Trouble On Vinyl)
06. Secret Weapon - Strange Dayz (Protocol)
07. DJ Die - Play It For Me (V Recordings)
08. Mask - Splurt (Dope Dragon)
09. Vinyl Syndicate - Man of Steal (Urban Shakedown)
10. DJ Krust - Warhead (V Recordings)
11. Shanie - (You're Gonna) Miss My Face (Dillinja RMX) (Cyba)
12. Mampi Swift - Hi-Tek (Charge)
13. DJ Stretch - Do or Die (Reinforced)
14. DJ Zinc feat. MC GQ - Bring the Danger (True Playa'z)
15. Substance - Rebuke You (Breakbeat Culture)
16. Renegade - Dark Soldier (Dread)
17. SIR & Ruff B - The Fast Lane (Prohibition)
18. Gang Related & Mask - Tear It Up (Dope Dragon)
19. Smokey Joe - Freakin' With The Cut RMX (Smoker's Inc)
20. Alibi & Leo - The Don (Foundation)
21. Freestyles - Play the Game (True Playa'z)
22. Jay-Dee - Vocal Acrobatics (Mecca)
23. Origin Unknown - Lunar Bass (Ram)
24. Dillinja - Unexplored Terrain (V Recordings)
25. Dillinja - Thugs (Test)
26. Micky Finn & Aphrodite - Badass (Urban Takeover)
27. Ellis Dee feat. MC Fats - 97 Style (Collusion)

it gets a bit odd towards the end, partly because I had run out of the records I had planned to play, so I just started chucking stuff in. but, all in all, I think it's pretty fun as far as these things go.

Last edited:

ThinKing

ripley said:
Prizna made some great jump-up (perhaps some would dispute it's "really" jump-up, I dunno)

Nah, I was gonna check that name too, some wicked stuff on Kickin Underground Sound.

@ Pearsall, that's a wicked mix right there, some of my all time favourites in there, even if it ain't all strictyly jump-up.