what are your favourite grime slang terms?

cooper

h-crimm said:
theres plenty of weapon words... zugga, brat, bora, gatt, cosh... not sure which is which...

bora = "borer"; .22 air pellet pistol that's been bored out to accept a .22 cartridge. don't know if any of the others are specific.
"bring ya borer, bring ya mash" - what's dizzee saying there? is "mash" something specific?
"borer tucked 'tween my waist and my belly-button" - demon

sorry to be a stick in the mud but...

I and loads of people around me were saying a lot of this stuff around 12 years ago in secondary school times....grime/garage was not around then....

Tha Megatron

i gotta say mines is "WASTEMAN". i have no idea why but its kinda catchy and its fun to call random people who piss me off in everyday american day to day life a "wasteman". Especially my boss at work!

mega

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
cooper said:
bora = "borer"; .22 air pellet pistol that's been bored out to accept a .22 cartridge. don't know if any of the others are specific.
"bring ya borer, bring ya mash" - what's dizzee saying there? is "mash" something specific?
"borer tucked 'tween my waist and my belly-button" - demon

A logical assumption, but incorrect unfortunately. Bora is something with which you would bore someone with; ie: a Knife

Red Rooster

Correct Logan!

He seems to have got the definition confused with that of "Re-Bore"

which is exactly what he thought borer meant

D

droid

luka said:
yeah alms became arms long before demon. capleton was using it in the arms sense.

:confused: er... I dont think so. Theres that Capleton LP 'Alms-House' for a start... I reckon Demon (or whoever started using it first in grime) either punned it or misheard it.

gabriel

The Heatwave
as far as i've been aware, alms house in jamaican/dancehall parlance has had the same meaning for the past 15-20 years and always means, as someone pointed out, roughly 'beef'. or conflict, fuckery, or any other general kind of badness, aggression or front. it's a very vague term.

e.g. 'i'll bring alms house to your mums house' just means i'll come round to yr mum's and be generally annoying, lairy, possibly violent. similary 'don't talk almshouse if you can't back it up' or whatever the dizzee quote someone mentioned earlier is.

nothing at all to do with arms, though maybe londoners have misheard it and assumed that it's about guns, i don't listen to much grime so i don't know.

i've no idea why it came to mean this at all though, from the original meaning of alms for the poor and all that.

...also as tactics points out, many many of these terms are well old and were not originated in grime, or even the uk: kotch, link, still, pickney, shotta, sket/skettel, gallist, don, bow cat, sekkle/settle and bare (actually a corruption of pure as in 'it was pure madness' or 'there were pure girls in there' - becomes 'pere' in a JA accent then corrupted to 'bare) are all jamaican patois (though some, like skettel - biblical term - are older and/or english in origin)

Last edited:
D

droid

xiquet said:
as far as i've been aware, alms house in jamaican/dancehall parlance has had the same meaning for the past 15-20 years and always means, as someone pointed out, roughly 'beef'. or conflict, fuckery, or any other general kind of badness, aggression or front. it's a very vague term.

Please see page 3 of this thread.. Alms-house in jamaica doesnt and has never (as far as i know - but i could be wrong) meant beef/trouble conflict or aggression, nor it is vague at all. It'\s the exact opposite, as it literally means an 'alms house' for the poor and needy, and is also used to mean 'charity' or good works.

Ive put an example of this upthread.

e.g. 'i'll bring alms house to your mums house' just means i'll come round to yr mum's and be generally annoying, lairy, possibly violent. similary 'don't talk almshouse if you can't back it up' or whatever the dizzee quote someone mentioned earlier is.

nothing at all to do with arms, though maybe londoners have misheard it and assumed that it's about guns, i don't listen to much grime so i don't know.

Nope - dont think so. Theyre clearly saying ARMS house, and not ALMS house, and as you say, i think it was either a (pretty funny) mistake or a deliberate pun.

i've no idea why it came to mean this at all though, from the original meaning of alms for the poor and all that.

Its only come to mean this because grime took the Jamaican 'alms' and turned it into 'arms'. it still means the same thing in Jamaica, and i dont know of a single reggae or dancehall tune or special that says different.

Sorry i brought this up now! ;)

gabriel

The Heatwave
droid said:
Please see page 3 of this thread.. Alms-house in jamaica doesnt and has never (as far as i know - but i could be wrong) meant beef/trouble conflict or aggression, nor it is vague at all. It'\s the exact opposite, as it literally means an 'alms house' for the poor and needy, and is also used to mean 'charity' or good works.

Ive put an example of this upthread.

yeah i read the whole thread, but not at all convinced this is true. i know its literal meaning is 'house of alms' but i'm sure i've heard tonnes of references to the meaning i posted about in reggae/dancehall tunes. will have a dig at some point and pull out some quotes, can't remember any off top of head

possibly, though, the vague/conflict meaning that i refer to is simply a uk one but is old (was used A LOT at my school from about 92-96), and consequently i've attributed it to jamaica. but i'm pretty sure that when it was being used in the early 90s its meaning came direct from the jamaican one.

droid said:
Nope - dont think so. Theyre clearly saying ARMS house, and not ALMS house, and as you say, i think it was either a (pretty funny) mistake or a deliberate pun.

not sure how the difference between arms and alms is clear, seeing as the two words sound exactly the same?!

D

droid

xiquet said:
yeah i read the whole thread, but not at all convinced this is true. i know its literal meaning is 'house of alms' but i'm sure i've heard tonnes of references to the meaning i posted about in reggae/dancehall tunes. will have a dig at some point and pull out some quotes, can't remember any off top of head

possibly, though, the vague/conflict meaning that i refer to is simply a uk one but is old (was used A LOT at my school from about 92-96), and consequently i've attributed it to jamaica. but i'm pretty sure that when it was being used in the early 90s its meaning came direct from the jamaican one.

Come with the quotes! Ive not been able to find anything other than it being used in Capletons Alms house stuff and the odd soundboy and JA forums mention (in the context of charity). Not saying that meaning doesnt exist in JA - but i aint heard any references...

not sure how the difference between arms and alms is clear, seeing as the two words sound exactly the same?!

:confused: They dont though.. AR -ms sounds very different to AL -ms. Arms always has the AR at the start. Alms is always pronounced with a silent 'L' like aa-ms, or with a normal L as in 'el-ms', which is a very audible difference IMO - and anyway.. isnt that Demon tune actually called 'Armshouse'?

gabriel

The Heatwave
LOL, you must have a much more trained ear than me, i swear i can't distinguish at all!

the other meaning it had at my school was similar to 'dark' as in, 'man, that's almshouse' if someone had done something bad etc. an equally inexplicable derivation! no idea if this is ja, uk or other in origin... or just confined to my school :confused:

D

droid

Hmm... I think we need a definitive answer.. any reggae dons out there know of a tune that mentions an 'Arms house'? Any grime heads know how it came to be used by UK MC's?

Last edited by a moderator:

gabriel

The Heatwave
ok... realised my understanding of 'almshouse' may be informed more by jamaican writings/speech than by dancehall tunes. will still try and dig out some musical references but for now, here's some online stuff

(1) an example of jamaican usage of almshouse as in 'general fuckery'
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=53292&highlight=almshouse

(2) an example of jamaican usage of almshouse as an adjective, a la 'dark' or 'wrong'
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=57980&page=2&highlight=almshouse
(scroll down to the post by DEDAINTY1)

gabriel

The Heatwave
ok, got some quotes from songs now...

Capleton - 'Alms House'
Almshouse - we nuh want dat bout…it no right, capleton a step up in a life and a next entertainer a give him a fight

Beres Hammond & Buju Banton - 'Queen and Lady'
You may be someone else lady before but yu ah my girl now, my woman now. Almshouse weh use to gwaan dat caan gwaan no more cause yu ah my girl now, my woman now

Capleton - 'Bun Dem Every Day'
Well all dem promote is just coke and crack
Pon a innocent life di whole a dem a try stop
Wid yuh nurses and yuh docs, yuh soldiers and yuh cops
Yuh churches and yuh synagogues di whole a dem a go flop
Dem a wait pon di body dem fi put inna di box
A wait pon di body deh fi put inna di vault
But a Emperor Selassie seh di alms house fi stop
Well life mi promote soget it straight to di top

-------------

notice the differences in meaning here..

1. infighting between entertainers (capleton goes on to refer to the problems faced by the likes of roundhead, grindsman and panhead and bemoan the fact that in the days of sugar minott and jr reid, there was less feuding between dancehall artists)

2. referring to the early stages of a relationship that needed to be fully resolved, ie buju was upset cos his girl was still with someone else and that is 'almshouse'

3. a synonym for senseless killings in particular, and corruption/babylonian wrongdoing in general

case closed?

Last edited:
D

droid

xiquet said:
ok... realised my understanding of 'almshouse' may be informed more by jamaican writings/speech than by dancehall tunes. will still try and dig out some musical references but for now, here's some online stuff

(1) an example of jamaican usage of almshouse as in 'general fuckery'
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=53292&highlight=almshouse

(2) an example of jamaican usage of almshouse as an adjective, a la 'dark' or 'wrong'
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=57980&page=2&highlight=almshouse
(scroll down to the post by DEDAINTY1)

Cant get to the second one without being logged in. The first one is ambiguous to say the least. I dont really know what hes trying to say there at all, but I dont think its quite that straightforward... Im not denying that the term can be used in a negative sense, but I reckon its still related somehow to the original meaning. Ive got a soundclash tape where a Soundboy refers to the other sound: 'dem a almshouse sound! Dem a beg friend an borrow duplate'.. Addies vs Downbeat I think it is.... found an interesting quote as well:

"There is a certain stigma attached to the name 'infirmary,' and the use of terms such as 'poorhouse or almshouse' has a distinctly negative connotation," she argues. "These names convey the idea that these places are for the poorest of the poor in society.

I imagine this is something like how the term 'charity case' is used in these ends...

Anyways - still up in the air on this... the more I find out about it, the more of a catch-all phrase this seems to be, in normal conversational use at least..

Any JA readers out there who can clear up this tremendously important point? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

gabriel

The Heatwave
interesting quote, that sounds like a very plausible explanation for the usage. also would explain the variety of different uses, in that it's employed to give a general, negative connotation.

re: ambiguity - patois is all about this. one would be very hard pressed to find unambiguous definitions of many, if not most, jamaican words... isn't this part of the nature of patois? no one has ever fixed these meanings (or even spellings in many cases) by writing them down and so they change in meaning more than most words IMO, both over time and also in different geographical locations.

EDIT - your link to the quote doesn't work :(

D

droid

Cool - Ill fix that link now...

xiquet said:
1. infighting between entertainers (capleton goes on to refer to the problems faced by the likes of roundhead, grindsman and panhead and bemoan the fact that in the days of sugar minott and jr reid, there was less feuding between dancehall artists)

Youre right about this. But instead of the specific reference youve given above, aint it possible that it just means 'bad behaviour', 'disorganisation' or as you said earlier: 'fuckery' Similar to what you might encounter at an alms-house?

2. referring to the early stages of a relationship that needed to be fully resolved, ie buju was upset cos his girl was still with someone else and that is 'almshouse'

I reckon hes saying there that he was in the 'poorhouse', or in a 'bad state' before he got his girl. Whilst it is in reference to a relationship, the meaning of the word stays roughly the same IMO.

3. a synonym for senseless killings in particular, and corruption/babylonian wrongdoing in general

:confused: Could be. im not sure what those two lines before it mean. Couldnt it just be referring to general bad behaviour?

case closed

Not quite - Ive got a bunch of tunes (from Capleton too) that push the other meaning as well... As it stands at the moment I can see three simultaneous possibile defintions:

Its literal meaning as a place of charity, or an act of charity.

The reverse of above: A charity case, being down and out, bottom of the pile.

General fuckery/Bad Behaviour/General Wrongdoing...

Whatcha think?

Sorry for the thread Hijack btw - but its vital that we clear this up! :)