DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomnoise

♫
autonomicforthepeople said:
the sheet says july 17, but that's according to the tempa calendar which isn't totally in synch with the gregorian one. i'm guessing august sometime.

reviews of that, plus other new tempa, dumpvalve and skull disco are forthcoming on riddim.ca.

should be ready soon. the tempa calendar is catching up. launch party down fwd this week. cds should be available the following week.

adruu

This Is It
I think it's great especially for a first album.

I think Benga and Distance are the ones I actually <i>anticipate</i> hearing new stuff from. The other stuff I just expect to be good.

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
according to boomkat, I should have Dubstep Allstars 4 in the post tomorrow...

but when have they ever been wrong about dates?
icon_lol.gif

mms

sometimes
C/Dizzle said:
according to boomkat, I should have Dubstep Allstars 4 in the post tomorrow...

but when have they ever been wrong about dates?
icon_lol.gif

yep its going to be next week now i think.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'm most anticipating Distance's album- his work is probably as diverse as it gets in dubstep, (from gnarly techstep inspired stuff to neo-metal, from 4x4 to melodic near ambientstep, to gothic choirs etc etc) and he always crafts compelling melodics on top, which is useful for home listening...

Also is Pinch doing an album for Planet Mu or what?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
On the slander front: Chatting to one of my friends' brothers today, (a big minimal techno fan, and of dance music generally) he said that he doesn't rate dubstep as "its boys music, made by boys for boys, and there are never any women in attendance at the club nights..."

I know this isn't exactly a new accusation, but what do you say here? I mean I mentioned the feminine 2-step ancestry, the playful perversity of Kode 9 and the summery anthemicism of Mala, the fact that DMZ is gradually getting more mixed, but still... Its not a great image to have is it?

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
On the slander front: Chatting to one of my friends' brothers today, (a big minimal techno fan, and of dance music generally) he said that he doesn't rate dubstep as "its boys music, made by boys for boys, and there are never any women in attendance at the club nights..."

I know this isn't exactly a new accusation, but what do you say here? I mean I mentioned the feminine 2-step ancestry, the playful perversity of Kode 9 and the summery anthemicism of Mala, the fact that DMZ is gradually getting more mixed, but still... Its not a great image to have is it?

dmz is well mixed - my girlfriend will safetly go on her own etc.
boys music is bizarrely the same accusation thats always been leveled at techno isnt it?
in both cases it's not really true but i've only seen one femal dubstep dj

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ahuh, that was my thought too... FFS minimal squelchy house is pretty much IDM (boys music) meets tech house (boys music)--- its boys music squared to the power of sweaty bedrooms! Dubstep ought to appeal more to girls than modern day minimal (as much as I admire and enjoy minimal)... is it the lack of euphoria, be it the itchy uptown hauteur of Uk Garage or the E/coke/K'd out drugbliss of 4/4 art techno that puts them off? I agree that DMZ is gradually evening out, and 4wrd is usually pretty mixed from what I can remember...

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
Ahuh, that was my thought too... FFS minimal squelchy house is pretty much IDM (boys music) meets tech house (boys music)--- its boys music squared to the power of sweaty bedrooms! Dubstep ought to appeal more to girls than modern day minimal (as much as I admire and enjoy minimal)... is it the lack of euphoria, be it the itchy uptown hauteur of Uk Garage or the E/coke/K'd out drugbliss of 4/4 art techno that puts them off? I agree that DMZ is gradually evening out, and 4wrd is usually pretty mixed from what I can remember...

minimal is more glamourous than dubstep, groovier hair, vests for men, more hetro-campy, but yes alot of people who were idm headz are minimal headz 4 shure, but minimal has few ecstatic moments, just drop aways, black hole gurgles into space, strange moods and odd polythythms. infact there are simularities crossover potential, strange details and strangeness in minmal could work in dubstep, in the same way minimal could lean from atmosphere development and bassline pressure in dubstep.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Minimal/dubstep has been an inking of an idea in my mind too... the aim would be a kind of Villalobos/Pinch cross, all pointilistic minimal tension and texture, the danger (and I've had a few stabs at producing this kind of thing) is a reversion to a kind of IDM ordinaire (as minimal lifts the textures-- plip, plop, hyper edit, and dubstep kind of approximates the drum rhythms and dismal atmosphere of old skool IDM)--- get it wrong and this would truly be dire!

fandango

Tiny Robot
gek-opel said:
Minimal/dubstep has been an inking of an idea in my mind too... the aim would be a kind of Villalobos/Pinch cross, all pointilistic minimal tension and texture, the danger (and I've had a few stabs at producing this kind of thing) is a reversion to a kind of IDM ordinaire (as minimal lifts the textures-- plip, plop, hyper edit, and dubstep kind of approximates the drum rhythms and dismal atmosphere of old skool IDM)--- get it wrong and this would truly be dire!

Cassy's upcoming Panorama Bar mix opens with a Dubstep* track that was charted by Ricardo and closes with 2 Step! (thanks Tim F for the track ID)

And well Skream did play there a little while back too, Zip has been playing it out too apparently. And having the Hard Wax gus enthusiastically on your side can't hurt.

*Shackleton's "Blood On My Hands" which is lithe, (not blocky 2step styles) immense but crucially incredibly accessible. The high number of crossover records like that coming out keep me excited about this stuff even when in reality, I don't follow it very closely at all!

nomos

Administrator
fandango said:
*Shackleton's "Blood On My Hands" which is lithe, (not blocky 2step styles) immense but crucially incredibly accessible. The high number of crossover records like that coming out keep me excited about this stuff even when in reality, I don't follow it very closely at all!
Shackleton is bloody amazing. People don't talk about him enough.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
gek-opel said:

uncanny you use the words pinch and pointilistic... i mentioned that art movement to Pinch last year about his stuff, i think it's his beats that remind me of it.

incidentally bits of Crackle Blues, esp the high hats (where the snare should be), were inspired by Akufen's Fabric mix.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
gek-opel said:
I've been pondering this sort of thing, actually... I'm wondering if there's anything that us mere spectator / commentators can do to convince the 'I used to make genre X (eg dnb, IDM) but I'm a bit jaded with it since it's gone shit, I really like this dubstep stuff so I think I'll have a go at that' massive that the way forward is not to make dubstep that features all the bits of genre X that make it shit (ie macho metallic grindyness for the dnb people, excessive pointless fiddlyness for the IDM creux) thereby making dubstep shit, but to try to bring the good bits of dubstep (space, sparseness, atmosphere, bass) into genre X, thereby making genre X good again, leaving dubstep good too, and keeping everyone happy.

It doesn't seem like it's too hard an idea to grasp, nor that the people involved lack the skills to make it work, but maybe music doesn't work like that...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Slothrop said:
I've been pondering this sort of thing, actually... I'm wondering if there's anything that us mere spectator / commentators can do to convince the 'I used to make genre X (eg dnb, IDM) but I'm a bit jaded with it since it's gone shit, I really like this dubstep stuff so I think I'll have a go at that' massive that the way forward is not to make dubstep that features all the bits of genre X that make it shit (ie macho metallic grindyness for the dnb people, excessive pointless fiddlyness for the IDM creux) thereby making dubstep shit, but to try to bring the good bits of dubstep (space, sparseness, atmosphere, bass) into genre X, thereby making genre X good again, leaving dubstep good too, and keeping everyone happy.

invariably, people making these kinds of musical choices don't see your points above. perhaps voting with your wallet is the best action?

Status
Not open for further replies.