DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
What happened to just ripping off samples and not giving a toss where they come from...like everyone was doing in hardcore and jungle?

I thought that was the point.

The more 'organic' (valid) approach is one which takes the references and plays around with them, interprets them through their own musical/cultural filters, getting to the essence of said sound, but not doing so using the tried and tested cliches, thus demonstrating a deeper level of understanding. This respects the foreign culture as a living breathing entity, embracing an open, interested mulitculturalism.

Seriously though, who is doing that and how does one differentiate between a miscontexturalised cultural tourist and a genuine multicultural sonic hybridist given that motive and intent is rarely obvious ?

In total agreeance about the off beat skank. Scuba is about the only one I've heard pull it off convincingly and even then in sparseness.

Maybe in dubstep Logos, artists developed a conscience ?

nomos

Administrator
you still seem to be suggesting that the distinction lies down some geographical path...
No no, not at all. I've almost always lived too far away from the scenes I've been into to make any sort of geographically essentialist claim like that.

Rather, I'd argue that such references are absolutely fair game no matter how close geographically/culturally you are to them...
Yes.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
he's over egged the ethnic thing, there aren't that many tracks that use ethnicky samples and most of the time its in a cultural context of kung fu and bollywood films.
i talked to loefah years ago about using indian music breaks and he said it was just to get a good organic sounding break beat that was unusual and he liked them.

basically some people use these samples well, and as usual some use em badly,
monsoon, that pinch track, earliesh kode 9, early loefah, shackleton do it well, cos theyre good producers.
personally, i've got no problem with people taking snippets of music and recontextuaising them, they occasionaly sound amazing and i'm glad people experiment with it. rather than some cock with a guitar again.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
What about "Camel Ride", by Plasticman.

With the opening Asian-sounding flute-line, then the creeping beat, and finally the unexpected bassline-drop, it does have a feel of someone sticking ethnic-sounding samples over something modern and mechanic. But its very dissonance it makes it so good, in my opinion. I really get the feeling like Im on some camel, walking through an imposing and pretty psychedelic desert.

mms

sometimes
What about "Camel Ride", by Plasticman.

With the opening Asian-sounding flute-line, then the creeping beat, and finally the unexpected bassline-drop, it does have a feel of someone sticking ethnic-sounding samples over something modern and mechanic. But its very dissonance it makes it so good, in my opinion. I really get the feeling like Im on some camel, walking through an imposing and pretty psychedelic desert.

he edits that really nicely and it's got a good twist on it though,sme backwards editing and that, sounds great.
yes that's an ace track, that was by no means a good list at all btw.

evergreen

What happened to just ripping off samples and not giving a toss where they come from...like everyone was doing in hardcore and jungle?

I thought that was the point.
hardcore and jungle basically were collections of samples thrown together, whereas in synthetic dubstep every sample used in the mix sounds much more intentional, leaving the question of authorial intent wide open. it doesn't help that dubstep is so minimal either, it's like every sound has to be interrogated on its purpose for being there.

i also wonder if notions of authenticity in dubstep are suddenly important to people because of all the preceding discourse on grime's realness and relationship to geography. criticisms of dubstep's 'exoticism' don't make much sense to me when no one currently raises an eyebrow at sino-grime or people slamming latin horns and salsa percussion over 909s in techno, etc.

Last edited:
Sino grime ? Can't say that I've come across that one before. Are we talking Chinese grime mc's like sub- continental bhangramuffin ? That sounds great where can i hear some ? While I'm at it, is anybody aware of any ex pat asian producers making dubstep or something like it ?

With regards to Latin techno. I could imagine Latino producers slamming percussion and horns over their own form of house music then having it imitated being a likely scenario. I could also imagine the percussion and horns being the least interesting thing in those tunes whereas in dubstep those ethnic elements tend to be the most interesting.

Try listening to japan-plastician and 1st dynasty-forensix as arbitrary examples and imagining the ethnic samples not being there.

Last edited:

Don Rosco

leaving the question of authorial intent wide open.

I must confess i'm kind of mystified by this whole thing. Do people really think that some producer sits in his studio and says to himself 'I need something more authentic in here to validate this tune. This eastern thing will do nicely'

Maybe they just like the sample? Maybe they heard someone else do a tune with an eastern sample and thought, yeah that sounds wicked, i'll try something similar.

Maybe it doesn't work sometimes, but then sometimes people write shitty basslines, or get the mixdown wrong, or use a horrible snare. No one is questioning their intent, so what is it about eastern samples that makes them different? It's just a bloody sample.

evergreen

Sino grime ? Can't say that I've come across that one before. Are we talking Chinese grime mc's like sub- continental bhangramuffin ? That sounds great where can i hear some ? While I'm at it, is anybody aware of any ex pat asian producers making dubstep or something like it ?
i was talking about Jammer, Wiley et al's use of traditional Chinese instrumentation and scales in tunes like Jam Pie, Pick & Mix, Weedman, Scuff Ya Pumas, etc. you didn't hear anyone blaming urban black producers for trying to exoticize their music (kind of understandably, though talk about double standards), even though it seems pretty damn likely. then there were plenty of critical-minded types/fans acting like it was the best thing ever. it sounded great in any case.

the only Chinese grime mc i'm familiar with is Mr. Wong - who is the one you're referring to? are there a lot?

I must confess i'm kind of mystified by this whole thing. Do people really think that some producer sits in his studio and says to himself 'I need something more authentic in here to validate this tune. This eastern thing will do nicely'

Maybe they just like the sample? Maybe they heard someone else do a tune with an eastern sample and thought, yeah that sounds wicked, i'll try something similar.

Maybe it doesn't work sometimes, but then sometimes people write shitty basslines, or get the mixdown wrong, or use a horrible snare. No one is questioning their intent, so what is it about eastern samples that makes them different? It's just a bloody sample.
i agree with you -- but i think it's easier/more likely in a music like dubstep, where every sample stands out, for people to ask these kinds of questions. i don't necessarily think they are very interesting questions; i kind of like that desi sounds or whatever can suddenly percolate through a month's batch of tunes and become accepted as part of dubstep's fabric.

Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
New records

I just picked up two records last night

you can find them here:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Goldspot+Records+International

both on Goldspot records, one by Dj Dinesh, one by High Plains Drifter.

My local dance-music record store (Gramaphone) had them filed under broken beat.

How do these relate to the early dubstep tracks? They sound like precursors to me, but I think at least one of em was made in 2003 or 4. Do these two guys simultaneously produce dubstep and..... this?

What kind of tracks are these? Basic two step? one sounds very 4x4....

Don Rosco

I got the Dinesh one a couple of years ago. As far as I remember, one side is nearly a straight 4/4, and the side I prefer is somewhere between 4/4 and 2 step. It's quite a polite record, but decent enough. It took my local nearly a year and a half to shift the other copy in the shop!

mms

sometimes
I just picked up two records last night

you can find them here:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Goldspot+Records+International

both on Goldspot records, one by Dj Dinesh, one by High Plains Drifter.

My local dance-music record store (Gramaphone) had them filed under broken beat.

How do these relate to the early dubstep tracks? They sound like precursors to me, but I think at least one of em was made in 2003 or 4. Do these two guys simultaneously produce dubstep and..... this?

What kind of tracks are these? Basic two step? one sounds very 4x4....

they are dubstep, high plains drifter is mainly benny ill and other horsepower guys, dinesh had stuff on dubstep allstars 1.

don't reckon there was the broken beat/dubstep/grime break back then, and i think those tracks are also pretty old too. there used to be people like landslide as well as a few mcs down at fwd/

Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
funny you should mention landslide, as i picked up another Hospital record at the same time, and it had a wicked two step track that was pretty dark on it. almost dubsteppy....

but yeah, thanks for the info. im familiar with their work on Tempa and so took the chance on these records. My only real problem with them is the way they are pressed (i think). The volume is very muted (polite?) and the bass lacks any kick at all unless i crank it up on the mixer.

......also,

does this seem a tad overpriced to anyone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30022518929&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

is it really worth that much money to people? (thats like $57)

EDIT: that track ended up goin for $92!!!!

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
it always seemed to me that goldspot was the place where benny ill (high plains drifter / kid deli) and dinesh indulged what i presume is their influence from the other side of uk garage, because their stuff on tempa and turn u on, and indeed the scene surrounding it never seemed to draw on 4x4 so much, instead the jagged rhythms of 2-step or the rolling drums of the breakbeat oriented side of garage. i love these two records, first because i just think theyre sick, but also because theyre so unique (in my collection anyway), the same alien aesthetic and broken, mutating approach that spawned dubstep, but applied to a different base. although the above analysis only really applies to egypt and somewhere i guess. sick tunes tho, and their new material is sounding like the absolute shizzle

as for the big apple 12, i dunno, ive seen things that i'd say are more overpriced, because that is an absolutely incredible ep, and very very rare. and for the trainspotters amongst us it represents the point of origin of someone who i think will be looked back on as one of the best electronic producers of the decade

Last edited:

Immy

which song got you all in to dupstep

the song that got me paying attention and now playing dubstep has to be Skream - Midnight Request Line

Status
Not open for further replies.