Can UK Hip Hop/Grime Blow Up In The States?

echevarian

babylon sister
See its thinking like that makes me not want to ever listen to Mos Def ever again.

And Mos Def got me into rap.

Raw Patrick

“People don't have a problem with conscious rap; they have a problem with conscious beats. If you make some ignorant beats, you can say all the smart shit you want.” – Chris Rock

gumdrops

ah who wants grime to blow up anyway? al this talk about blowing up hasnt done the music or the scene any favours... keep it underground, i say. blowing up on a mainstream pop level didnt do hip hop much good, what makes people think its gonna be a positive thing for grime?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Because....

hint said:
What makes you say that?
Because after Hip Hop became popular and mainstream it became watered down and began to suck. I'd like to see Grime be incorporated into the underground scene in America. Right now, Grime is still evolving and is in essence pure because it hasn't been co opted by outside influences YET. When , Hip Hop was in the same place it was the best that it ever was...until outside entities conspired to make it uniform and commercial (removing b-boys, the DJ, and graf from the scene save for logos and album covers). One.

hint

party record with a siren
Poisonous Dart said:
Because after Hip Hop became popular and mainstream it became watered down and began to suck.

I don't agree.

There were some awful records put out in the early days that aren't mentioned now cos they sucked and were quickly forgotten.

Do you think that, say, Ludacris is more watered down than.... I dunno... Stezo? :confused:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Absolutely!

hint said:
I don't agree.

There were some awful records put out in the early days that aren't mentioned now cos they sucked and were quickly forgotten.

Do you think that, say, Ludacris is more watered down than.... I dunno... Stezo? :confused:

Stezo's Crazy Noise was a classic. Ludacris was TRYING to make every song a single on his albums to get airplay and spins. He worked in the radio industry so he knew what to do. The business changed the music...in many ways for the worse. One.

petergunn

plywood violin
hint said:
I don't agree.

you kinda proved the point opposide to the one you wanted to make with that example... when compared to the heavyweights of his time, Stezo is nothing much... but, playing that record 15 years later, and it's pretty tight... c'mon, first big use of the Skull Snaps... can't front on that... hip hop is def. more watered down now, b/c it's pop music,,, 20 years ago, yes, there were pop hits, like LL, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, but the vast majority of hip hop was people like Stetsasonic or Eric B and Rakim, who were basically unknown to the average mainstream listener...

Cornflake

i loved some of the points being made in here...

i really agree about the stuff like fader mag or these artsy type reads where ppl that generally follow new trends like to read up on isnt the way to get out...and thats how the grime industry is being put over overseas...i personally check it sometimes....but when reading the vice reviews i thought they were far removed from the music totally

i do like it underground, i dont think grime would do well in the mainstream at all....but who knows..i just want it bigger so that they come over here more so i can see more shows...fumin is playing in canada this week but i cant go

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Exactly!!

petergunn said:
you kinda proved the point opposide to the one you wanted to make with that example... when compared to the heavyweights of his time, Stezo is nothing much... but, playing that record 15 years later, and it's pretty tight... c'mon, first big use of the Skull Snaps... can't front on that... hip hop is def. more watered down now, b/c it's pop music,,, 20 years ago, yes, there were pop hits, like LL, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, but the vast majority of hip hop was people like Stetsasonic or Eric B and Rakim, who were basically unknown to the average mainstream listener...

You win a big ass teddy bear for that one!

hint

party record with a siren
petergunn said:
you kinda proved the point opposide to the one you wanted to make with that example... when compared to the heavyweights of his time, Stezo is nothing much... but, playing that record 15 years later, and it's pretty tight...

I didn't say I thought it was bad. I think Stezo and Ludacris are the same thing.

poisonous dart said:
Ludacris was TRYING to make every song a single on his albums to get airplay and spins. He worked in the radio industry so he knew what to do. The business changed the music...in many ways for the worse

... but I suppose Chuck D got Flava Flav on board purely for artistic reasons?

Last edited:

gumdrops

petergunn said:
see Gully, by Crazy Titch...

or the world is crazy also by crazy t or getto's track on the run the road 2 comp or the newham generals song called newham generals... the sung choruses on those tunes sound like theyve been stuck on there just for the sake of it. that said, i do like the sung stuff on the roll deep album, for simple fluffy poppy hip-hop enjoyment.

btw, this thread has really been derailed.