Arctic Monkeys Explosion.

gumdrops

But they are essentially a band of 4 lily allens. With matching ignorant opinions on music outside of their own immediate oeuvre

where did you get that notion from?

what i find weird about the AMs is that so many older geezers seem to like them... kinda takes away from some of the 'youth' and 'this is the sound of now' appeal of them IMO.

i dont necessarily agree that just cos we WANT a beatles for today, we should go and praise any band that looks remotely like they might fit that label. seems a bit desperate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pffft...

And please lets not have anyone from the outside South Yorkshire sticking up for them and saying "that's how they speak in Sheffield". Yes maybe if you're over 80 or something...I come from (and still live in) Sheffield and unlike the Arctic Monkeys actually come from a working class background and I don't. So how come the "Monkeys" the progeny of university educated teachers do.

"I appear to be considerably more authentic than YOW!"

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
where did you get that notion from?

what i find weird about the AMs is that so many older geezers seem to like them... kinda takes away from some of the 'youth' and 'this is the sound of now' appeal of them IMO.

i dont necessarily agree that just cos we WANT a beatles for today, we should go and praise any band that looks remotely like they might fit that label. seems a bit desperate.

Alex has an annoying habit of commenting on various other musicians and how crap they are. Notable recent examples would his insightful remarks on the Hip Hop scene.

viktorvaughn

Jamie: "Even music I don't usually listen to, like hip-hop, is obviously bad at the moment. There is no real hip-hop anymore. Timbaland is a good producer, but he's in every song right now. Come on, there are other producers - and other beats."

gumdrops

Alex has an annoying habit of commenting on various other musicians and how crap they are. Notable recent examples would his insightful remarks on the Hip Hop scene.

from what ive read and heard, they genuinely do like hip hop, british hip hop like braintax too (unbelievably) so i dont look at them like all other snide indie bands poking fun at 'urban' music. although on occasion (like in the new mojo where they say they prefer R&B videos to indie ones, im not sure if theyre taking the piss or what. what did alex say that was so despicable exactly?

Jamie: "Even music I don't usually listen to, like hip-hop, is obviously bad at the moment. There is no real hip-hop anymore. Timbaland is a good producer, but he's in every song right now. Come on, there are other producers - and other beats."

dont see whats so bad about that. not very different from what a million urban music people have been saying for ages.

Last edited:

aleksy

And please lets not have anyone from the outside South Yorkshire sticking up for them and saying "that's how they speak in Sheffield". Yes maybe if you're over 80 or something...I come from (and still live in) Sheffield and unlike the Arctic Monkeys actually come from a working class background and I don't. So how come the "Monkeys" the progeny of university educated teachers do.

Their accents are a bit wierd, and like you say more like an impression of an 80 year old than how young people (with strong accents) speak. The whole provincial indie youth cult is based on victim status and I think these types' indentities depend on imagining they belong to a fictionalised retro-w/c who is oppressed by 'townies' etc. Some AMs went to my college, and some of the wierdest attitudes to class I have ever seen have come mainly from upper-working class indie fans.

gumdrops

dont know why (well er i do obv, i like it) but i cant seem to stop listening to this album. its become like a minor obsession. anyway, its a bit stupid now to read about how they dont like doing all the press, and how theyre not into celebrity and doing all the usual things bands do now when theyre in EVERY FUCKING MAG AND PAPER! and theyre doing MTV specials etc etc etc. not that i mind THAT much, just saying. its also a bit dissapointing theyre on mojo this month. youd think they might have rejected doing that for the dad rock connotations but doesnt seem like anyone cares about that anymore (as someone already said earlier in this thread).

I think like this sometimes

I used to get riled up about dross like the AM's, but I really am apathetic about any sort of "progress" or innovation in popular music now. Fuck it, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things, we've got looming enviromental and economic disasters, huge international conflicts started as social experiments, a completely fucked over underclass, things are looking very bleak. If the kids want to go nuts to a band that sounds like an amped-up version of Shed Seven, leave them to it. I listen to a lot of retro electronic stuff anyway, so who am I to talk?

it's true

*nods head*

They are technically profficient and make good music.

But they are essentially a band of 4 lily allens. With matching ignorant opinions on music outside of their own immediate oeuvre

I laughed at this lol...Sama is correct

and Sick Boy makes a great point as always

nothing more to add really...sorta like AM...a good band...

and that's really there is all to say

if I was smarter I could use a long word to describe what i just did in the sentence above lol

vimothy

yurp
Their accents are a bit wierd, and like you say more like an impression of an 80 year old than how young people (with strong accents) speak. The whole provincial indie youth cult is based on victim status and I think these types' indentities depend on imagining they belong to a fictionalised retro-w/c who is oppressed by 'townies' etc. Some AMs went to my college, and some of the wierdest attitudes to class I have ever seen have come mainly from upper-working class indie fans.

When I lived in Sheff, eveyone at work (production dept of Sheff Star) loved them for the fact that they have sheffield accents. In general I found that most people were proud that a band from sheffield were successful, and that things like Hunter's Bar were getting mentioned in pop songs. I don't remember anyone slagging them off as caricatures.

don_quixote

Trent End
i really like it actually. when theyre not doing shit jingly jangly songs ("fluorescent adolescent") they're excellent. particularly like brainstorm, old yellow bricks and balaclava

aleksy

When I lived in Sheff, eveyone at work (production dept of Sheff Star) loved them for the fact that they have sheffield accents. In general I found that most people were proud that a band from sheffield were successful, and that things like Hunter's Bar were getting mentioned in pop songs. I don't remember anyone slagging them off as caricatures.

Oh yeah I can't think of a band with so much support - the early gigs in village WMCs in Barnsley are myths already. I don't blame them as much as the entire indie teencult, which I think is snobbish and encourages victimhood.

DRMHCP

Unanimous appreciation in Sheffield is hardly something conveyed by a quick look at the poll on sheffieldforum.co.uk and even on the threads on there solely about them...

But whatever it's still derivative shit of the worst kind..the triumph of hype over substance...(fitting in some ways that they displaced as sellers of most first week units the very similar in certain ways Hearsay)

...And hardly worthy successors to the Human League/Heaven 17, ABC, Cabaret Voltaire, Warp Records etc

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
But whatever it's still derivative shit of the worst kind..the triumph of hype over substance...(fitting in some ways that they displaced as sellers of most first week units the very similar in certain ways Hearsay)

...And hardly worthy successors to the Human League/Heaven 17, ABC, Cabaret Voltaire, Warp Records etc

Yawn - everything is derivative if you look at right, and the only thing more boring (to me) than the shitty pop that everyone goes on about as if it's just fallen out of the sky, is self-righteous UGers who harp on about how much better the bands that they like are.

benjybars

village elder.
They're a good band, and he can write a decent song... they just get FAR more hyped than they warrant., but that's not really their fault. simple as that really!

gumdrops

not sure, but the scummy video totally ruined the song for me with its over literalism. the brianstorm one could have been good too, what with the R&B style dancing girls and all that but even that looks a bit ropey and like 3 videos smashed into one.