The New World

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But you make a good point: the temptation for ostentatious list-making can be strong, especially when in so sophisticated a salon as Dissensus.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
More that I don't think most people will see even a very good film more than two or three times. Could be wrong. Compare that to a list of songs, I could probably quite easily list 200 that I've listened to dozens of times.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So maybe dishonesty is the wrong word. But as I said in the other thread, I've seen Tokyo Story, though it was brilliant, but this was years ago, I can't honestly remember much about it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
More that I don't think most people will see even a very good film more than two or three times. Could be wrong. Compare that to a list of songs, I could probably quite easily list 200 that I've listened to dozens of times.
Well this is an interesting point, because I’ve seen Men in Black III probably eight or nine times now, and I really enjoy it, and it probably should be on my favorite 100 - but at the same time, if I had to bring 100 films on a remote island, alone and where ostentation has no motive, I’m not sure I would include it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
So I think a lot of it is just semantics between favorite/best/top/etc 100, and the different implications and constraints they all have.

Many on my 100 list are ones I’ve only seen once, but which made an impact.

sus

Well this is an interesting point, because I’ve seen Men in Black III probably eight or nine times now, and I really enjoy it, and it probably should be on my favorite 100 - but at the same time, if I had to bring 100 films on a remote island, alone and where ostentation has no motive, I’m not sure I would include it.
QFtheArchive

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I love that Stan has Man with a Movie Camera on the top of his list
Normally I thought being forced to watch a film in film class sorta tainted that film, deprived me of discovering it by my own devices, but we saw that one in class and I found it profound. Profound in the sense that when you’re high it’s easier to find things profound, but I was completely sober.

Reactions: sus