J Dilla R.I.P. /(,0_o,)\

gumdrops

Here's where I use Dissensus to educate myself: I'm ashamed to say I don't own any J Dilla material. Tell me how/where to start appreciating his stuff as a "body of work"--I know a few songs here and there but nothing beyond them, unfortunately.

the best dilla stuff is the slum village album fantastic vol 2 (and vol 1 if you can find it) plus the j dilla welcome to detroit album on stones throw and the ruff draft album too (the new stones throw version is the one to get). is also get the tribe called quest album the love movment which is quite underrated IMO and is co produced by dilla. other than that i find him a mostly very erratic mixed bag.

rip but i still think he was underrated by ppl outside the net and overrated by people on the net... the fact so so so many ppl copy his style so blatantly just exacerbates that for me, evryone from poor indie rap producers to broken beat guys - its irritating IMO. plus a lot of what they copy is the ultra softcore blanded out sleepy-time-sedative for-ageing-hip-hoppers who want background rap-less hip hop muzak side of dilla....

really this just goes to show how influential the brotha is/was

JB's influence was just the same - some of the 'childrens' product was good, some bad but just goes to illustrate the power of the man and his music

gumdrops

yeah but i dont think anyone has really done anything particularly good or 'deviant' with his style of drum programming or production style (theyve just copied it) whereas with JB, well, its endless how many things came out of his inventions. honestly i find most of dillas stuff just faux-sophisticated, faux soulful even. easy on the ear isnt the same as soulful. its just easy on the air. dilla made a lot of nice armchair hip hop beats. the guys that copy him tend to make nice pipe and slippers beats too. although you do have the beats like black milk and ppl like that do which are a bit harder, but i just find them too choppy and abrupt and underdeveloped (which is the other thing dilla should be blamed for - a load of guys who dont know how to make proper songs, just sliver-like beats. it was fine for dilla cos there was something kinda charming or endearing and just rough-hued about the way a lot of his beats sounded dashed off but i dont think thats been a good influence on others).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That blog's really good as an intro nomad. Was for me lol, I was aware of him ( stakes is high etc etc plus all the tributes ) but never checked him out proper, or clicked, before last night.

For me the beat/instrumental CDs were ( last night ) just a breath of 'fresh' air, you're right gumdrops, there's a real sloppiness, kinda Stooges looseness, to his stuff which is really hard to do well but it sounds great, almost like demos at points.

uh oh

yeah but i dont think anyone has really done anything particularly good or 'deviant' with his style of drum programming or production style (theyve just copied it) whereas with JB, well, its endless how many things came out of his inventions. honestly i find most of dillas stuff just faux-sophisticated, faux soulful even. easy on the ear isnt the same as soulful. its just easy on the air. dilla made a lot of nice armchair hip hop beats. the guys that copy him tend to make nice pipe and slippers beats too. although you do have the beats like black milk and ppl like that do which are a bit harder, but i just find them too choppy and abrupt and underdeveloped (which is the other thing dilla should be blamed for - a load of guys who dont know how to make proper songs, just sliver-like beats. it was fine for dilla cos there was something kinda charming or endearing and just rough-hued about the way a lot of his beats sounded dashed off but i dont think thats been a good influence on others).

*BE WARNED *

*A LOT OF MADNESS IS CONTAINED IN THIS POST ^^^^*

proper songs? yet were talking about Hip-Hop? sounds like rockism to me

you've haven't heard enough Dilla or you've been listening the wrong way...in terms of too much up here

*taps cranium*

I think that Beat Tape #2 just changed my life...again

thank the Most High for Mr. Yancey..for tru

crackerjack

A small nugget that made me smile

From the John Cale interview in this month's Word:

"If you want to be avant garde you've got to do it in rock'n'roll...You've got to keep the energy. Avant garde as it was...that horse has bolted. Because there's Pharrell and Snoop and they're releasing the Dilla stuff now, basic rhythm tracks that are startling and clear, insulting to technology. It pisses me off that these boys got those ideas and not me. I listen to stuff like that and I'm sitting there stewing."

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
From the John Cale interview in this month's Word:

"If you want to be avant garde you've got to do it in rock'n'roll...You've got to keep the energy. Avant garde as it was...that horse has bolted. Because there's Pharrell and Snoop and they're releasing the Dilla stuff now, basic rhythm tracks that ar4e startliong and clear, insulting to technology. It pisses me off that these boys got those ideas and not me. I listen to stuff like that and I'm sitting there stewing."

That's such a great quote