Recent Jungle Albums

Octopus?

ripley said:
well I'm not on first name (?) basis with him (?) but actually come to think of it the cat in dimmu borgir sounds a bit more raspy and cookie monster's got a bit more rumbly bassy depth.

The classic American Death Metal grunt. There was actually an album from a Polish (?) metal group called Rotting Christ a while back with a lead singer that sounded exactly like Cookie Monster, note-for-note. Talk about living up to the stereotype!

Anyway, sorry for the derailment...

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Octopus? said:
The classic American Death Metal grunt. There was actually an album from a Polish (?) metal group called Rotting Christ a while back with a lead singer that sounded exactly like Cookie Monster, note-for-note. Talk about living up to the stereotype!

Anyway, sorry for the derailment...

I always thought they were Portugese...hmm, I'll have to look that up.

EDIT: Turns out they're Greek. Golly gee.

tate

Brown Sugar
DJ Clever (Brett Cleaver) has mixed the latest CD for Knowledge Mag, out April 27th. The tracklist is as follows:

01. Macc - The Way of the Small Thought (Breakin)
02. Sileni - Another Track (Subvert Central)
03. Angel Zero - Recess (Warm Communications)
04. Sileni - Pressing Buttons (Subtle Audio)
05. Dissident - Pocket World (Gamma Ray)
06. Martyn - Virgo (play:musik)
07. Fracture & Neptune - Our Sound (INP)
08. Outlook & Mutt - First Snow (Forestry Service)
09. Martsman - Roads (Sileni remix) (Exegene)
10. Dak - Nutcase (Counter Intelligence)
11. ASC & Motion - Switchblade (Camino Blue)
12. Sileni - TDL (Graphic remix) (Offshore)
13. Selector Moldy - Yo Baby (Thermal)
14. Electrosoul System - Absolute Zero (Covert Operations)
15. Deep Blue - Open Love (Scale)

The title of the mix is "Unsung Heroes," because Brett chose tracks from lesser known producers and labels (many of which I've banged on about at dissensus before). It's a thrill to see all of them receiving this kind of exposure.

Kuma's press release for Brett's tour in support of the mix includes the following:

"Titled The Unsung Heroes, the mix is a cornucopia of subversive Drum & Bass. The concept was to put together a mix to showcase the artists and labels that are making serious headway on message boards and in bedrooms across the world, but never get heard at Fabric or get play by Andy C. This is the sound of the underground delivered by Clever and brought to you by Knowledge Magazine. In stores at the end of April as part of Knowledge issue 66, if you cant find it, harass your local record shop, newsstand or book shop. Order it direct if need be but do not miss out on this, more than just a mix, it's a statement of the union."

Kuma

The Konspirator
^
Well done for beating me to Dissensus on that one ;)

Yeah, this is a big'un, worth keeping an eye open for, i've had it on heavy rotation since Brett sent into me and it's hot.

Euro crew, be warned, Brett should be touring your way in June.

D

droid

Good to see a couple of (however tenuosly) Dissensus connected labels on there as well.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Tate said:
DJ Clever (Brett Cleaver) has mixed the latest CD for Knowledge Mag, out April 27th. The tracklist is as follows:

01. Macc - The Way of the Small Thought (Breakin)
02. Sileni - Another Track (Subvert Central)
03. Angel Zero - Recess (Warm Communications)
04. Sileni - Pressing Buttons (Subtle Audio)
05. Dissident - Pocket World (Gamma Ray)
06. Martyn - Virgo (play:musik)
07. Fracture & Neptune - Our Sound (INP)
08. Outlook & Mutt - First Snow (Forestry Service)
09. Martsman - Roads (Sileni remix) (Exegene)
10. Dak - Nutcase (Counter Intelligence)
11. ASC & Motion - Switchblade (Camino Blue)
12. Sileni - TDL (Graphic remix) (Offshore)
13. Selector Moldy - Yo Baby (Thermal)
14. Electrosoul System - Absolute Zero (Covert Operations)
15. Deep Blue - Open Love (Scale)

The title of the mix is "Unsung Heroes," because Brett chose tracks from lesser known producers and labels (many of which I've banged on about at dissensus before). It's a thrill to see all of them receiving this kind of exposure.

Kuma's press release for Brett's tour in support of the mix includes the following:

"Titled The Unsung Heroes, the mix is a cornucopia of subversive Drum & Bass. The concept was to put together a mix to showcase the artists and labels that are making serious headway on message boards and in bedrooms across the world, but never get heard at Fabric or get play by Andy C. This is the sound of the underground delivered by Clever and brought to you by Knowledge Magazine. In stores at the end of April as part of Knowledge issue 66, if you cant find it, harass your local record shop, newsstand or book shop. Order it direct if need be but do not miss out on this, more than just a mix, it's a statement of the union."

Would be great to have a dedicated thread about this when it comes out - a world class tracklist.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
*digs up old post*
dubplatestyle said:
Sileni, Equinox, and 0=0 ALL have albums scheduled on Planet Mu apparently this year. (If Jason ever finishes, of course. ;) )
How good would it be if these a) really happened and b) even half fulfilled their promise. I know dnb isn't an album oriented style and 12s are the lifeblood of the scene and so on, but a lot of the time it seems that albums = exposure, and hopefully exposure for these three = a few more people stopping moaning about how drum and bass is all coked up clownstep, seeing that there is an alternative, and actually doing something about it.

I can dream...

D

droid

Slothrop said:
*digs up old post*

How good would it be if these a) really happened and b) even half fulfilled their promise. I know dnb isn't an album oriented style and 12s are the lifeblood of the scene and so on, but a lot of the time it seems that albums = exposure, and hopefully exposure for these three = a few more people stopping moaning about how drum and bass is all coked up clownstep, seeing that there is an alternative, and actually doing something about it.

I can dream...

Well I can answer the first part.

Mike P has never welched on an LP once its been announced (except for the 2nd Jega LP - and that was down to $)

http://www.planet-mu.com

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
droid said:
Well I can answer the first part.

Mike P has never welched on an LP once its been announced (except for the 2nd Jega LP - and that was down to $)
Yeah, but even the Planet Mu website is pretty cagey about whether anything's happening...

D

droid

Slothrop said:
Yeah, but even the Planet Mu website is pretty cagey about whether anything's happening...

Well he just put out the breakage EP, has done 3 Bizzy B double packs, and 2 triple Remarc LPs, plus the man loves his jungle - so i dont think any potential problems will be down to committment at his end.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
droid said:
Well he just put out the breakage EP, has done 3 Bizzy B double packs, and 2 triple Remarc LPs, plus the man loves his jungle - so i dont think any potential problems will be down to committment at his end.
It was the producers' end that I was worried about, tbh. But as I say, I live in hope.

tate

Brown Sugar
droid said:

The Breakage is just a 12" isn't it, "Drowning" with "9th Hand" on the flip? Tis a good one, mine's on order. The Equinox Acid Rain VIP is now out on Planet Mu as well, with Breakage's rmx. Looking forward to Sileni's "Cold Sweat" on April 17th and enjoying Boxcutter's Tauhid to a degree. Mr. Pardinas is doing good work indeed.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
The Breakage is just a 12" isn't it, "Drowning" with "9th Hand" on the flip? Tis a good one, mine's on order. The Equinox Acid Rain VIP is now out on Planet Mu as well, with Breakage's rmx. Looking forward to Sileni's "Cold Sweat" on April 17th and enjoying Boxcutter's Tauhid immensely. Mr. Pardinas is doing good work indeed.

breakage is a phenomenal 12 " also an equinox double pack too is crazy mashed up stuff.
it's good to see things crossing over, leave all the idm snobs in the swamps

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
mms said:
breakage is a phenomenal 12 " also an equinox double pack too is crazy mashed up stuff.
it's good to see things crossing over, leave all the idm snobs in the swamps
Another 'wouldn't it be nice if.'

WIBNI being made increasingly redundant by dnb, techno and dubstep gave the IDM scene the kick up the arse it desperately needs, causing a new wave of IDM that nicks the best bits of all of them, mixes in a whole lot of other stuff and then makes it weirder. It'd make a nice change from just rewriting Chiastic Slide and claiming that that constitutes progress.

mms

sometimes
Slothrop said:
Another 'wouldn't it be nice if.'

WIBNI being made increasingly redundant by dnb, techno and dubstep gave the IDM scene the kick up the arse it desperately needs, causing a new wave of IDM that nicks the best bits of all of them, mixes in a whole lot of other stuff and then makes it weirder. It'd make a nice change from just rewriting Chiastic Slide and claiming that that constitutes progress.

that grim dubs stuff is a bit like that but it's not really very good imo.