Music Mags

jd_

What happened to Scratch? Did any of you guys read it? I bought a few issues and liked it but then I stopped seeing it around and figured it folded. Did it?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the last copy of scratch i bought was a couple of months ago so i think it's still around. i like it actually

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
good call on Scratch, last one I got was the RZA / Cuban Link 2 cover one. Dunno if it folded yet, that issue was recently. It tries - got every issue! - but too thin and it's an awkward line, between Future Music and The Source, I'd hate to edit it. I'd imagine the arguments about their demographic are endless. I'd like it to be more in depth, myself, if you're reading, Scratch editors.

AshRa

mms said:
boy you don't read mags do ya, sleaze nation closed about 2 n' half years ago :)

Oops sorry, I meant Dazed & Confused. I forgot to say that Other Music's weekly e-mail is probably my favourite read on the net btw.

ambrose

blunt said:
Yeah, but imagine if they actually had something interesting to say ;)

Besides, Tiga in OMM - Idon'tthinksosomehow...

(Cue someone posting a scan of their Tiga cover story)

even worse than OMM, it got in the nationals;

tiga -sexor

shurely tiga is about as un-alternative as electrohouse comes, apart from mylo? remember that little tune called er "sunglasses at night"?

jd_

I'm glad to hear Scratch is still around. I imagine it's a bit too much like Guitar world or something for most people, but I didn't really know very much about how hip hop producers actually approached things so I found it interesting. I mean I was surprised for instance how much of it is played by live bands, mostly just recreating samples so the rights are cheaper, but still, I had no idea and it seems like that's totally common. At least among the big name guys.

G

grosun

jd_ said:
I mean I was surprised for instance how much of it is played by live bands, mostly just recreating samples so the rights are cheaper, but still, I had no idea and it seems like that's totally common. At least among the big name guys.

... hence why a lot of conventional hiphop beats are lamer than they were when sampling was freer & easier. A bunch of studio musicians are rarely as tight as proper funk bands who were touring & playing together all the time. Plus re-playing something, trying to reproduce it, is less likely to generate that magic "spark" than playing something for it's own sake. Loses the magic of sampling, imo.

Fucking copyright arses.

/derail

ambrose

hey grosun hows it going?

long time no hear....

er better say something pertinent about music magaznies so i was surprised to pick up a new grime one at the whitechapel thing which was called er.... something or other but was run by someone who was obviously someone estabslihed in the scene, and the besrt feature was filling up pages with just images of grimes envrions - street signs from acton, bow, shop fronts, buildings etc. with no comment or explanation save something like "these are the streets" or something

stelfox

Beast of Burden
pl;eased to report that scratch is alive and kicking, with a great feature on mannie fresh, juvenile and the whole cash money debacle and another really sad, heart-tugging story about j-swift, the pharcyde's former producer's battle against crack addiction. it's a hot issue this months and the webiste is available at scratchmagazine.com

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I really like the idea of a hip-hop mag from the producers' perspective(s). It'd surely be a very different story from what you normally get...

Last week I bought an issue of Fader... can't imagine buying another one, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy bits and pieces. I think it's the first music mag I've bought it 5 years? Except for buying things because I'm in them. Haha, I'm a loser.

alo

I'm just gonna bang this out while I think about it even though its not really related to the last parts of this thread. (I won't be upset if no one replies!)

On other parts of the board theres been some talk (some on my part) of the demise of the ol' NME as a credible journalistic/critical soundboard, instead, hardening via its reputation into a stumbling block in the interface between the alternate and mainstream music worlds.

Just reading The Last Party by John Harris, (might put up a thread about it next week) and quite an obvious point is made about the general state of rock journalism toward its climax. In that, as Britpop morphed the anti-mainstream, rarefied climate of indie into a pop explosion, there became less and less reason to talk about it in critical terms. Especially as the tunes were leap frogging the weeklies straight into the daytime radio laps of Moyles/ Evans et al. In the celebration of the Britpop moment, the NME began to be merely more than cheerleaders, and have never really recovered since. To some extent, this unquestioning style has seeped into music journalism in general. Witness the witless rise of music coverage in the Sunday Supplements. The reason why Vice is such a hit is because it actually dares to be rude and objectionable about people/music acts. (Although its snidey obnoxiousness for obnoxiousness' sake is a different reason not to read it.)

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Has anyone read this magazine?

http://www.globalrhythm.net/

Im contemplating a subscription, but am not sure if its got the info and stories that i want.

Im currently looking into rhythm and how different cultures influenced the creation of different rhythm structures. I just recently decided that this interests me more than anything else right now, and so have begun the research process on the internet (where else?).

Any other suggestions?