METAL! Discuss

vimothy

yurp
what's the deal with douglas p./death in june? don't know too much about him/them, just that they seem to bother a lot of people. is it the same sort of problem we've been discussing here?

I guess so, yes, but Douglas P is a bit more ambiguous -- not something that you couold ever accuse Varg Vikernes of being!

In this case the beliefs and music aren't seperable, it's communicative of the puny misanthropy of the extreme "pagan" right wing, it isn't great heavy metal. Varg vikernes is primarily known for his sociopathic views and acts. they have made him totemic to some and inform his music. the music does not transcend them... it doesn't even try to!
although i suppose that may be what he's attempting with the whole ambient "direction"...i don't deny him his "voice" but when i see a goth in burzum t shirt it annoys me- just what they're aiming for of course

That's what Vikernes wants you to think. I don't believe it, however. I can listen to Burzum without becoming a Nazi, or even partaking in Nazism in any way. In the same way, I can read Mein Kampf or Baathist literature without becoming a Nazi, and I can read The Cantos without becoming a fascist (fascism -- in the aesthetic sense -- is much more central to Pound's work than Aryan suprememcy is to Vikernes' three-chords-and-some-tortured-screaming oeuvre). The best Burzum (i.e. the early BM, before he went all Tangerine Dream) is merely generic fluff, in that it's garage rock made by a know-nothing, teenage, hate-filled, pseudo-radical loser -- like so much else. And it is great heavy metal.

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Couple of points regarding Burzum:
1.If you buy his stuff he won't see a penny of the money, since he still owes hundreds of thousands to the churches he burned.
2.He didn't start spouting the Nazi shit until well after he recorded his best work, the lyrics are more Tolkein-based than anything.

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to recommend Graveland or Ravendark, though...

tryptych

waiting for a time
As a total metal novice, I've been really enjoying these recently:

High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
Wraiths - Oriflamme (this is amazingly ace, better than SUNN0)) I reckon)

I
That's what Vikernes wants you to think. I don't believe it, however. I can listen to Burzum without becoming a Nazi.
2.He didn't start spouting the Nazi shit until well after he recorded his best work, the lyrics are more Tolkein-based than anything.

Varg isn't a nazi. he's one of those pagan correspondence course in odinism racial purity dudes, hence the church burnings. and yes, i am aware he has disavowed his "best work" along with the rest of this thread as "nigger music" and that it contains nothing offensive lyrically...however what i'm objecting to is the idea that varg should be a subject of the "ezra pound defence", which handily absolves artists and consumers of art of any responsibility. i don't buy it. burzum is known as i have said due to varg vikernes (or quisling :slanted:) sociopathic views and acts which include the murder he is currently imprisoned for. why pretend otherwise? his music would have reached only a tiny audience if not for his personal notoriety and that IS the context you are listening to his trashy misanthropic bedroom metal in. there's an undeiable element of prurient interest. it's not like i don't enjoy crap myself- i've been a lifelong fan of exploitation films for example. but when i watch them i'm aware of what i'm doing- rolling around in the cultural sewer and enjoying it

the po-faced literality of the norweigan black metal scene (whose various idiotic petty crimes were at least partly committed in the name of aesthetic credibility) contrasts interestingly with your generously open and liberal appreciation of their work. i mean varg and his pals were bitterly disappointed when they discovered venom were a bunch of pissed geordies rather than emissaries of samael or whatever

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fun Venom fact for you: when their early single In League With Satan came out, the first few thousand pressings misspelled the title as In League With Stan.

ALL HAIL STAN!!! \m/_ :mad: _\m/

:D

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that honour might actually go to Varghkoghargasmal, but I could be wrong...

How do you know that's not *exactly* how it's meant to be spelled?

(If you have a degree in Orcish please accept my humblest apologies...)

mms

sometimes
electric wizard - dopethrone - amazing i'm listening to that now.

total sludge joy.

my girlfriend has just shut the door moodily.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I fell in love with music as a child with Michael Jackson (who better?) and went straight to metal before hooking up with dance and hiphop in my late teens.

Faith No More are about the only band I go back to and Patton does some interesting stuff now. My interest has been reignited recently with Earth, Om, Sunn0))) and the current crop of 'avant-metal' but Skid Row can stay in the attic.

vimothy

yurp
I fell in love with music as a child with Michael Jackson (who better?) and went straight to metal before hooking up with dance and hiphop in my late teens.

Faith No More are about the only band I go back to and Patton does some interesting stuff now. My interest has been reignited recently with Earth, Om, Sunn0))) and the current crop of 'avant-metal' but Skid Row can stay in the attic.

Have you ever heard Bongripper?

STN

sou'wester
I'm fed up of the slow stuff (though that Burning Witch reissue is deep and amazing - better than a lot of Sunn O))) in my opinion) and have this real urge to listen to Extreme Noise Terror for some reason.

tom pr

This topic being bumped up the page is well timed: been right into Torche's Meanderthal - new record on hydra head. probably suffers from the same problem as Mastodon's Leviathan where the songs are very good but sound a bit samey once you've heard ten in a row, possibly cuz of the vocalist, but they're really good, snappy quick metal songs. really looking forward to seeing where they go from this.

Also discovered Kylesa. They remind me a bit of Tool at times, plus John Baizley from Baroness does some of their art (same with Torche) and he's amazing. The Justin Broadrick and Jarboe full length is excellent without going anywhere you wouldnt expect it to. Been listening to Asbestos Death, who I think some of the dudes from Sleep did before Sleep, or something...

Octopus?

Metal is still doing nicely. Recent highlights just from the past week's rotation:

Leviathan "Massive Conspiracy Against All Life" (Moribund Records) (so incredibly good)
Wrath of the Weak "Alogon" (Profound Lore)
Arsis "We Are The Nightmare" (Nuclear Blast)
Brain Drill "Apocalyptic Feasting" (Metal Blade)
Korpiklaani "Korven Kuningas" (Nuclear Blast)

First two are dirgey Black Metal goodness (Leviathan is easily album of the year so far), Arsis and Brain Drill are tech-Death goodies with strong songwriting and Korpiklaani is amazing Finnish oompah folk Death.

Other stuff to check out:

Black Cobra "Bestial" (At A Loss)
Brown Jenkins "Angel Eyes" (Moribund)
Genghis Tron "Board Up The House" (Relapse)
Plague Bringer "Life Songs in a Land of Death" (He Who Corrupts Inc.)
Torche "Meanderthal" (Hydra Head)

And upcoming:

Cephalic Carnage "Conforming To Abnormality" (Relapse Records)
Deicide "Till Death Do Us Part" (Earache)
Profanatica "Profanatitas De Domonatia" (Hells Headbangers)
Ufomammut "Idolum" (Supernatural)

There are plenty of artists pushing the genre forward that aren't specifically concerned with droney-doomscapes, but they aren't covered nearly as much in the indie publications that have taken such a liking to Sunn0))) and their ilk. The above is completely random, and I've probably missed some quality brain-melters.

And if anybody has yet to hear Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters" album on Southern Lord...whoa boy, are you in for a treat.

Octopus?

This topic being bumped up the page is well timed: been right into Torche's Meanderthal - new record on hydra head. probably suffers from the same problem as Mastodon's Leviathan where the songs are very good but sound a bit samey once you've heard ten in a row, possibly cuz of the vocalist, but they're really good, snappy quick metal songs. really looking forward to seeing where they go from this.

Ah, you beat me to it! How is that Asbestosdeath? I'm a huge Sleep and OM fan but have yet to hear it...

tom pr

And if anybody has yet to hear Wolves in the Throne Room's "Two Hunters" album on Southern Lord...whoa boy, are you in for a treat.
Keep meaning to! my friend played me a song from it and it blew me away; one of the best things i'd heard in ages. I just haven't got around to getting the record...

The Asbestosdeath I downloaded ages ago after seeing it in rough trade on vinyl but not being sure if I wanted it, and then finally listened to at about eight this morning after barely sleeping, so my recollection isnt all that. It's something like four tracks across sixteen minutes, and not nearly as heavy as i expected. it sounded good though.

Bought Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital by Axis of Perdition the other day, remembered hearing it ages ago and being blown away. I had it going in the car on the way to my mate's and it was like driving a black cloud or something...