Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alo

I liked endtroducing and I'm not bothered if other people do too. This board can get way too underground-for-underground's-sake sometimes

Yeah, i would hope that dissensus members, given their usually superb critical faculties, wouldn't stoop so low as to criticise a record because its popular with students and people who aren't into 'real hiphop'...
As far as i remember, it took about 3 years before it was popularised with that demographic anyway.

I would in fact argue that ''Endtroducing is an incredibly over rated record' is the bigger cliche, and i'm not sure i agree with it.

I remember thinking it was pretty impetrenable as a 17 year old yout' when it came out. It was only when waiting for the paranoia to grip when waiting in the dirty light of the bus station in Notts, and riding the overcrowded bus out of the city in the dark, in the rain, that it made sense. (One earphone on the blink, guaranteed)
It was only later that the 'pivotal album' whisper became a unavoidable, annoying, chorus, and everybody badly tryed to copy him. But, hey, how many dickheads pipe up doesn't affect its impact, and you also can't blame him for monstrosities like Groove Armada, just as you can't blame Hendrix for Van Halen, Nirvana for Nickelback, The Specials for The Ordinary Boys... etc etc
(Although there is a case pending for mo' Wax, including its impact on Hiphop, Graphic Design students and camo)

The Private Press was pure dog shit. Lazy. Sounded like moments of it should have been put out by Skint or Wall Of Sound for fucks sake.

squibl

SIZZLE said:
I liked endtroducing and I'm not bothered if other people do too. This board can get way too underground-for-underground's-sake sometimes.

And that Shadow with Turf Talk and Keak is STIFF.

I honestly couldnt feel Endtroducing anywhere like I felt "swan lake", "in/flux", "lost & found", "the wreckoning" remix, "zimbabwe legit", i genuinely loved those records, i knew them inside out, i was really dissapointed by his album. His earlier stuff was so much more ghostly, heavier.. shadow in the late nineties had was polished, proggy, and predictable. There are some nice moments, but that record has so many flaws to me..the 'flashy' drum edits (quite badly programmed), the cheesy metal riff, the cringing attempt at dnb beats

To me,"Cold Vein / Oxstrumentals" simply blows either shadow album out the water

i can get down to shit like snoop dogg, r kelly, lil jon... ive not interest in being 'underground'.

incidentally.. I think the Portishead debut is underrated nowadays. (its not coffee table, its fucking darkside)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Sorry. Looks like I was wrong, thankfully. Someone else posted a rather genuine looking news report on another website. Sorry about that.

mms

sometimes
squibl said:

incidentally.. I think the Portishead debut is underrated nowadays. (its not coffee table, its fucking darkside)

the second album totally destroyed any notion of beign easy coffee table.. sounds some spooked out sabbath shit, really menstrual heavy stuff.

i don't know where this assumption that cossoem people on this board don't like entroducing that we're suddenly too underground for school and all that shit or a called him a sellout etc cos no one has actually said that at any time, it's pure projection.

hate to derail any banter about portishead, but the pharcyde are playing this weekend nearish where i live. are they worth checking out? i'm interested to know what people think.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Nah, saw them in their reincarnation a few years back and found them pretty boring. Actually, now I put my mind to it, that was 2001.. but basically it was just a sort of greatest hits package with most of the original MCs missing.

mms

sometimes
pokinatcha said:
hate to derail any banter about portishead, but the pharcyde are playing this weekend nearish where i live. are they worth checking out? i'm interested to know what people think.

sadly i agree with michael a sad demise - their last album was just depressing and totally just about weed, a real shame.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Yeah, huge shame what's happened to The Pharcyde. They're pretty dull now, but they were so great in their day and "Yo Mama" is still one of my favourite rap records of all time.

Anyone here heard Michael Watts' Swishahouse remix of Pimp C's Pimpalation? He absolutely fucking wrecks it. For my money it's probably the best Screwed & Chopped edit of a whole entire album ever.

Also really loving Trae's Restless. Swang feat. Fat Pat, H.A.W.K and Pimp C just sounds desperately, tear-to-the-eye sad now, though.

Last edited:

squibl

I read the Pharcyde were big into psychedelics during their first album. Maybe when they stopped tripping, they stopped making good records. The same could be said for Del the Funky Homosapien and Ghostface Killa, who both lost their sparkle when they stopped doing acid.

Probably a gross over-simplification, i know.

mms

sometimes
squibl said:
I read the Pharcyde were big into psychedelics during their first album. Maybe when they stopped tripping, they stopped making good records. The same could be said for Del the Funky Homosapien and Ghostface Killa, who both lost their sparkle when they stopped doing acid.

they lost their best mcees and producers i think - i personally prefer the second lp though (again)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Are YOU on Acid?

squibl said:

Actually, the Pharcyde were at their best when J Swift (who has a meth/dust/crack addict) did their production...they left him and did "Labcabincalifornia" with different producers. Del never stopped being dope or making great material (I Wish My Brother George Was Here, No Need For Alarm, Deltron 3030, Both Sides Of The Brain, etc.) (EVER) and Ghostface Killah has made nothing but classic material (Iron Man, Supreme Clientele, Bulletproof Wallets (even though sample issues prevented 6 songs from making the final cut) and Fishscale)...what emcee is BETTER while doing hallucinogens? Tame One and Cage where both dope while doing PCP but Cage quit it and made an EXCELLENT album (Hell's Winter) and Tame One will have to quit soon because his health is deteriorating....you clearly know NOTHING about hip hop to make those claims that getting off of psychedelics made them fall off...that's only in YOUR eyes.....Sheesh! One.

gumdrops

this:

Poisonous Dart said:
Actually, the Pharcyde were at their best when J Swift (who has a meth/dust/crack addict) did their production...

kinda contradicts this:

Poisonous Dart said:
you clearly know NOTHING about hip hop to make those claims that getting off of psychedelics made them fall off...that's only in YOUR eyes.....Sheesh! One.

labcabin was a good album but it wasnt anything compared to the first pharcyde album. they needed j swift like de la needed prince paul.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
There was a great story about J-Swift in a recent issue of Scratch magazine. Poor dude. He really fucked up his life and was one hell of a talent. That TV show that he was involved in sounded pretty dreadful, too, and didn't exactly appear to help him or be in his best interests.

hint

party record with a siren
Yeah - I saw some clips online and there were some shocking scenes.

The director encouraging him to take another hit because the lighting wasn't right when they tried to film the the first one... disgusting.

squibl

Poisonous Dart said:
Del never stopped being dope or making great material (EVER) and Ghostface Killah has made nothing but classic material ....you clearly know NOTHING about hip hop to make those claims that getting off of psychedelics made them fall off...that's only in YOUR eyes.....Sheesh!

i wasn't making a blanket statement that all mcs are / would be better on drugs. That would be so crass. Just a casual observation, which i even discredited myself, at the end of the post. As far as Im aware, Pharcyde kicked acid after Labcabin, Ghostface stopped after Bulletproof, and, Del stopped after NNFA. Their wild creativity detoriated at the same times. It's just a thought.

Whatver the reasons, something profound happened to Del. His first two albums.. he was such a phenomenonally strange flow, so elastic, completely unpredictable, and dude had so much charisma, so different to anyone else.. and then came this dreadful stiffening in his flow, repeated patterns on every line, bad punchlines, I find his content utterly unegaging now, embarresing sometimes. And before he engaged with mainstream rap, with the ice cube connection, and made an impact, now he seems happy being relevant only to undie backpackers. Thats just my honest reaction.

Ghostface's new shit is kinda flat compared to Supreme, Ironman. But he's still got fire, I think he always will.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
could someone give me some access points for buying US hip hop inc crunk and hyphy. what is their 'rhythm division' equivalent?

mms

sometimes
Blackdown said:
could someone give me some access points for buying US hip hop inc crunk and hyphy. what is their 'rhythm division' equivalent?

juno carry some vinyl and amazon do import cds etc - but apart from that it's imports from the us on ebay for me to try and pick that stuff up.
someone else might be able to tell you different though.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Blackdown said:

there really aren't many places to buy hyphy, especialy if you want vinyl. it's almost entirely cd-based. i picked up a couple of good bootleg 12s (6 tracks each) on ebay a couple of weeks back. generally ebay is a really good bet. cd universe is also great for artist albums and it carries most of the mixtapes you're likely to want, too. shipping costs are an absolute bastard, though, so even though i'd like to buy more i end up downloading at least 75% of the shit i want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.