Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Ripping off unprotected beats from up and coming producers is a regular practice (Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland) but it doesn't happen often where they run across something nice enought to jack. He gets paid, the dude goes away and shuts up about it.

Do you know of any known cases?

N

nomadologist

Poisonous Dart: I'm late on the uptake with this, but your blog is great. If you don't already work in PR or A&R, you should--you have an eagle eye for what's out there and somehow can wade through it all and point out the relevant stuff.

Really liked that list of top films that influenced hip-hop you posted last week. I was kinda surprised to see Style Wars on there, just because I wasn't sure if it's considered accurate by the earlier graffiti artists themselves. I'd love to read anything you'd have to say about tagging, if you ever have time. Maybe a list of the best books about it? :D

shudder

Looks like podcasts will be technically illegal in Canada if our DMCA-copycat act passes. Lock your doors.

Podcasts are already kinda illegal here; at least, it's really hard/impossible to license a lot of music for podcasting, which is why the CBC podcasts have always been so spare compared the NPR offerings. They have to sift through each episode and take out all copyrighted music, since they can't license it! I think the new act might help that sort of podcasting, by making such licensing easier, but will kill blogariddims-style podcasting... Although I haven't really been following all this.

claphands

Poorly-known member
Did you guys see the Atlanta local news report? "No guns or weapons were found, but there could have been. I just want to make that clear"

N

nomadologist

for some reason i get this weird feeling they weren't actually looking for pirated music or pirating software. it's just easier to get a warrant for insignificant bullshit when you have no probable cause or any real legal grounds to search property. and they must have really had nothing on these guys to resort to such shady tactics, because i doubt it'd be hard to find a judge in Georgia who wasn't too scrupulous to bend the rules to get at some thugged-out ganstas.

kinda like "tax evasion" charges...

shudder

Did you guys see the Atlanta local news report? "No guns or weapons were found, but there could have been. I just want to make that clear"

awful. and the news report didn't even explain that these were MIXTAPES, not PIRATED ALBUMS!!!!!!

tom pr

The Mix Unit is currently undergoing an effort to reorganize our website and will be making some positive changes in the near future.

We are still 100% in support of the artists, DJs and fans that have formed this cornerstone of hip-hop. We do not support bootlegging or music pirating, and have always worked with artists and DJs to properly promote their music and will continue to do so.

We will continue to remain your #1 source for urban DVDs, fashion and albums. Please check back often as we upgrade our website.

As always, thank you for your continued support of MixUnit.com.
Note the penultimate paragraph: no mention of mixtapes.

This could be fucking terrible.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
yEP...

Poisonous Dart: I'm late on the uptake with this, but your blog is great. If you don't already work in PR or A&R, you should--you have an eagle eye for what's out there and somehow can wade through it all and point out the relevant stuff.

Really liked that list of top films that influenced hip-hop you posted last week. I was kinda surprised to see Style Wars on there, just because I wasn't sure if it's considered accurate by the earlier graffiti artists themselves. I'd love to read anything you'd have to say about tagging, if you ever have time. Maybe a list of the best books about it? :D

Style Wars is THE film that most legendary graf artists endorse as being the greatest. I'll post an entire blog about graf on my blogsite next month and I'll come back and post some books about graf here:

Subway Art
Spraycan Art
Style: Writing From The Underground
Getting Over
The Art Of Getting Up
Dondi: Style Master General
Graffito
Hip Hop Files 1979-1984

That's good to start...there are A LOT more. As for the arrests of DJ Drama and Don Cannon, their trying to shake them down for info because what they're doing isn't illegal. They are paid and commisioned to make mixtapes by labels and artists! Fox News and other mainstream media can't grasp the concept of a mixtape! Fuck 'em if they don't do the research but claim to be journalists!

In other news, the cats at Oh Word! (one of the biggest and most well known hip hop blogsites) used my list of 50 Slept On Hip Hop Videos and even posted links to most of them. Check it out here:

http://www.ohword.com/blog/590/poisonous-paragraphs-50-slept-on-hip-hop-videos

Also don't forget to visit my improved blogsite, here:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

Last edited:
xactly

page 6 is where it deserves to be! theres not much to report really is there...

I think it says a lot...saying that it is quiet time in the industry

Lil' Wayne is extremely bitchmade man!

also PD calm down re: runaway love - do you wanna hear a mainstream track with some sense or not?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Huh?

page 6 is where it deserves to be! theres not much to report really is there...

In the world of hip hop shit happens DAILY and there is always something to post about (hence AllHipHop, Undergroundhiphop, Hiphopsite, HipHopgame, etc). Like I said before..if I didn't post here it would be on page 6. Considering that Sean Price- Jesus Price Superstar and RZA's Afro Samurai Soundtrack both drop this Tuesday, I guess there is NOTHING to report...not like there aren't 25 new joints that hit the net between Monday and today that deserve mention. *rolls eyes*

Check my blog out @ http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Kinda

I think it says a lot...saying that it is quiet time in the industry

Lil' Wayne is extremely bitchmade man!

also PD calm down re: runaway love - do you wanna hear a mainstream track with some sense or not?

Yeah, provided it's original and NOT contrived..."Runaway Love" happens to be both. One.

gumdrops

In the world of hip hop shit happens DAILY and there is always something to post about (hence AllHipHop, Undergroundhiphop, Hiphopsite, HipHopgame, etc). Like I said before..if I didn't post here it would be on page 6. Considering that Sean Price- Jesus Price Superstar and RZA's Afro Samurai Soundtrack both drop this Tuesday, I guess there is NOTHING to report...not like there aren't 25 new joints that hit the net between Monday and today that deserve mention. *rolls eyes*

Check my blog out @ http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

PD, of course SOMETHING happens daily in hip hop, the question is does anyone give a reasonably large shit about that something? im going to say no, by and large, as far as whats happening right now. and rza cant score a film to save his life (i liked one or two tracks on ghost dog but most of that was just bog standard, monotonous loops that i could have made myself)... god knows how he got the credit for kill bill, all eh did in actuality was sample sound effects from old kung fu flicks and give them to tarantinos foley sounds dept to use!

and tactics, yep, lil wayne is super-bitch made lol. what a lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.