richie hawtin CD @ Mixmag

Tim F

Ha ha at least Luciano has been doing this for a bit c.f. their other darling Loco Dice!

To be fair if we're going to talk about a "minimal explosion" (and Mixmag certainly want to) you couldn't really choose an artist who was more er representative while being in no way generic than Luciano. Villalobos is on his own tip and is frequently undanceable. Luciano's got the reduced sonic palette, the trippy rhythms, the understated chill slightly trancy melodies, the all-important multicultural heritage...

D

droid

Tim F said:
Is J Magic also Dexxtrous/Dextrous as in "Hot Flame", or is that someone else? I love that tune.

That is an amazing tune... the Janet Jackson sample, the Dirtsman vocal: "Hot this year...." picked up the original version of this on his LP 'Acid' a while back.

Definitely not J Majik though - waaaay too roughneck! Dextrous with one X is (I assume) the difference.

ambrose

Tim - right on both counts. weird how mixmag have to find "the acceptable face of...." for their readers. loco dice has the dc10 thing too. seems like dc10 (whatever that is) is just full on "minimal" now, some dude called clive henry was doing the rounds, played a pretty good set when i saw him fill in for matt john.
does this mean all thsoe girls who dj in bikinis etc are gonna start hammering m_nus tunes??

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Don Rosco said:
There was another Dextrous that used the name consistently. Released on that label with the lion's head - Riddim Track, was it? Dunno if he did Hot Flame, but if it was Dextrous, it was probably him.
The Dextrous I'm t'inking of did that track "Heavenly Body", which was as close as Jungle ever came to emulating Burt Bacharach, and is one of my favorites from the golden era of drum n' bass (93-95)...

bassnation

the abyss
ambrose said:
does this mean all thsoe girls who dj in bikinis etc are gonna start hammering m_nus tunes??

its been going on for ages - more of a crossover with cheesy dancefloors than you might think.

a few years back i was out for a mates birthday and (big disclaimer, not my choice of club) we saw judge jules play in bristol - was shocked to hear him play minimal techno along with all the trance, hard house etc. seemed to go down well with the bikini massive, put it that way.