Long Shadows - my first avant-classical mix

Rambler

Awanturnik
This is the first mix I've done, and it's an attempt at mixing with predominantly avant classical tunes (there's also some 90s shoegaze just to break it up a bit). The links are YSI, but I'll re-up if there's a demand after they expire. Props to Droid and Slug, who's Schwantology mix from a while back was a big inspiration.

More info on the blog .

Long Shadows - avant-classical mix by Rambler

1. Meredith Monk - Long Shadows 1
2. György Ligeti - Cello Concerto, 1st mvt
3. Terry Riley - ??? (track 4 from La secret de la vie)
4. Alvin Lucier - I am Sitting in a Room
5. Ride - Nowhere
6. Gerard Grisey - Partiels
7. Chas Smith - October '68
8. György Kurtág - Stele, 3rd mvt
9. Arvo Pärt - Solfeggio
10. Arne Nordheim - Solitaire
11. Gabriel Prokofiev - String Quartet no.1 (Max de Wardener remix)
12. Slowdive - Souvlaki Space Station
13. Dead Voices on Air - Funfundsiebzig
14. Dave Seidel - Sublimation
15. Morton Feldman and John Cage in conversation
16. Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel
17. Curve - Hung Up
18. Meredith Monk - Long Shadows 2

mp3 | ogg

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Thanks for this - am currnetly downloding it - lots of stuff i recognise and a few totally new names - very interesting.

facing north is one of my favourite pieces of music - had never checked the track titles til now

Maybe it will even make me forget the huge cast on my leg for half an hour!!

Last edited:
D

droid

xyxthumbs.gif

Rambler

Awanturnik
Edited so the ogg link should work properly...

Thanks for the postive feedback. Hope it does the trick Jenks!

perplexis

Please No Morris Dancing
WOW!
I'm in love with this mix :eek:
I really like the way Ride (?) came out of nowhere...
Making working on a beautiful day bearable.
Thanks!

soundslike1981

Downloading now. . . We should all start a blog/club doing this sort of thing. I hadn't heard 'Schwantology' when I started moving in this direction a year or so ago, but what a great mix it is. This looks to be excellent, too.

F

foret

Take Curve out of there :x

I was really enjoying Cage and Feldman talking about mushrooms too! Where did you get that recording?

Apart from that, I think it's wonderful, made me think of that 'late night city aesthetic' thread

Thanks alot

Rambler

Awanturnik
Curve's a gulity pleasure, so it stays ;)

The Feldman/Cage conversation comes from one of three recorded in 1967 for WBAI in New York; there are three conversations, about 40 mins each. They're hosted on Ubuweb and the Other Minds collection at archive.org, but I actually got this one from Scott Unrein's very fine NonPop podcast.

jenks

thread death
listened to it a few times over the weekend - really works. I wasn't convinced by the shoegazing stuff at first but it has really grown on me - that curve voice really blends well.

also nice to hear snatches of I am Sitting in a Room.

Thanks

Rambler

Awanturnik
Thanks to some promptng from Droid I'm starting to put together a new one (don't expect anything for a few months though). Sceptics will be glad to know that there's going to be no shoegaze in this one. However, Mercury Rev hasn't been ruled out... :D