Psytrance

benjybars

village elder.
haha.. I lived with a mexican guy last year and he LOVED psy trance... He'd play it all the time and it would really piss me off.. Anyway, the music's shit IMO, although it's massively popular in Israel apparently..

P.S. The mexican guy pissed me off so much with his stupid psy trance that I put all the bills in his name when he was on holiday.. now he hundreds of pounds of council tax:D

skim

i can't stand the balls to the wall full-on psy toward the goa end of the spectrum, but the last time i had any contact with the psy thing there was some minimal psy coming out that was dark as fuck and a lot more slinky.

like i said in another thread, theres very little difference between that stuff and someone like pan-pot that minimal heads masturbate over regularly. different basslines and thats about it.

Yep... to say that psytrance has never developed is just wrong. It has developed a harder, more drilling sound over the past few years and moved on from the scratchy, wibbly arp antics of the mid-90s.

The best psy is either the very dark stuff (like X Dream) or the spacy, tripped-out slightly dubby tracks. It's when it starts getting into mystick-Gaia-hallucinogenic-pixie territory (complete with horrendous new age artwork) that psytrance really loses it. At its best, the scene puts on some really good parties, although at times these gatherings can tend to be a bit cliquey and cosy. But not always... they're usually full of affable hippies.

Bleep's right about the parallels between psy and minimal techno. I'd even go so far to say that I've been more engaged by some psytrance than I have by meandering seven minute-long click-techno tracks. The minimalists have better artwork, but that's about it.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
can anyone direct me to a decent online resource for this darker, techier psy-trance, im well intrigues by it

failing that, some artists / djs?

Check out stuff by Spirallianz aka Midi Miliz.

I don't think it's right to say that trance never went through the headfuck '93 jungle phase, I think it did in '97. But most people couldn't stand it just like most people couldn't stand jungle in '93.

There's some interesting stuff hapenning around the edges like the Finnish sound. I uploaded this freaky finnish psy-trance track that I thought was a lot of fun (acid lines, backstreet boys/80's metal samples) and it nearly got me banned because the guy who runs it thought it was the worst thing he's ever heard.

There's like a psy-trance equivalent of all the major electronic dance music movements. There's progressive psy-trance which is indistinguishable from the "progressive trance/house" and really, very boring. There's the mainstream full-on sound which is pretty much like london acid techno/free party sound. There's the minimal techy stuff (like the Spirallianz stuff). There's dub chill-out stuff.

It's mostly crap though. The german Villalobos type stuff is way more psychedelic than any psy-trance these days.

Lichen

I, for my sins, have been exposed to oodles of Psytrance; ghastly gear, on the whole.

And the parties I used to end up at: awesome soundsystems, amazing locations, classy class A's, dreadful, monotonous music, public school twats ( I'm the former, arguably not the latter) .

The frustration used to kill me. Sort of like lovely crisp roast potatoes, a fluffy yorkshire pudding WITHOUT THE BEEF.

Kox Box were good though.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I don't think it's right to say that trance never went through the headfuck '93 jungle phase, I think it did in '97. But most people couldn't stand it just like most people couldn't stand jungle in '93.

There's some interesting stuff hapenning around the edges like the Finnish sound. I uploaded this freaky finnish psy-trance track that I thought was a lot of fun (acid lines, backstreet boys/80's metal samples) and it nearly got me banned because the guy who runs it thought it was the worst thing he's ever heard.

There's like a psy-trance equivalent of all the major electronic dance music movements. There's progressive psy-trance which is indistinguishable from the "progressive trance/house" and really, very boring. There's the mainstream full-on sound which is pretty much like london acid techno/free party sound. There's the minimal techy stuff (like the Spirallianz stuff). There's dub chill-out stuff.

london-acid-tekno that was the headfuck stage surely! standing in a disused cinema in '97 thinking "it can't get any madder ;) ", but then that was never quite the 'trance' scene really, the psy-trance scene is pretty tribal and a lot more hippy. Crucially I don't see it as particularly 'urban' which is why I think so many people hate the music & the crowd it doesn't reach out or include urban flavas.

errorcorrective

if any one is interested in getting a taste come down to london for the mindscapes party on the 23rd september where my act 'error corrective' are playing. we do a darkish style of psytrance that i think many of you may appreciate.
friendly atmosphere, friendly security and not too many hippies nowadays either!
http://www.mindscapesandfriends.com/
excuse the indiscriminate plug:D

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
Check out stuff by Spirallianz aka Midi Miliz.

Haha I was just about to suggest it. Whenever I play any Spirallianz tracks people love it. It is basically really hard but quite minimal techno - some how it comes under psytrance though.

BattleJuice is a good one.

I have a lot of early Goa / Psytrance records, I quite liked Darhsan and some of the early flying rhino releases.

Another minimal one is the Beast EP on twisted records. Very sharp sounds!

IKoss

Wild Horses
Maybe it'll collide with nu-dnb (which is afaict the other big sound at new-raves) to produce a sort of 21st century happy hardcore. That could be fun, in a two wrongs making a right sort of way...

fantastic, lol. so true though, huh m8.