typeface design/font making

sufi

lala
@sufi I just published a little solarpunk typography guide:

View attachment 16626
i had a look at installing the bubble font here on dissensus but it was either too complicated or too simple for me to get my head around (i don't think the forum hosts its own webfonts, it uses default fonts on yr pc, as far as i could work out)

• Sad
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i had a look at installing the bubble font here on dissensus but it was either too complicated or too simple for me to get my head around (i don't think the forum hosts its own webfonts, it uses default fonts on yr pc, as far as i could work out)
Would you have to do some CSS formatting for importing fonts?

sufi

lala
Would you have to do some CSS formatting for importing fonts?
there is a whole elaborate admin control panel which doesnt seem to have an option to add fonts, so it wd involve something like this i guess

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
there is a whole elaborate admin control panel which doesnt seem to have an option to add fonts, so it wd involve something like this i guess
Yeah, thats what I did for my site, using a font I had to upload to IPFS. So if you know the font, you just need to get a link to the file and then specify the format (in my case, I used a .otf "opentype" font format).

CSS:
@font-face {
    font-family: "GeistMono";
    src: url(https://indigo-cautious-chinchilla-877.mypinata.cloud/ipfs/QmQ5e6jXzTmgWFK4jpbr4eAfRFyqf922cfr6CkQMrj2PPg);
    src: url(https://indigo-cautious-chinchilla-877.mypinata.cloud/ipfs/QmQ5e6jXzTmgWFK4jpbr4eAfRFyqf922cfr6CkQMrj2PPg) format("opentype");
    font-weight: 100;
}

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Making a new font (working title "Isovox"), first time making different glyphs for upper and lower case. Using raster graphic design tools. Probably won't be able to do many/any ligatures within these constraints (3x3x6 blocks).

isovox font sampleABC.png

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Making a new font (working title "Isovox"), first time making different glyphs for upper and lower case. Using raster graphic design tools. Probably won't be able to do many/any ligatures within these constraints (3x3x6 blocks).

View attachment 16892
I'm just now noting that some of these actually "work" as 2D glyphs, from both sides, if you view them square-on from the striped side or the dark side. I would make this a unifying theme, but certain glyphs like W will be hard if not impossible to make that work for.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
which "raster graphic design tools" do you make them with?
I use GIMP to make the graphics, and then I use the free version of Calligraphr (web tool) to download a template which I paste the glyphs onto, and then you can customize certain font parameters on the Calligraphr web app, and export them as .ttf and .otf files.

sufi

lala
I use GIMP to make the graphics, and then I use the free version of Calligraphr (web tool) to download a template which I paste the glyphs onto, and then you can customize certain font parameters on the Calligraphr web app, and export them as .ttf and .otf files.
i've been playing about with svg paths with inkscape :cool:

sufi

lala
Yeah I'm a newb when it comes to vector graphics, haven't really started learning yet, but seemingly most of the top-tier fonts are vector graphics.
i like that you can make graphics out of more or less hooman readable code

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Its interesting, I was thinking about whether vector graphics could be considered parametricist art, but I ultimately don't think so because I think parametricism involves using formulae for computers to render imagery or structure (e.g. Zaha Hadid), whereas vector graphics seem to mostly be manually composed vectors. That said, I'm not very familiar with vector graphics, so there could be ways to create them via formula prompts.

sufi

lala
Its interesting, I was thinking about whether vector graphics could be considered parametricist art, but I ultimately don't think so because I think parametricism involves using formulae for computers to render imagery or structure (e.g. Zaha Hadid), whereas vector graphics seem to mostly be manually composed vectors. That said, I'm not very familiar with vector graphics, so there could be ways to create them via formula prompts.
heh i was thinking the other direction - svg paths are lines of poetry