Synth Recommendations

Benny Bunter

Yeah? Not surprised really considering what it can do for the price. I'm gonna have a go on one in the next couple of days anyway. They look like good fun and I really want to get away from just drawing in midi notes in a sequencer all the time (even though I do have a midi controller keyboard already). I want knobs to twiddle and the vocoder looks like a good laugh too.

What I'd like to know is how much of a bitch they are to program patches on, there does seem to be quite a lot of menus and not many knobs to control parameters with. Still, I'm still tempted.

connect_icut

I want knobs to twiddle... there does seem to be quite a lot of menus and not many knobs to control parameters with.

From what I've been told, it's a really good synth for analog-modelling presets but pretty much useless for hardcore knob-twiddling (ooh-er!) If what your looking for is a more tactile alternative to soft-synths, then you'll probably have to dig a little deeper and spend a little more.

Benny Bunter

Yeah I am aware of its limitations but theres no way I can afford to spend any more than 300 quid. I suppose the most important thing is the sound and from what I can gather its meant to be sound pretty great. I'm hoping it'll be good for basslines and lead lines with plenty of body and (ahem) 'phatness'. I can live with only having a few knobs to twiddle and the little keyboard coz I won't be using it to play live and will be using it in conjunction with software anyway so it won't be my main synth.
In a way I think I want something quite limited so that I get to know the instrument well and just get some jams going, without constantly fiddling with a mouse.

Anyway, I'm gonna try one out at the weekend so I'll let you know what I think of it then.

Woebot

i dunno benjy. it's kind of skirted around but it's an "analogue modelling synth" as opposed to "analogue synth" - IMHO it sounds kinda OK (a member of my family has one).

if you want a proper "analogue synth" you might be better checking out an old roland juno. you'll probably get one for around that sum. i have a very lowly matrix 1000 but i've written these patches for a novation controller so you can tweak its patches. matrix + novation = probably less than 300.

dmx crew is good on this sort of thing.

massrock

I don't have one but I like Korg stuff. they're like the Nintendo of the synth world - well designed stuff that's fun as well as being quality. From what I've heard, which is quite a bit as they are everywhere, it does sound pretty good, but probably not much fun making sounds on it. There is an editor for computers but you might find that defeats the point somewhat.

The Matrix 1000 is a good tip I'd say. Or a Cheetah MS6 which is very similar and still unappreciated, but don't tell anyone. Like Woebot says you'll just need to sort out some way of controlling / programming one of those old modules with a knobby controller keyboard or knob box.

If you really like the Microkorg you might want to look for a second hand MS2000 which has the exact same sound engine but also loads of knobs. Or staying digital an old Novation Nova desktop which doesn't have a keyboard but does have lots of knobs and plenty of voices. I also reckon the Alesis Micron is pretty good (also rebranded as the Akai Miniak) - quite similar to the Microkorg, surprisingly 'deep' synthesis, nice step sequencer and 8 voices as opposed to 4. A lot of users say this is one of the most 'analogue' sounding digital synths. Again though the Micron / Miniak is a bit of a bastard to program without an editor.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Novation Bass station is an analogue synth that can be found quite cheap these days.
Someone's going to explain now that it's not really analogue as it uses a digitally-controlled analogue oscillator, but what can I say? - I like the Microkorg.
Then there's this new Korg thingie coming out for the cheapest ever properly analog synth. It's monophonic ie only one note at a time where a Juno is polyphonic lots of notes at a time.
korg-monotron-synthesizer.png

but yeah ask Edward

Last edited:

Woebot

Novation Bass station is an analogue synth that can be found quite cheap these days.
Someone's going to explain now that it's not really analogue as it uses a digitally-controlled analogue oscillator, but what can I say? - I like the Microkorg.
Then there's this new Korg thingie coming out for the cheapest ever properly analog synth. It's monophonic ie only one note at a time where a Juno is polyphonic lots of notes at a time.
korg-monotron-synthesizer.png

but yeah ask Edward

that korg box looks sooooo cute. re:VCOs-vs-DCOs were you referring to the Novation bass station? Or the Microkorg? I don't have a prob with DCOs (in fact i have two really cool digital synths which i love) but as far as i know the microkorg is a completely different beast. its a digital synth which is controlled with an "analog-a-like" interface - i'd rather just get a straight digital synth!!! innit.

(actually woops i suspect you must be referring to the novation)

i'd love a Novation Bass Station actually! that's another great suggestion for benjy. he could probably get one for 100 quid!! and if he also bought a matrix 1000 he could use it as a keyboard for the matrix 1000. now THERE'S a thought.

(paging edward) (paging edward)

massrock

The Microkorg is basically a Virtual Analogue - it models analogue subtractive synthesis in software. It does also have some extra waveforms that you wouldn't find in an analogue synth. Good for things like organs, bells, voices and weird stuff.

That little Monotron has the same filter as the MS-10/20 which is really nice.

woops

is not like other people
yeah novation is analogue.
microkorg is 100% digital.
wasn't really clear was it.
both are great
o/t old casiotones generate some nice filtered squarewaves with digital circuits

muser

I always thought DCO meant that its tuning was controlled digitally so it wouldnt go out of tune but not necessarily that the waveforms were generated digitally, but i'm definitely no expert on the matter.. ime the sound of the filter is biggest selling point for analog over digital (probably one of the most complex things to program digitally in the relm of analog style synthesis) and is what gives synths their character (im sure theres alot of other things that do aswell tho)

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

i dunno benjy. it's kind of skirted around but it's an "analogue modelling synth" as opposed to "analogue synth" .

errr...I never actually said that I was after an analogue synth in particular, I'm ok with Digital I think!

Lots of food for thought here though, thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into them for sure. Another factor is reliability I suppose and would be a bit hesitant about buying an old second hand analogue synth. Over the years I'm sick of having gear break on me and having to go through hassle getting it fixed.

connect_icut

I think most of the Roland Junos have digitally controlled oscillators, don't they? Weren't they the first digital/analogue hybrid synths?

I like Korg stuff too - I have an ES-1 sampler. That tiny analogue synth looks cool. I have a friend who has a little Yamaha analogue synth the size of a Casio SK-1!

massrock

DCOs are still analogue in terms of actual waveform generation of course, just that they're digitally synchronised. This makes them more stable in terms of pitch, and means that they inevitably have a different character to oscillators that are clocked with analogue circuitry. No value judgements implied ;-)

I've got an ES-1 as well which I got for a great price. Great fun, funky little thing. Also really like the Korg DS-10 for the Nintendo DS, results out of that are great.

Benny Bunter

i i have a very lowly matrix 1000 but i've written these patches for a novation controller so you can tweak its patches. matrix + novation = probably less than 300.

Actually, please tell me a bit more about this combo. Is it easy to set up? Do you mean that I could use the novation's knobs to tweak patches on the matrix 1000 away from the computer? Not really sure how this works!

Woebot

Actually, please tell me a bit more about this combo. Is it easy to set up? Do you mean that I could use the novation's knobs to tweak patches on the matrix 1000 away from the computer? Not really sure how this works!

well i use a novation remote 37 sl and i wrote these templates so i could tweak the parameters of a matrix 1000 (a 1U rack synth).

i'm Hollow Earth on this thread:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42498&p=569269#p569269
and there's a link to the templates there.

just send me an email if you want (get it via cybore.me)

[edit]

yes you wouldn't need the computer (though you do need it in the very first instance to upload my templates to the novation)

HOWEVER! caveat. you may have more fun with something properly knobby. it's not that tricky to set up (a load less tricky than it was for me!) but it is slightly crazy. i just adore the oberheim's sound so....

Last edited:

Woebot

I think most of the Roland Junos have digitally controlled oscillators, don't they? Weren't they the first digital/analogue hybrid synths?

the juno 106 has DCOs doesn't it so maybe they were the first? certainly they were the first generation.