blog house

woops

is not like other people
?

Of course it wouldn't have happened but that is a ridiculous luddite premise. It seems a lot of eBay vinyl geeks are up in arms about this sort of thing, but when it comes down to it, the speed of digital cuts out a lot of industry bureauocracy as well as white label snobbery. Anyone I know who's guilty of this is merely getting hold of what the crowd wants, likely to get rinsed and fall out of favour. Their vinyl buying is a much more personal thing

something in your eye?

caspercorrell

Interesting thread.

Sometimes I get sick of people continually defining what a DJ is: "they have to use vinyl, they have to use obscure music, they have to buy what they play." No... a DJ is a person who plays the music that people will completely lose their minds to. Who cares how they play that music, as long as it is played (and played well)?

I'm taking a huge (probably stupid) leap here, but the blog house phenomenon seems to have parallels with the punk movement. People are getting sick of pretentious dance music affectionados crapping on about what is "true" house/trance music. That isn't a fun way to enjoy music.

Even if blog house is a short-lived fad, there is little doubt that bloggers are in the process of replacing both music journos *and* music labels. It's also very heartening to see that so many people are having so much fun making music that they are willing to just give it away and aren't trying to pimp their overpriced CDs or iTunes downloads. The all-inclusive, "get up and make a noise" attitude is very punk.

Now stop worrying about what is "real" dance music and just start listening to the stuff that makes you dance! Also, @ Guybrush, I think half the fun is when a whole dance floor knows a song and goes crazy for it. But (obviously) you have to mix that sort of stuff in with more obscure tunes - otherwise it sounds like nothing more than a Top 40 radio show.