suitable wedding suit question

mms

sometimes
i'm going to a wedding on saturday, my girlfriend wants me to wear my dinner suit as according to her i look nice in it, either that or an ok pin striped grey suit, but wearing a dinner suit isn't the done thing at all is it?
it's a early afternoon wedding, i will look like a twat if i wear a dinner suit won't i?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Depends on what people are being asked to wear, but chances are yeah on the twat question. Especially if it's in the afternoon. Does the invite specify anything?

That said, I once turned up at a wedding where the invite had instructed all comers to 'just wear t-shirts and shorts' (it was scheduled for a mid-summer afternoon on a beach and the couple consisted of two very laid-back gay guys). I, of course, was the only person to take this seriously and felt a complete tosser when I saw that everyone else was in a suit (except the women, who got to wear clothing that was both comfortable and acceptable) while I was in a short-sleeved shirt and blue jeans.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
If you've not been told it's an extra extra smart affair, I'd wear the pinstripe. Do you know anyone else who's going? You can always conspire together to be as smart/scruffy as each other.

mms

sometimes
If you've not been told it's an extra extra smart affair, I'd wear the pinstripe. Do you know anyone else who's going? You can always conspire together to be as smart/scruffy as each other.
i reckon i've sorted it with a mix of smart black trousers which match, suit jacket and tie, will look a bit like a member of u2 but it's a better look.
it is fairly smart affair but not dumbly smart imo.