Where should I eat in London?

STN

sou'wester
I had quite a nice meal at the Duke in Bloomsbury recently. £27 a head and that's with getting fairly sloshed.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Eritrean food update:
bad news: Fassika is now a chinese buffet
good new: Muna's - south of turnpike lane on Green Lanes- is, if anything, better, at least based on tonights experience. Plus it's handy for the Salisbury if you have space left for beer.

benjybars

village elder.
Eritrean food update:
bad news: Fassika is now a chinese buffet
good new: Muna's - south of turnpike lane on Green Lanes- is, if anything, better, at least based on tonights experience. Plus it's handy for the Salisbury if you have space left for beer.

i went to muna's for my birthday three years ago.
there were about 14 people there and they all hated it. i liked it tho.
the owner is well friendly.
was it busy when you were there? for some reason i live in fear of it closing down..

outraygeous

My local kebab shop in Harrow is so good.

The guy just loves making food and he always does it for cheap

went there hung over, got hummus and bread, chicken shish and chips and he knew i liked 7up and charged me £6

and i sat in and watched the telly

badman

powerpill

went there hung over, got hummus and bread, chicken shish and chips and he knew i liked 7up and charged me £6

badman

which kebab shop is that? im local

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i went to muna's for my birthday three years ago.
there were about 14 people there and they all hated it. i liked it tho.
the owner is well friendly.
was it busy when you were there? for some reason i live in fear of it closing down..
Pretty empty, tbh, although it was a tuesday night or something. I'm going round recommending it to everyone I know in the hopes of ginning up some business for them...

benjybars

village elder.

badman

haha.

love places like that

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So, acknowledging that the only real curry in london is to be had from some place in zone six that only Luka has ever been to, and that we're talking meeting-up-and-going-for-curry-with-mates rather than exploring-the-rich-culinary-heritage-of-the-indian-subcontinent, is there anywhere fairly central that's above average?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
LOL :D

how about Drummond Street? there's quite a few places down there and it's fairly central.

or Sagar West End is off TCR and Sagar Covent Garden is the same group, all veggie admittedly.

elsewhere, i've ate at the Regency caff in Pimlico (mentioned ^) twice recently, and it is spot on. i had chips, two fried egg, beans one time, and something similar another time tho' poss w sossies, i forget. oh and a cup of tea. fine beans, couldn't finish the chips the other day, generous portion. very nice.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I went to Nobu for my birthday, because I'd met Grace Jones' agent a few weeks before and she'd expressed ennui at 'having to go to Nobu again' with a roll of her eyes, and I wanted to know what it would be like to feel like I'd lived a life where going to Nobu for dinner was met with ennui.

It was really good and I'd recommend it, if you want eating Japanese food ruined for you for the rest of your life. I kinda won't be able to eat sushi again without knowing how good it was there. We had the tasting menu. It felt a bit like being at a supermarket and it definitely isn't an intimate, long evening session unless you book a private room, you're kinda given 2 hours to eat, but I knew that and that was fine, I had to go on somewhere anyway so wasn't lookin to make a full evening of it. Anyway, worth a splash if you get a windfall or whatever. I was surprised, I wasn't expecting the food to be good.

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Antepliler do great Turkish food, theres one on Green Lanes and one on Upper St in Angel (the latter being much smarter and more expensive, more of a sit down and savour it affair whilst the Green Lanes version is much more functional).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
So, acknowledging that the only real curry in london is to be had from some place in zone six that only Luka has ever been to, and that we're talking meeting-up-and-going-for-curry-with-mates rather than exploring-the-rich-culinary-heritage-of-the-indian-subcontinent, is there anywhere fairly central that's above average?

If you can't make it to Tooting or the north London equivalent, I well recommend Vijays in Kilburn

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3032.htm

The food is fucking amazing. Have the keema peas if you're not veggie. The restaurant next door, Geeta, is good as well but not quite as brilliant.

The Kastoori in Tooting is the best Indian in London that I've been to though :

http://www.kastoorirestaurant.com/starters.html

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Actually, I reckon it's probably going to be Mirch Massala / Tayyabs / Lahore / That Other One Around There. Given that there's going to be about a dozen of us including several veggies, which of these makes most sense ie which ones either take bookings or don't need bookings, and does tayyabs do good stuff other than meat?