The Dub Scale

john eden

male pale and stale
personally, i love it, at least parts of it. i don't know if it's not cool to admit that but i thought sherwood was brilliant with it. i've never really heard any other primal scream so i'm not sure how it compares.

I think they were quite good at choosing who they collaborated with - the stuff they did with Weatherall and Jah Wobble on Screamadelica is very good.

where do creation rebel and the maffia sit in this then? was it on uncarved.org that i read about mark stewart coming back from shaka gigs with distorted tape recordings and telling sherwood that that was what he wanted to make? maybe it was in rip it up and start again.

File under "general On-U Sound" I think - somewhere between absolute dub and dubby post punk. I think the uncarved.org piece quotes Sherwood from The Wire saying that about Mark Stewart.

and rza has his moments as well, at least early on (e.g. 7th Chamber pt. 2 - as in dubbing as practice not sound)

Dub and hip hop is kinda under-explored really. There was a great track by Prince Paul on one of the macro dub comps. Plus the Wordsound / Crooklyn Dub Consortium. Wu-tang are certainly "dread" but I don't recall swathes of echo and reverb and vocals coming in and out very much...

STN

sou'wester
I'm only talking about that one track (which is horrible), 2step, the rest of Zep I'm in agreement with you on. As a birthday treat last year, Ms STN sat through the whole of Physical Graffiti without complaining; by the end it looked like she was going to weep with boredom.

Rock on by David Essex is bloody brilliant though. I'll not hear a word against it.

Re dub in hip hop - I really like that tune Proper Education by Grand Puba. I guess it's not true dub, but the Mad Prof production counts for a lot.

Last edited:

dHarry

Da Doo Doo Dub (sorry)

So what about the Police? Definitely the biggest (cod-)reggae act in the world, and did have some real dub moments in Walking On The Moon and/or others. So do the peroxide pop tarts deserve a generous position above 5 for bringing dub to the masses, or under 5 for exploiting from it for their own nefarious ends? I'd plump for 4 or 5.

blubeat

blubeat
I think

> 6. Primal Scream

should be

6. The Clash

It was them that got me into dub, sort of. I still play Bankrobber Dub (and Guns of Brixton) in downtempo and reggae sets.

I'm not entirely comfortable putting The Clash in the same list as Steps though.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
As a birthday treat last year, Ms STN sat through the whole of Physical Graffiti without complaining; by the end it looked like she was going to weep with boredom.
Large up Mrs STN! Greatest rock album ever.

The "slow dance" when I got married was Rain Song. My wife likes the Zepp :)

Rock on by David Essex is bloody brilliant though. I'll not hear a word against it.
Agreed

Big up the bluebeat - the clash were such an important link into all this! There was me, 13 years old, 1980, at Brixton Academy, seeing the Clash on the Sandinista, having my mind blown by this vast wall of bass overlaid by shards of dub echo... set the tone for the rest of my musical life...

Last edited:

blubeat

blubeat
> There was me, 13 years old, 1980, at Brixton Academy

Ok, that's pretty cool! I am very very jealous! And at 13!

That said, I took my step-son to Brixton Academy, aged 10, to see The Streets. He wasn't impressed at all but he loved Proessor Green and MC Sway. After seeing (or to be more precise "feeling") Aba Shanti this year @ Notting Hill he is desperate to come along to a Shaka gig - roll on the outdoor gigs when the smoking ban comes in.

Um. Can you smoke outside at a Public event? I cant remember. Were football stadiums exepmt or included?

Chris

fractured oscillations
How about the Cocteau Twins? Not much low end, but I'd reckon them to be at least a 6 or 7 for Robin Guthrie's contribution alone...

don_quixote

Trent End
Um. Can you smoke outside at a Public event? I cant remember. Were football stadiums exepmt or included?

if youre watching football most football grounds ive been to recently ban it anyway now, although that may be out of choice. dunno how it'd be for music events.

the difference is you cant move in an all seater stadium, but most outdoor music events will be standing so you can move away from said smokers. and there shouldnt be too many people around you working anyway

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
There's so much music from '79-'81 that could go around 7-9 on the scale. Aside from all the PIL/Slits stuff there are all those dub mixes of disco tracks and ESG/Liquid Liquid are pretty dubbed out too.

What about all that dub chill-out music or ambient dub from labels like Liquid Sound Design...kinda light on the dub scale I would say. A 5 or 6?