Buckfast

martin

----
CODY is by Mogwai - Come On Die Young, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh cheers. And yes, the Birthday Party are the soundtrack to more chaos than I care to remember. Just the opening chords of "Junkyard" remind me of waking up cut and bruised and full of apocalyptic paranoia and guilt.

tom pr

i've heard rumours that in the infamous 'buckfast triangle'- the area in east glasgow where most of the world's supply of buckfast is drunk- takeaways have started putting 'buckfast kormas' on the menu.
There are certainly bars in Aberdeen that advertise buckfast cocktails; not that I've ever had the will to try one. Kormas sound a different beast entirely...

I can't imagine a better score for rowdy drunkenness than (early) Mogwai.
Cody's so melancholic and beautiful though! When I think of Buckfast the first image that comes into my head is this uber-lad on Booze Britain quipping that if you're from Glasgow, you drink Iron Bru by day and Buckie by night, otherwise you're a poof. He certainly didn't listen to Mogwai. ;)

I always thought Arab Strap were the ultimate soundtrack to depressed, drunken nights: the jadedness, monotony, the unsatisfaction of constantly slipping off at half one because you're having such a shit time, the contempt for people who're having a good time at your expense...

STN

sou'wester
It's actually now made in Fulham, not Buckfast Leigh. The lairiest drink I've ever tried was Tesco's gin in a pint glass topped up with White Lightning. It sends you crazy.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Was at a pub in Dublin a few weeks ago for a quick pint and one of my friends claimed that they had recently started selling jugs of Buckfast at the bar. 16 euros apparently gets you a bottle of Buckfast poured into a jug of ice. I didn't try ordering one due to some fairly unpleasant associations with Buckie from my teenage years, and since the pub itself (the George Bernard Shaw) was quite a nice spot with a friendly crowd and decent music I have to lean towards the possibility that my friend was lying and/or confused.

robin

they do indeed sell buckfast behind the bar in the bernard shaw,but buckfast in ireland seems to have a totally different demographic - it is mainly drunk by clubbers and hippies,and isn't really that associated with rowdiness at all,drunken mayhem perhaps but not violence.

myself the one and only time i was absolutely out of control drunk was a result of buckfast,but that was numerous bottles and other stimulants consumed over the course of 40 hours or so with scant regard for my well being and no meals,other than that i've been drinking it for years with no ill effects,i don't even get a hangover from it.

also its slightly different over here,its thicker and more syrupy,sort of like calpol or something,in britain the consistency of it is much more like wine which in my opinion makes it taste horrible.

STN

sou'wester
I visited the Abbey on Saturday - astonishingly we were the only stag-do there! Everyone else appeared to want to have a quick pray. Something I reserved for the following morning, when I howled at the heavens to end my sugary, waterless anguish.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Wow, We have been talking about visiting the abbey for years.
Was it all you've ever dreamed it to be ?

A friend of mine folks runs a supermarket and a rep once told us that Galway had passed out Glasgow in bottles sold years ago. Don't know how much truth is in it, Glasgow has a much bigger population but like Robin said its drank by absolutely everybody over here so maybe.

Won't hear a bad word said about it myself, once maintained a myspace page dedicated to the stuff in my teens:rolleyes:

STN

sou'wester
It was a squat, reasonably ugly abbey building with a hilariously genteel shoppe, selling all these little Jesus trinkets and scented soaps which they sort of try to imply are made there, but are in fact made in other abbeys across Europe. Buckfast is the only product they actually have any hand in the manufacture of.

The potion itself is kept behind the shop counter; the look on the woman's face when the 13 of us poured in smelling of farting and cigarettes, ignored the rest of the shop and immediately requested bucky, was perhaps the least surprised expression I have ever seen.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the look on the woman's face when the 13 of us poured in smelling of farting and cigarettes, ignored the rest of the shop and immediately requested bucky, was perhaps the least surprised expression I have ever seen."
Ha ha. Reminds me of a time in Bow - think it was Easter weekend - when a load of us who had obviously been up all night piled in to the newsagents the second it opened and bought loads of spirits, wines and beers plus cigarettes, feeling slightly guilty about the impression we were making on the innocent old lady behind the counter. Who obviously didn't bat an eyelid because ever single other person in the neighbourhood (including her on her days off no doubt) does exactly the same thing at any opportunity.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
308064_242562032458546_134927693221981_664196_1514476805_n.jpg

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Ha, knew it was the drink of the gods. I got told off by some folkies last weekend for throwing a jenga block across the room quite violently in a fit of Buckie Rage. Then they told me off for throwing the empty bottle into Loch Tay :(