Buckfast

martin

----
Ah, Buckfast...that most sacred of brews, lovingly presented to the world by monks, and responsible for more acts of drunken lunacy than probably any other drink in the world. In fact, I think its only rival was 'Clan Dew', a repulsive 50% "unique blend of British wine and Irish whiskey', which used to be on sale for 3.99 a bottle.

Come on, let's hear it for Buckfast!

STN

sou'wester
Hooray for buckie, with it* you may spend hours of your 27th (yes, 27th, I didn't mean to write 17 and write 27 by mistake) birthday party lying on your back, vomiting copiously while friends and loved ones struggle to lift you into the shower to house you down. Never has the thought 'ooh, I'll just have a little lie down' ended in such sofa-destroying calamity.

That Sanatogen stuff just can't match up to it.

*I don't think the Sheridan's helped any, mind.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Mogwai's 'CODY', the basement of a squat, a belt, an Irish butcher. You really don't want to know the rest, that's what bucky means to me. Dark drink, that.

martin

----
Mogwai's 'CODY', the basement of a squat, a belt, an Irish butcher. You really don't want to know the rest, that's what bucky means to me. Dark drink, that.

I bow to you. Let's face it, Buckie is death and rock n roll in its most squirming, violent state. Nobody's ever come back from a Buckie binge untouched. I still have scars.

mistersloane

I bow to you. Let's face it, Buckie is death and rock n roll in its most squirming, violent state. Nobody's ever come back from a Buckie binge untouched. I still have scars.

I don't have scars, but the Irish butcher does. I'm gonna shut up now before I incriminate myself further....

martin

----
I don't have scars, but the Irish butcher does. I'm gonna shut up now before I incriminate myself further....

MisterSloane, you're a good looking chap and then some. If the pigs come squealing, we'll blank em off. We won't grass you for nuffink! And now, I believe it's time to go to Bethnal Green and completely ruin someone's birthday party by drinking Buckfast.

For foreigners who ain't got a clue, here's the one and only surviving Buckfast Tv ad

Noah Baby Food

Buckie is responsible for young Scottish lads sticking huge knives in each other. It's fuckin crazy! It's a 'Tonic Wine'. Tonic for what, being able to walk? Not wanting to kill yer mates?

The soft Southern version of this is Thunderbird. Can you still get that stuff? Red Thunderbird and Blue Thunderbird, red being the stronger option. Remember waking up on Bognor beach in the early hours of the morn, aged 14-15 or summat, covered in spew and crawling to the public bogs to spew red stuff, as a result of this tackle. (And some cans of bitter I think).

Then a few years later you had MD 20-20, which is still available. All the girls used to drink this through straws circa 1992-93.

Let's hear it for LOSE BOOZE!

mistersloane

MisterSloane, you're a good looking chap and then some. If the pigs come squealing, we'll blank em off. We won't grass you for nuffink!

*blushes* i doubt the police are inerested in my tawdry life, it's more friends who may read this that I may be incriminated by should I go further lol. But Buckfast man, jesus, the hangover from that is as good as scotch.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
someone i work with emailed me this a few months ago - it's a sign on the door of Haddows, a Scottish chain of off licenses

mistersloane

No matter what scenario I try to invision, 'Cody' always seems such an inappropriate soundtrack...

lol really? God that album follows me around like a three headed dog, it was just everywhere I went for about 5 years, to the point where if someone puts it on now it's like 'oh no, please'. It certainly went very well with Buckfast. Probably cos it was made on it!

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
gentlemen, i can inform you that there is only one drink better than buckfast, and that is monkfords. its buckfast, but cheaper, and even stickier if you spill it (which will happen.) Mix with acid and let the good times roll.

S

simon silverdollar

i've heard rumours that in the infamous 'buckfast triangle'- the area in east glasgow where most of the world's supply of buckfast is drunk- takeaways have started putting 'buckfast kormas' on the menu.

STN

sou'wester
My own private downfall was soundtracked by those good chaps The Birthday Party, who have probably soundtracked most of the episodes of this kind that I've suffered (other than kiddie cider ones, which were soundtracked by Poison and their ilk). Wray and Nephews was in the mix as well.

Can anyone lend any substance to the rumour that buckie is served on tap in Lurgan, Northern Ireland?

Also, does anyone have a favourite batch number? I prefer the lower, less sweet end of the scale.