leamas

His tune on the Wipeout XL game soundtrack Third Sequence is one of my favorites as well.

Heavy tune. I remember literally fighting for a 12" of this in Mr Bongo (RIP) after school one day.

Also don't forget into the 90's and Consciousness on Metalheadz (the former is a 90bpm version of the latter). If you get really into it you'll find lots of the samples he used on Sun Ra and Pharoah Saunders tunes.

Just listening to that Bailey mix now and its a good retrospective. The Bleeps tune was probably the last good d'n'b thing he did, though it's well worth checking out 'Mine To Give', the house tune he did with Robert Miles, as well.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Also don't forget into the 90's and Consciousness on Metalheadz (the former is a 90bpm version of the latter). If you get really into it you'll find lots of the samples he used on Sun Ra and Pharoah Saunders tunes.

...and his double entendres?

;)

Poor leamas.

dHarry

That Bailey/1Xtra mix linked upthread is great, like a mini-history of jungle from the earlier Amen rinseouts, through the Bukem-esque Rings Around Saturn, on through the more abstract Platinum Breakz Consciousness track ("intelligence brought to the surface of consciousness") hinting at the stripped-down paranoid samurai snare geometry of Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu to come, then it ends nicely with the unexpected Detroit synth stylings of Aleph1.

Is the later house stuff worth tracking down?

bassnation

the abyss
i guess it's the earlier, rougher/ravier stuff i'm curious about.

One thing that hinders this is the sheer number of aliases he used. Discogs lists:

Aquarius, Code Of Practice, Phaze 1, Rupert Parkes, The Sentinel, Special Forces, Studio Pressure, Synthetics, System Ex, System X and The Truper.

also add to that wots my code, with his seminal old skool jungle tune "dubplate". thats as ruff and nasty as hardcore jungle tekno gets. total science did a remix of it about four years ago i believe.

EDIT: actually, talking total shit here, wasn't photek at all. lol.

Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Form and Function was one of the first DnB records i ever got. I actually am glad there are remixes on it, some of them i tend to like better than the originals, like the UFO one.

However, his "deep house" album pretty much sucked, and i saw him on tour supporting, djing bland, repetitive house (although it was in Santa Monica's Musem of Flying, which was cool).

Ive seen him spin in the last few years, and have been seriously disappointed. He doesnt seem to be trying to "push the envelope" at all anymore, playing it pretty safe.

Finally, I picked up his remix of the new NIN tune, and i gotta tell you, its his worst effort yet (pick one, either photek or trent).

UFO over easy

online mahjong
He's major though, if drum and bass ever comes into fashion again he'll be lauded as one of it's auteurs. Not exactly a dancefloor guy, and all the more interesting for it.

Have you looked into what he's doing these days? Tacky, aggressive, macho, dancefloor crap. It's incredibly depressing - whenever I dig out my old Photek-related records it always leaves a slightly bitter taste..

tekdbz_poster-animated.gif

That this is the man that made Drift to the Centre, Rings Around Saturn, Can We Change The Future, Awakening, The Rain... :eek:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Have you looked into what he's doing these days? Tacky, aggressive, macho, dancefloor crap. It's incredibly depressing - whenever I dig out my old Photek-related records it always leaves a slightly bitter taste..
Yeah, I resolved a year or so ago not to complain publically about the state of mainstream DnB and to be positive about the comparatively less well known stuff that I do like instead, but I still make an exception for slating Photek's Tekdbz stuff.

The Breezeblock 'oldskool jungle special' fiasco was funny, too.

hucks

Your Message Here
The Breezeblock 'oldskool jungle special' fiasco was funny, too.

How so? (I missed it)

Further up the thread, there's mention of Source Direct. I always thought of them as Photek's acolytes - weren't they all from Ipswich or something? Anyhow, Snake Style/ Exit 9 (on Source Direct) and a track they put out on Metalheadz (Web of Sin, or summat?) are well worth checking, if you're in a Photek sliced 'n' diced breakbeat kinda mood.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah I missed that too. I imagine a few older players had things to say about the nu-skool?

I seem to remember reading that Photek was based in Elstree / Borehamwood? Cos that's really important ;)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Instra:mental just released a sick 12" on Darkestral Recs which is worth checking.. they were connected to SD back in the day, but really seem to have taken their time getting releases out

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Yeah think one of them (not sure if its Jim or Phil) brought Vampire Records back, got people like Gremlinz and Stranjah on there.

Skanna ended up doing prog as Quivver.