Bicycles without gears/breaks

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I've ridden fixies a few times due to having had courier friends enthuse about them so much. I get the whole 'economy of movement' thing (and low maintenance is good) but I'm kind of lazy though so prefer a street bike with a couple of gears for tackling the incline on the Manhattan bridge. No fucking way I'd ride brakeless in NYC on a fixie or otherwise though. Bad, bad, bad idea.

benjybars

village elder.
the thing is london is so flat and there's so much traffic and fixed gears are so much lighter that it's crazy to suggest that road bikes are quicker/easier to ride... the only time i get overtaken is by other fixed gear bikes (apart from longer rides where road bikes have enough time to make use of their big gears..

Eric

Mr Moraigero
yeah tokyo also is pretty flat most of the time. when I was on the singlespeed I went at pretty much the same pace as the road bikes, and even the cars depending on the number of signals.

would never ride brakeless though, at least not here ...

semi-related question: why the hipster hate? it seems like most people here automatically hate everything they see hipsters liking. i can understand this somewhat but it would make me a little uncomfortable to let my preferences be dictated by a social group I couldn't stand. just like a lot of underground scenes: defined in opposition to some larger group. makes for boring times ...

OldRottenhat

How can you not love the look of a track bike (forget the person riding it)? The way the lines of the frame are so clean, uninterrupted by levers, cables, braze-ons...it's the bicycle expressed solely as its fundamental components. The experience of riding fixed is different, the connection between rider and machine that much more immediate, the equation between exertion and momentum so much more direct. Getting back on a freewheel bike feels strange, mushy, inefficient.

Riding without a brake should make you more conscious, aware of what you're doing in traffic. You have to think ahead, read where every car on the road is going, where the gaps are opening up and where you'll get boxed in a few seconds down the line. The old argument is that people come to rely on brakes to get them out of trouble, ride less safely because they're confident they can jam on the brakes and stop. That may be true to a point but it doesn't get you out of trouble when someone else is making it dangerous for you. I couriered without a brake for a year, quit because it felt like my knees were slowly separating.

Fixed gears are great for commuters for the same reasons that they're great for couriers - low maintenance because there are so few moving parts that get worn, cheap machines to put a lot of miles on in shitty weather. I think the weight issue is generally nonsense - what's a couple of pounds difference in the weight of the bike making to a rider who weighs ten stone? What's important is that if you live in fairly flat city, you lose very little by having only a single gear and gain substantially in terms of ease and cost of maintenance.

I don't care if a bunch trendy fools want to ride fixed - what it means is that whereas before (as PeterGunn said) fixed gear bikes were expensive and hard to come by, now you can go into any shop and they have replacement cogs and track chains, and you can buy a decent fixed (Bianchi, Surly, Soma or what have you) for less than an entry-level road bike. If you're riding fixed because you like to ride fixed, what do you care about who else rides one?

I ride mostly at weekends now, and I like to head out into the mountains when I do, so yeah, I have a bike with brakes and plenty of low gears. But I also have a fixed, and if I was only riding a few miles a day around a city, that would be all the bike I would want or need.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How can you not love the look of a track bike (forget the person riding it)? The way the lines of the frame are so clean, uninterrupted by levers, cables, braze-ons...it's the bicycle expressed solely as its fundamental components. The experience of riding fixed is different, the connection between rider and machine that much more immediate, the equation between exertion and momentum so much more direct. Getting back on a freewheel bike feels strange, mushy, inefficient.

I imagine driving a Flintstones car would have much the same effect:
flintstone.jpg

Woebot

gaaah!

today a new first.....................

some twit had parked his bike outside my house and................it had no handlebar grips........poor idjit just grips onto the metal tubes of the handledars........

-

also re:this. my hardcore fixie friend who has been doing this for years. bumped into him just the other day recently in a (surprise!) a bike shop and he told me he's now got brakes because without them you fuck up your knees.

more fuel for the fire.....