global financial crash yay!

vimothy

yurp
Yeah, not sure if I do either. Lots of peopole I respect are pretty happy that Geithner is in charge. Whalen (IRA head honcho -- risk management, BTW, not financial engineering) is a bit like Taleb (actually a lot like Taleb) -- I'm reading him, but I don't know how much to take seriously. Lehman didn't turn out to be such a fantastic idea, so I'm not sure how that reflects positively on the possibilities for an AIG bankruptcy. That said, I'm interested in his perspective on CDS as a liquidity drain through the continual posting of collateral as positions worsen. And AIG is still hemorrhaging money like it's going out of fashion.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Lehman didn't turn out to be such a fantastic idea, so I'm not sure how that reflects positively on the possibilities for an AIG bankruptcy.
So many are now saying... these people saying all these FIs should go under, they're essentially inflation-averse monetarists, no?

That said, I'm interested in his perspective on CDS as a liquidity drain through the continual posting of collateral as positions worsen
Sure. But I've heard people in the CDS market say that the actual loss / downside risk from unwinding all positions is tiny, in the hundreds of millions. And the whole point of CDSes was to create liquidity (which they certainly do) - as well as price risk less opaquely, which they certainly did not. Or at least they were saying that a couple of weeks ago. Viz the economist article in praise of CDSes. But I think you are making a different point - that as risk premiums shoot up, collateral itself is a drain in liquidity. Meanwhile trade insurance dries up and MFI goes bust. Jesus.

Isn't it funny how it turns out we don't know how to run the insurance business...

Of course reading that link "The federal government has NO oversight over AIG. Its mess was SOLELY AIG's own doing, and they should consider themselves incredibly lucky that they were so big that the Fed felt it has to intercede" one cannot help but think that we should let it fail just so those witless selfish fuckers feel a bit of pain.

vimothy

yurp
So many are now saying... these people saying all these FIs should go under, they're essentially inflation-averse monetarists, no?

That would also be my, possibly knee-jerk, initial impression, yes. I don't have a lot of time for the idea that we should all suffer a recession because that's the way it should be following a boom -- and in any case, in a democracy people will pick politicians who don't say that, so it's a non-starter -- but I am sympathetic to the idea that certain responses to the bust can lay the ground work for the next one, and that they should be avoided, if we can figure them out.

That said, it's definitely the time for acting and not pissing about and hoping everything works out for the best.

But I think you are making a different point - that as risk premiums shoot up, collateral itself is a drain in liquidity.

Yeah, that's what I mean. However,

Sure. But I've heard people in the CDS market say that the actual loss / downside risk from unwinding all positions is tiny, in the hundreds of millions.

Really? That's weird, because everything I've read about CDS suggest that if there's one derivative instrument that's really dangerous, it's CDS/synthetic CDO. I know Whalen says they're not systemic, but he's a minority in my experience. Where are you coming from? As I understand it, you have these chains of netted CDS that are purely speculative in nature and many times larger in value than the underlying bonds, with highly correlated risk and possibly unenforceable contracts... I dunno -- seems like the risk of chains of defaults is pretty plausible. And AIG didn't net their CDS trades, right? So far, we might have even been lucky.

Whalen might be a bit of a crank, but here's Satyajit Das, author of the industry standard work on swaps, writing in March of this year:

The CDS market entails complex chains of risk. This is similar to the re-insurance chains that proved so problematic in the case of Lloyds. … Over the last year, securitisation and the CDO (collateralised debt obligation) market have become dysfunctional. As the credit crisis deepens, the risk of actual defaults becomes real. Analysts expect the level of defaults to increase. The CDS market is about to be tested. While there have been a few defaults, the market has not had to cope with a large number of defaults at the same time. CDS contracts may experience problems and may be found wanting.​

Of course reading that link "The federal government has NO oversight over AIG. Its mess was SOLELY AIG's own doing, and they should consider themselves incredibly lucky that they were so big that the Fed felt it has to intercede" one cannot help but think that we should let it fail just so those witless selfish fuckers feel a bit of pain.

Definitely would be nice. The next time I get charged for going overdrawn I think I'm going to go fucking mental...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Vim, I think it was the CEO of LIFFE I heard. He was saying that his market had a better understanding of the actual liabilities and that the net default risk was small, especially if the underlying bonds don't default. But I dunno.

Economist: the perils of incrementalism = Gordon Brown, not bad, but you might consider splurging a bit more. Fuck. This is the economist - are we in wonderland?

Economist: obama's new economic team = new lot have better understanding of arse / elbow interface than the old lot. I look forward to screams of pain from disappointed lefties.

vimothy

yurp
Grievous Angel:

Thanks for the links. All very reasonable and I think we're in agreement. Don't get me wrong about Geithner et al -- I think it's a very good thing and that Obama has assembled an all-star team. Just interested in hearing (or reading) it from all sides. Maybe too many economists and not enough bankers, but I'm sure they can go and ask Emmanuel whenever they need any advice.

& re UK: more, er, splurge is the way to go!

DWD

Really? That's weird, because everything I've read about CDS suggest that if there's one derivative instrument that's really dangerous, it's CDS/synthetic CDO. I know Whalen says they're not systemic, but he's a minority in my experience. Where are you coming from? As I understand it, you have these chains of netted CDS that are purely speculative in nature and many times larger in value than the underlying bonds, with highly correlated risk and possibly unenforceable contracts... I dunno -- seems like the risk of chains of defaults is pretty plausible. And AIG didn't net their CDS trades, right? So far, we might have even been lucky.

There's nothing intrinsically dangerous about CDS - and Grievous is right, dealers don't use their CDS books to build up big one-way exposures. If they sell protection on a name, they'll turn round and buy protection later - so although the amount of protection being traded on an underlying name might dwarf the amount of bonds outstanding, that really doesn't tell you anything about the market's net risk.

AIG is a different story. As I understand it, their CDS business was more like that practiced by the monolines - they were selling protection on the super-senior tranches of securitised credit, which WAS a one-way bet.

The big problem with CDS is the market infrastructure - they could (and should) be standardised and traded on an exchange or at least via some kind of sturdy, robust clearing house. But they're not. Instead, you have these unwieldy daisy-chains of transactions which made life very complicated when Lehman went down. Still, the market coped - and for all the gripes over the years about whether CDS are enforceable or not, the contracts have been thoroughly tested by the credit events on Fannie, Freddie, Lehman, WaMu, the Icelandics - and they did what they have invariably done in the past: protection buyers got paid, protection sellers did the paying.

CDS really aren't the villains of this piece.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw one of the guys I used to work with on Saturday, he's been trading options on the Volkswagen account in Germany and, I was interested to learn, with the recent crazy movement in that stock he's made a profit of twenty-three million pounds in the last three weeks.

vimothy

yurp
There's nothing intrinsically dangerous about CDS - and Grievous is right, dealers don't use their CDS books to build up big one-way exposures. If they sell protection on a name, they'll turn round and buy protection later - so although the amount of protection being traded on an underlying name might dwarf the amount of bonds outstanding, that really doesn't tell you anything about the market's net risk.

I don't think anything I've said is in disagreement with that. (I can only assume you missed the derivatives discussion re notional value of the derivatives market with waffles -- the value of the insured is pretty clearly not the value of the insurance). I didn't say that CDS are intrinsically dangerous (not the point) and I said (you quoted it!) that dealers net their exposure.

AIG is a different story. As I understand it, their CDS business was more like that practiced by the monolines - they were selling protection on the super-senior tranches of securitised credit, which WAS a one-way bet.

I think I also picked up on this:

And AIG didn't net their CDS trades, right?

The big problem with CDS is the market infrastructure - they could (and should) be standardised and traded on an exchange or at least via some kind of sturdy, robust clearing house. But they're not. Instead, you have these unwieldy daisy-chains of transactions which made life very complicated when Lehman went down.

Indeed -- if they weren't OTC, if they weren't tying everyone together, if they really were hedges...

Lots of talk recently about moving CDS onto exchanges: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/df6bfa0c-bb31-11dd-bc6c-0000779fd18c.html

Still, the market coped - and for all the gripes over the years about whether CDS are enforceable or not, the contracts have been thoroughly tested by the credit events on Fannie, Freddie, Lehman, WaMu, the Icelandics - and they did what they have invariably done in the past: protection buyers got paid, protection sellers did the paying.

Yeah, and the press about turn re Lehman was pretty funny (before; after). I'm not sure whether this crisis constitutes a 'true' test, given the Fed's interventions. But lets hope everything continues to go so well.

CDS really aren't the villains of this piece.

In Defense of Credit Default Swaps

DWD

I don't think anything I've said is in disagreement with that. (I can only assume you missed the derivatives discussion re notional value of the derivatives market with waffles -- the value of the insured is pretty clearly not the value of the insurance). I didn't say that CDS are intrinsically dangerous (not the point) and I said (you quoted it!) that dealers net their exposure.

Whoops. Sorry - didn't mean to go off on one. In what way do you think CDS are dangerous, then?

Indeed -- if they weren't OTC, if they weren't tying everyone together, if they really were hedges...

A lot of them really are hedges. If dealers run balanced books, then pretty much half their default swaps will be offsetting other positions.

Lots of talk recently about moving CDS onto exchanges:

Yep. In fact, Eurex and the CME both launched exchange-traded credit derivatives some time back which were rejected by the market. At the time, no-one could see the point and the dealers were keen to protect their margins. That's bound to change now.

I'm not sure whether this crisis constitutes a 'true' test, given the Fed's interventions. But lets hope everything continues to go so well.

I can't imagine a better test than the bankruptcy of a common CDS reference entity that was also a major CDS dealer.

vimothy

yurp
Whoops. Sorry - didn't mean to go off on one. In what way do you think CDS are dangerous, then?

No worries. I'm just trying to understand what's going on and probably not doing a great job of it or of explaining what that understanding is. I don't think any of these instruments are necessarily bad or even that scary. And I'm sure that I only worry about credit default swaps because I've read stuff about them (Buffet, Roubini and the rest -- there is quite a literature) that implicates them in possible systemic financial crises. At any rate, I didn't sit at home and suddenly think "oh wait, wait a minute... CDS!" So (and given the obvious caveats about my limited knowledge, etc) I don't think they're villains, but I do worry that they might be dangerous. In what sense? Well, in the sense that they form these complex, invisible, concentrated, speculative chains interlinking all the financial institutions. For instance, if these trades were exchange traded, I don't think we'd be discussing CDS to the same extent. And, given the market size, gross numbers could be relevant. Their position re the bankruptcy process also seems problematic.

A lot of them really are hedges. If dealers run balanced books, then pretty much half their default swaps will be offsetting other positions.

I mean that a significant number of trades are 'naked' or synthetic shorts, rather than being insurance in any normal sense of the word. We can all understand insurance; it's the fact that they seem to have the opposite effect that's so startling, I suppose.

I can't imagine a better test than the bankruptcy of a common CDS reference entity that was also a major CDS dealer.

If you refer to AIG, didn't they get bailed-out by the US government to the tune of something quite substantial? LEH seems to be more encouraging (the sky didn't fall on our heads just yet).

DWD -- you're obviously a lot more knowledgeable on this, perhaps you can help me to understand: Absent massive and unprecedented government intervention, propping up institutions and providing liquidity, how would these instruments have performed? Do you think that lack of info about CDS exposure increases the reluctance of firms to lend to one another? And ok, so most institutions hedge, but somewhere, someone is a net buyer and someone a net seller of CDS -- someone has to take the hit. Isn't the uncertainty about where and when losses are going to materialise inherently destabilising? What about Whalen's complaint that collateral posted against worsening CDS positions is proving a huge drain on liquidity -- any truth to that? Similarly, is there any truth to the idea that CDS are a motivating factor behind the possible bail-out of Detroit? The people making aggressive assumptions on CDS and the likelihood of default and banking these assumptions in the form of bonuses (AIG's less than 400 person strong CDS dept in London split $3bn in bonuses over seven years) -- isn't that problematic too (and not just in a moral sense)?

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I think the problem with CDSes is when you introduce market opacity by bundling together assets with different risk profiles and pretend they have lower risk than they really have.

But I am exposing the limits of my knowledge here :). And doubtless the discussion has moved on from this...

DWD

I mean that a significant number of trades are 'naked' or synthetic shorts, rather than being insurance in any normal sense of the word. We can all understand insurance; it's the fact that they seem to have the opposite effect that's so startling, I suppose.

Right - I'm with you. It does seem counter-intuitive - but even synthetic shorts are a form of insurance. It's just that the rapid-fire trading of those positions makes it seem un-insurance like. For example, if you sell protection on a credit index like the ABX - a naked, synthetic short position - your counterparty has bought protection against deterioration in the credit quality of securitised subprime mortgages. That still looks like insurance. But if the ABX then widens significantly, forcing you to take mark-to-market losses so you put on a long position on the ABX as a hedge, it stops looking like an insurance business and starts looking like you're just betting on the direction of subprime credit quality - which is exactly what you're doing.

But most banks avoided taking those simple, directional bets. A lot of their credit trading business was about finding arbitrage opportunities. The simplest example I know is the negative basis trade - they'd go looking for companies where there was a sizeable gap between their bond spreads and their CDS spreads, and then hedge a wide bond with a less-expensive CDS: you end up with no credit risk on the bond because you're hedged and you just capture the difference between the two spreads. Do it with money that you've borrowed at practically zero-cost overnight rates and you make a nice return. So banks took huge, unrecognised liquidity risks - but they really didn't have a lot of appetite for outright credit risk.

If you refer to AIG, didn't they get bailed-out by the US government to the tune of something quite substantial? LEH seems to be more encouraging (the sky didn't fall on our heads just yet).

I was referring to Lehman. People have been talking about the CDS market being untested for years. Over that period there have been numerous defaults, big and small, and even crops of defaults like those in 02-03 ... but there's never been a default of a company which was both a popular CDS reference entity and a big CDS dealer. That's what happened with Lehman. The amount of money at stake on each Lehman CDS was significant - protection buyers ended up getting roughly 90 cents on the dollar - and everyone who had Lehman as a counterparty also needed to go and rehedge, but the market coped with both those effects.

DWD -- you're obviously a lot more knowledgeable on this
I don't know about that. Closer to it, maybe - but thats not worth a lot. What everyone wants to be able to do is separate cause from effect - but who can do that with something this complicated?

Absent massive and unprecedented government intervention, propping up institutions and providing liquidity, how would these instruments have performed?

Absent government intervention, I think most major international banks would now be dead. So, in that scenario, would default swaps have paid out? I don't know. Maybe - after a decade of bankruptcy proceedings. But in that eventuality, the CDS market would have been the last of our concerns. Every financial asset would have melted down - shareholders would be wiped out, bondholders would be queueing up at court, anyone with a swap of any kind would be left hanging, depositors would be rioting.

Do you think that lack of info about CDS exposure increases the reluctance of firms to lend to one another? And ok, so most institutions hedge, but somewhere, someone is a net buyer and someone a net seller of CDS -- someone has to take the hit. Isn't the uncertainty about where and when losses are going to materialise inherently destabilising?

Not especially. I think all the evidence suggests that the banks - the big intermediaries who are crucial to the continued functioning of the financial system - don't tend to have big one-way exposures in their CDS businesses. They might go long Company A and short index B, but those individual bets are fairly small and a lot of their trading was a wash. At the level of the entity itself the exposure is dwarfed by things like MBS and CDOs.

If you want to know where most CDS losses will materialise / are materialising, look to the hedge funds and insurance companies - those are the guys who tended to be net protection sellers.

What about Whalen's complaint that collateral posted against worsening CDS positions is proving a huge drain on liquidity -- any truth to that?

I know some hedge funds have been close to being forced out of business by collateral demands alone - but I'd be surprised if it's a widespread problem for the dealers, for the reasons outlined above.

Similarly, is there any truth to the idea that CDS are a motivating factor behind the possible bail-out of Detroit?

Frankly, I don't know - but I'm happy to speculate! Let's think about this: Ford and GM have been teetering on the brink for years now and there was a big credit market event when they were downgraded to junk in (I think) May or June 2005. Now, despite it being an open secret that they were both effectively walking dead, maybe people took advantage of the wide spreads on those guys to write lots of protection and those people are now sitting on potentially fatal losses if the companies go bankrupt. Could be. But it seems almost suicidal to build up a big net exposure to a company which everyone knows is a real default risk. That's not the kind of business that credit desks do - as mentioned above, they were looking for short-term anomalies between, say, cash and CDS markets, or within certain indices - not betting the bank on the continued health of a sickly company.

The people making aggressive assumptions on CDS and the likelihood of default and banking these assumptions in the form of bonuses (AIG's 40 person strong CDS dept in London split $3bn in bonuses over seven years) -- isn't that problematic too (and not just in a moral sense)?

This is one of the most interesting things about the whole crisis - the fact that the market was systematically underpricing credit risk, which encouraged people to take huge bets with borrowed money. It's easy to say now that they were wrong to do so - but people had been betting against the continuing depression of credit spreads for some time and losing money. Pimco's Gross started warning in 2003 (I think) that credit would start deteriorating and it just didn't happen. He made the same prediction in 2004, too, and he was wrong again. To be "right" you not only needed to know that credit risk was underpriced - you also needed to know when everyone else would wake up to that fact, otherwise you were standing there alone, building a sandcastle to hold back the tide.

Blimey. I didn't realise this was going to take so long. It's a mammoth reply. Please note that it's only this long because I enjoy talking about this stuff - most of it's probably wrong and I'll likely have changed my mind on it all by tomorrow anyway!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden

And I heard some superannuated tosser on the today programme bleating on about the inflation risk next year.

Like, "HELLOOOOO? CAN YOU SPELL DEFLATION?"

Anyway. 2%. Yawn. Maybe the tories are right, maybe it would have been better to fuck off the VAT cut and put the money straight into a tax cut for the lowest waged.

BTW, cf the economist a couple of weeks ago, I don't think the big motor firms are walking dead, there's huge opportunity in the car market (for better or worse...) because there'll be an explosion of car buying in emerging markets... they just need to be able to compete better.

I do get the sense from this whole crisis that it's - and I don't want to get all Marxist (yuk) in your ass - a product of the financial markets trying to get the world to go, well, faster than it really ought to for much of the last decade or so. Trying to squeeze much more financial growth - as opposed to economic growth - out of the real economy than it could actually support. Maybe this is a terribly gauche thing to say.