Studio - West Coast

dominic

Beast of Burden
It often takes somebody like Erol Alkan or Daft Punk or whoever to make/big up a record that reassesses people's tastes. Besides, there are only a small number of people (hipsters, if you will) that actually give a toss about these boundaries anyway. I'd like to think that I'm turned off by stuff that's done to death and completely critically accepted rather than music that's thought of as naff. I mean, I consider this a fantastic pop record: ;)

addressing points made upthread by gek-opel and swears . . . .

true, johnny hates jazz is a wonderful pop record

but as far as daft punk and basement jaxx, i never much cared for them

also not a fan of all that mid-90s trip hop/lounge/rephlex silliness

i'm interested in possibilities that are outside the binary of cheese (excess, self-indulgent silliness) versus middle-aged good taste

i want to hear something "new" and "delightful," but as for confounding my taste categories??? i don't think so . . . .

dominic

Beast of Burden
and the mungolian jet set sound discomfits in so far as it does remind me of, say, young american primitive

i.e., i suppose it is a "guilty pleasure" -- and therefore perhaps i am conceding gekopel's theoretical point???

another magnificent old timer's balearic track that "it ain't necessarily evil" reminds me of is "driving away from home"

the rub-n-tug bitches' version of "musical blaze up" is also in that vein, isn't it?

mainly for the quirky guitar parts, i suppose

Guybrush

Dittohead
(((rather embarrassed to confess that a lot of this stuff has been right under my nose, in terms of djs pushing the records and musicians getting remixed, and that i've only recently begun to take notice . . . . perhaps b/c i depend too much on dissensus for tips on music, and dissensus has been asleep on the balearic trend)))

Mungolian Jet Set - When You're in Need (Is a Constant Thing in Change)
Splendid Balearica from Norway with Bugge Wesseltoft behind the piano. The whole album is superb, but this is the stand-out track.
;)

Aaaaaanyway, here is a Norwegian review of Mungolian Jet Set’s album Beauty Came to Us in Stone — laboriously translated by yours truly. Most of the stylistic oddities are in the original text, so you know whom not to blame. =)

Exotica — a genre spawned by Martin Denny’s 1957 album with the same name. Although initially popular, it lost some of its commercial clout throughout the 60s. Denny’s album, and the genre it gave birth to, was mainly about conjuring images of an exotic place, preferably a distant resort, and about mentally transporting the listener from his sofa into the ‘jungle’. On Exotica, Denny strived to imitate the music of the islanders in Oceania, but the instrumentation he used bore little or no resemblance to the one actually used there.

It should go without saying what Strangefruit [one third of Mungolian Jet Set and one of Norway’s most famed DJs] is on to with this album. And to emphasize that it’s an album about imitations, the group’s name is spelled with a u, rather than with an o. However, to brand the album a mere genre exercise, aimed at manipulating the listeners’ ‘hearts and minds’, is a misnomer. It’s equally about immensely rhythmic club music and hard, dance-friendly beats. Strangefruit has sneaked in a truss of samples between the rhythms, and it’s these that form the backbone for the imitations and the ‘transportation’. There are samples of Rupert Hine’s band Quantum Jump — ‘Captain Boogaloo’ and ‘The Lone Ranger’ — the latter hit song lending an up-tempo sample to the fourth track, ‘Navigator’:

Taumata-whaka-tangi? hanga-ku-ay-uwu? tamate-aturi-tekaku-piki-maunga? horonuku-apokai-awhaka-whenu-tahu? mataku-atananu-akaba-miki-tora.​

This is simply a chant in Maori, and thusly the Maori name for a town in New Zealand [sic]. Incorporated into a texture simmering with intense and funky rhythms, it truly brings the listener’s fantasy afoot. Furthermore, there are samples of gypsy singing on ‘Technon Thai’. And the last track, ‘When You’re in Need (Is a Constant Thing in Change)’, features no one less than Lappish singer Nils Aslak Valkeapää. ‘Technon Thai’ is perhaps the coolest track — Håvard Wiik’s wringing and tonedropping on a Fender Rhodes shepherds it unto the climes of Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew. Wiik is but one of many invited musicians spicying things up; others include: Ingebrigt Håker Flaten (bass guitar), Wetle Holte (percussion), Paal Nilssen-Love (percussion), Roger Ludvigsen (guitar), Bugge Wesseltoft (‘rhythms’) and Jan Bang (‘rhythms’). What strikes you after a few sittings with Beauty Came to Us in Stone, apart from it being a quaint stimulus for the feet and the intellect alike, is the musicality it must have taken moulding such disparate elements into an euphonious whole.

The album sprang out of a wish from Bugge Wesseltoft for Strangefruit to produce an album for the Jazzland Records label in the spirit of Miles Davis’ electrical period. On the whole, it’s clear that Strangefruit paid heed to the instructions, but Miles is but one of several influences to imbue this brilliant album. Adding to those already mentioned, Strangefruit has added to the sonic canvas a jungle of elusive sound bites, which add to the album being difficult to stamp with a brand. Beauty Came to Us in Stone is in many ways a horn of ebullience, with baroque elements and ornaments occupying every nook of its being. Even if it brushes against exotica, IDM, jazz, funk, glitch and funk, it defies classification. Beauty Came to Us in Stone is simply a firework of a record.

— Carl Kristian Johansen, 22.01.2007

Tim F

"i'm interested in possibilities that are outside the binary of cheese (excess, self-indulgent silliness) versus middle-aged good taste"

Conversely, I would be sad if Mungolian Jet Set abandoned what cheesiness they do have, which is not an excessive amount I would think.

(anyway what are we talking about here? Their remixes of LSB and Ost & Kjex?)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The interesting bit is how the elements we perceive as the cheese are frequently what previously would have been heard as the very height of middle-aged good taste (all those lush AM yacht-rock chops).

dominic

Beast of Burden
"i'm interested in possibilities that are outside the binary of cheese (excess, self-indulgent silliness) versus middle-aged good taste"

Conversely, I would be sad if Mungolian Jet Set abandoned what cheesiness they do have, which is not an excessive amount I would think.

(anyway what are we talking about here? Their remixes of LSB and Ost & Kjex?)

Ost & Kjex remix -- intelligent crafting, but very cheesy -- i love the main lyric lines, and most of the vocal sounds that compliment those parts -- but a lot of the drums and percussion parts??? it's like i've heard this programming before in 90s tribal house or trance . . . . again, it has a wonderful zaniness that i like, and yet ultimately it's a cocktail that i'll pass on

(and the "da da da dum dum dum" vocal lines that feature in so much of their music, both to good and bad effect, are ART OF NOISE-inspired, yes?)

Pizzy Yelliot -- "Could You Be Loved" -- this is a really strong track for the first half -- zany and hilarious in the best sense -- but once the acid line comes in, it just ruins it -- and the "don't push me, cause it's your birthday" bit is, sorry to say, just too cheesy and idiotic -- this is the kind of song that gets on a man's nerves -- really, i would be very happy to never hear another 303 acid line again in my life

Bebel Gilberto -- "Bring Back the Love" -- this remix really doesn't do anything for me -- rather boring -- last bit has one or two nice noises, but they don't take it anywhere -- not a good remix

Mira Boine -- this is the one that got my attention (see upthread) -- but even this, despite its brilliance, has parts that i find hard to take -- certain sounds that mar the record -- not sure how to describe the sound, it's a percussive sound that's like a serpent's tongue, and which used to feature in a lot of 70s-inspired 90s house tracks -- and that sound features here and detracts from my enjoyment . . . .

so i don't know

mungolian jet set gets my attention, whereas most stuff doesn't -- so they're doing something right

and it's all very refreshing after 7/8 years of cold cynical electro "tartiness" (otm term used by someone upthread)

and yet these music trends are so damn cyclical!

precursors for mungolian jet set =

art of noise, "paranoima"

tranquility bass, "cantimilla" and young american primitive, "reality of nature"

we could even perhaps say a smidgen of fat boy slim, albeit much less sample driven

and of course martin denny and it's immaterial, as variously noted upthread . . . .

for kitschy exotica in a dance music context, i'll take, however, gigi galaxy -- b/c it isn't cheesy nor is it entirely in good taste -- kinky but with restraint! -- and yet you might say that gigi galaxy lacks pop invention and musicianship

so you know . . . .

Last edited: