Woofah issue 1: Reggae/Dubstep/Grime fanzine OUT

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, he's a badman writer, I think in five years he'll either have his own tv show or be dead.

Or both.

Seriously, seriously talented.

gek-opel

entered apprentice

YES!

MAY TANG AND Terry Limehouse were feasting on spaghetti and meatballs at Franco's cafe, near Charlotte Street. The two Dissonance FM producers were enjoying an afternoon around the Old Street area, planning a documentary about bloggers for their "Hear Me Now" slot.

"I've got most of the big names nailed down," May said through a gobful of pasta. "Simon Reynolds, Matt Ingram, Marcello Carlin, Geeta Dayal - that guy from the West Country who used to do Physicsbloke blog - you know, the usual. The one person I don't think we'll get, though, is Suzie the Jew!"

"That'd be a damn shame," Limehouse said mournfully, as he unsuccessfully tried to loop 15 centimetres of spaghetti around his fork. "She's a genius - listeners would flock to our show if they knew they'd get to hear her voice on air."

"She's a total mystery," May nodded. "All we know about her is that she's a poet who lives somewhere in Golders Green and occasionally does completely mad posts where she links paradigm shifts in 20th century philosophy to old episodes of 'The A Team'. I sent her an email asking if she'd like to participate - this is her reply".

Last edited:

blubeat

blubeat
Hi Blu! - we can always work out payment by cheque but it is a pain in the arse - hope you like the mag! We've got it in warpmart and Dub Vendor too now...

Hiya - Having it available via BoomKat works for me as I have an account with them. Subscription would be a bonus - for me and probably you. Maybe have a mailing list subscribe option on the website?

BTW John I was gutted to miss your set @ DOTS but I didnt get their until nearly midnight and I was pretty sure it was you down the front but sure enough to come and say hi!

elgato

I just dont know
that blog is amazing, so ridiculously funny. the one about the internet sentinel was shockingly deep also, cant wait to continue through the archives!

blubeat

blubeat
Hmmm...still not received it from Boomkat tho it shows up on the products page in my account and I'm not sure I've had email notification from them...

blubeat

blubeat
Received!

A) It's smaller than I thought (height not width)

B) It's fucking brilliant!

(sorry but I couldn't express it any better. I could try harder if you are looking for a more printable testimonial) :)

EDIT: LOL! The back of my head made it onto the back page in Claire's shot at BASH! If you want to use any of the photos I've taken at BASH/DMZ/ DOTS, etc please help yourself:

http://flickr.com/photos/80188639@N00/collections/72157600068908658/

Last edited:

Clubberlang

Wow

Huge props to John for getting this to me in basically a heartbeat (from UK to SF!) I ordered it on Tuesday afternoon at 4-ish and it was sitting in my mailbox when I went home for lunch. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks great.

shudder

meant to say: got this on Monday, and it's great! Lurve the Martin C story with the whiny music journalists going to a dubstep rave instead of a grime one for fear of being shot and then having their mag explode!

I know I'm late but I just wanted to big up everyone involved in this, ordered it from Warp last week and got it this morning, great stuff, interesting read. Can't wait for number 2.

nomos

Administrator
erratum - due to a clerical error, the contributors page has me living in montreal (that would be nice) and running dubstep.ca, which actually belongs to some guys in toronto, so i don't want to look like i'm taking credit for it.

shudder

erratum - due to a clerical error, the contributors page has me living in montreal (that would be nice) and running dubstep.ca, which actually belongs to some guys in toronto, so i don't want to look like i'm taking credit for it.

yeah, I was wondering about all that.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

even worse, the record player in my kitchen has just broken ;)

full of errors, that mag.

blubeat

blubeat
I initially thought that this magaine was good value but I underestimated the hidden costs of buying it. Another package arrived from Amazon last night with the Tippa Irie CD enclosed. It must be about the sixth or seventh album I have bought based on reviews in Woofah.

I would ask for some sort of warning to be placed on the cover of the next edition. :)

PS - On the track "The UK" there's a little reggae sample from a really well known reggae track that I have umpteen copies of but frustratingly can't name today, anyone? I'm just upping the track.

john eden

male pale and stale
Ha ha! Eminently quotable!

007 / shanty town - see also the recent recuts on Big Yard inc Shaggy, Collie Budz, Rayvon.

(or rather don't, if you want to save money ;) )

Thanks for the feedback and nice thoughts everyone. Issue 1 is now sold out pretty much everywhere.

Issue 2 soon come, but probably more like early 08 rather than late 07.

I don't want to give too much away about the contents yet, but I will say that the last copy of issue 1 was hand delivered to Tippa Irie...

Last edited: