This years The Books/Animal Collective/Junior Boys?

Jesus...I didn't think I listened exclusively to 'street' music, but I don't know a fucking thing about all these acts you guys are talking about. Fennesz is good, so are the Junior boys, but as for the rest...I've no idea what you're all on about. To be honest, I'm not really that switched-on to the latest sounds anyway. Today I've just been listening to old Joey Beltram tracks. Works for me every time....

jwd

WOEBOT said:
i do have a feeling jwd is gonna lambast her as the new cyndi lauper, but i can live with that.

nah actually she's not bad, joanna newsom, i just wish she'd write a song as beautiful as "time after time".

nick.K

gabba survivor
I've not heard the album but I've seen her perform many times and she can cerrtainly generate a presence on stage, I didn't know if I should watch or listen... Highlight = dog barks

Woebot

nick.K said:
I've not heard the album but I've seen her perform many times and she can cerrtainly generate a presence on stage, I didn't know if I should watch or listen... Highlight = dog barks
yeah shes purdy too. i think shes on a tour of the provinces at the moment. going to manchester, glasgow and bristol in the next week. give joey (and richard lol) a rest, check the listings gutter and get down there.

jed_

jwd said:
"Timecode" is fantastic isn't it.

Indeed it is - but it's a disco-nouveau track, surely, not a microhouse track as i understand it. If timecode is micro then so was the Metro Area album (and it certainly wasn't).

nick.K

gabba survivor
he's no breakthrough act but people should check out a track called Oxygen by Wi11y Ma5on, the album's quite strong too. I haven't heard a recorded version that matches his live performance. To sound like dylan and unplugged Kobain without coming across as pretentious is quite a feat. That said, I biased, I just spent 3 weeks on the road with him, just the two of us. And the oxygen track made sure I didn't have to pay for any hotels; the chicks just melt

S

simon silverdollar

this years junior boys = jimmy edgar. slinky + shimmery r n b & electro joy.

thanks for the recommendation, nick gutterbreakz!

mms

sometimes
simon silverdollar said:
this years junior boys = jimmy edgar. slinky + shimmery r n b & electro joy.

thanks for the recommendation, nick gutterbreakz!

know where you are coming from but it's all a big samey to me over an 6 tracker
the mould of detroit techno and r and b bent out of shape with odd timings and dsp, effects and that, too much pitchbending and fake scratching effects, quite post-windowlicker, i dunno, it didn't leave me feeling anything.

mms said:
know where you are coming from but it's all a big samey to me over an 6 tracker
the mould of detroit techno and r and b bent out of shape with odd timings and dsp, effects and that, too much pitchbending and fake scratching effects, quite post-windowlicker, i dunno, it didn't leave me feeling anything.

Blimey, you're a difficult one to please! And you've just listed all the things I think are great about it. My man Edgar is THE SHIT.

mms

sometimes
i don't actually dislike it at all after 6 tracks tho it's a bit much of the same thing over again.

mms said:
i it's a bit much of the same thing over again.

yeah I know what you mean, but I've always liked that 'tunnel vision' vibe. I have eclectic tastes (believe it or not) but love the purity of a singular vision, basically rinsing every micro-possibilty out of an idea. And when the idea's as sexy as Jimmy's, it's a place I can stay in for a couple more album's worth yet...

mms

sometimes
ohh the song title "i wanna be your std " is not in my mind a sexy thing.. almost puts me off listening to it. :D

Last edited:

juliand

"...an immense cortege of undertaker's mutes"

Bourgeois music would be something else entirely, would it not? From Baudelaire's "To the Bourgeois": "You are the majority, in number and intelligence; therefore you are the force---which is justice..."

Would not bourgeois music then be the iTunes Top Ten? Maroon 5, Eminem, the New U2? A Ray Charles best-of, and "Live Licks"? Certainly no "micro-house" (which sounds like a 4x4 house tune that's only 5 seconds long).
You've got your bourgeoisie all messed up with the intelligentsia, I think. Everyone's "bourgie" choices seem very indie-smart and collegiate.

With that in mind, the intelligentsiac songs that are keeping me together would be the White Magic EP; Gang Gang Dance LP; the new Vanishing LP; Diplo Rhythm....and.....urrrr.... I am having a hard time not reaching back six months to "Give me every little thing". Though none of it quite seems to fit the "forward-thinking" agenda satisfactorily, does it?

Maybe the category is itself rear-guard, or "museal"? Joanna Newsom sounds like Bjork doing covers of the Anthology of American Folk Music to me; I find it too studied and Garrison-Keilloresque. (But then I live at neo-folk ground zero; perhaps familiarity breeds contempt?). Jimmy Edgar EP I thought sounded like the horrible Prefuse 73 (itself Samba Autechre...eurrggh). Though them new tracks up on bleep sound somewhat less dire.

But then I'm listening to the Guerilla Black LP constantly, whose ersatz character makes it indigestible to intelligenstia and burgher alike; my listening habits and "foward thinking" may be profoundly out-of-sync right now.

Last edited:

juliand

dub tar pit

No, though I did think the "STD" song you posted was a step up. What did you think of the Milanese? I liked it but didn't enjoy it, if that makes any sense. I LOVED the kode 9/daddy gee "sign of the dub". as a song it simply exists, a "real time status", rather than "going somewhere". it's similar to a shinehead 12" i have, a cover of "diamonds in the back," in which a profoundly stoned DJ mumbles in his slow, basso voice throughout: gas bubbles rising through dub molasses

Last edited:
juliand said:
What did you think of the Milanese? I liked it but didn't enjoy it, if that makes any sense. I LOVED the kode 9/daddy gee "sign of the dub".

Oh yeah, I'm sold on Milanese. I really should write something about him sometime. This and Jimmy's latest are what I'd call mini-albums, which is why they're not in my 'best albums of 04' list, being the pedantic muthafucka that I am.

'Sign of the dub' is a bit special, isn't it? Probably why I was a little underwhelmed by Kode 9's 'Grime 2' offerings was cos they were a bit lacking by comparison.